SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread
Jan 6, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #736 of 1,386
Without AMP HP100 would not give you all that bass: detailed and well structured down to very low frequency. On the previous page I talked about the sound from iPhone5. 
It seems that impedance curve do have a peak on the low end. The mid bass would present, but sub bas would change to very soft and weak. In other words, directly from iDevices you'll get a fall in frequency respond below ~100Hz. 
But with Denon D600, bass is well present with iPhone5. In fact without amp D600 is more bass sounding phones, than with it. 

That's weird, when I listened to the HP100s straight from my Galaxy S4 there was plenty of Sub-bass but hardly any mid-bass.

I didn't get a chance to try them with an amp the first time I had them so I've ordered them again to try them with the C5D.

Jan 6, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #737 of 1,386
Ok, you would get that bass sound with smartphone, but it would be a very light version of a bass you'll get with an amp (or it was due to different DAC in my combo Audinst mx2). Bass without amp is not detailed at all. 
So as a result of not detailed sound and very light and soft version of bass sound, I conclude about peak in impedance.

Jan 6, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #738 of 1,386
JDS Labs C5D

I'll search on that one, thanks!

I tried with Fiio e17, but even versions like e07 would be enough.  Versions e11 and e12 would be sufficient for 300 Ohm phones.
It is interesting to mention that using a Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro (250 Ohm version) with iPhone5 without any amp, and with Fiio e17, I didn't get any difference in sound. 

But you should go for a better research, as every portable amp do have different sound. Some are warm, other have more bass or treble sound. Here was a good comparison of compact amps, you should read it. 

I'll take a look to this thread but i guess the most neutral approach will better suit my needs. Thanks too

Jan 6, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #739 of 1,386
Ok, you would get that bass sound with smartphone, but it would be a very light version of a bass you'll get with an amp (or it was due to different DAC in my combo Audinst mx2). Bass without amp is not detailed at all. 
So as a result of not detailed sound and very light and soft version of bass sound, I conclude about peak in impedance.

We'll see when I get them back. What I heard already was very tight and detailed, not to mention deep. If it's improved on I'll be very impressed (especially if it doesn't need to detract from the upper bass/lower mids to achieve it).

Jan 27, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #740 of 1,386
Hi. I just decided to keep the shure 840 (see

http://www.head-fi.org/t/702179/why-i-chose-shure-shr840-and-not-akg-271-beyer-770-990-250-ath-m50 )

, until I stumbled upon these HP100, and this review. So I just returned 840, as there were a few issues I wasn’t happy with. I’ll be ordering the HP100 todayJ But I was wondering, if there was any “intel” on the headband on these? Does it have a standard steel frame? Because I was thinking maybe doing a senn 650 headband mod.

Anyways thanks for a great review.

Jan 27, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #741 of 1,386
Dont know about modding the headband, you could just tape the headband pad to the original one if you find comfort a problem

Jan 27, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #745 of 1,386
  You'll be happy with these I'm sure

I sure hope so:)
By the way, I read a lot about the recommendation of a amp for them.

My setup at this time i a focusrite scarlett 2i2 and presonus HP4 amp. The idea was to have the audio interface for some light (at some point) plying around with some music, and the amp for a headphone like the 770 - 250.
My question is; would the HP100 benefit from the audio interface alone, or should I keep the amp too (I still have a couple of days, before the return posibility expires)?

Or maybe just return both the audio interface and amp, and get a dac/amp?
Any way I can get a DAC/amp with room for monitors?

Jan 28, 2014 at 3:47 AM Post #746 of 1,386
A dedicated amp+DAC is always best, something like the E17 would be fine.

Jan 30, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #747 of 1,386
So I got my HP100 today.
A few notes:
Sound is great, read the review for more detal on this.
It get's a bit hot in here, and it's winter:) But I will probably try out the Beyerdynamic velour pads i have lying around. And though the headband is far better than the shur 840, it's not amazing.
It has some ruffling sounds in the cup, when the cable brushes up against the shoulder, but it's ok. Not as bad as the AKG...
The coiled cable... Why... I just dont get it how hard can It be? First of all it's super short, and why did they coil it so far up? When sitting at the desk, the heavy coil pulls on the cans... If I keep these headphones, I need to find a non destructive way to straighten out the "upper" part of the cable.
The big question (for me) is, or they worth the extra 70 USD over the shure 840. Seeing as the 840 has the perfect coiled cable in my opinion and great noise reduction. and the headband can easiely be modded, which I kind of would enjoy doing. and the ear pads can be replaced with velour pads from the 940.I have to say, the HP100 does have a more fun sound sound. Where the shure is a little more neutral, but still enjoyable. 
At the moment, I'm also trynig to figure out, if I need my headphone amp or the focusrite 2i2 will be enough. I'll also compare them, to the E17, which should be coming in tomorrow.  

Jan 30, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #749 of 1,386
Well, It should be doable, but does it stay on? I mean It doesn't have the locking mech I guess? And I would actually prefere a coiled cable, but with a bit longer traight part, so the coiled part could lay on the table, only.

Feb 1, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #750 of 1,386
How portable are these and how durable are they? I'm looking for neutral, slightly warm cans but I do most of my listening in libraries and cafes with the X3. Can I carry them back and forth every day  in a bag without being overly concerned about breakage?

Edit: Also how would these compare with minimally self modded (1-2 hours) Fostex t50s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back