SoundMagic E50 & E80 - Story of Two Magicians - A Review...
Sep 17, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #61 of 99
Ok today after shipping delays (holiday and suchs) I finally get my E80.

With stock tips, I put them on and plug to my i9000, play a few track from Rebelution - famous for their U sound signature, and the response was.. where's the highs' sparkle? and the slight anemic bass keep bugging me. also sibilant with my favorite Liza Hanim track. Impressions? Really made me wonder if I should open WTS sale on lowyat forum (local). :wink:

But the transparency and resolution is amazing. The high don't have enough sparkle for my taste but they sound very natural and extend very well. I can't quite make the bass. From my memory E50 bass is better.

After an hour and few tip rolling I settle with comply small tips and iphone as source

listening again to Polica I'm still looking for the answer of the slow pace puzzle. But the understanding of resolution and transparency is fairly new to me.

Extended listening to Liza Hanim's acoustic album, "Di Mana Kan Ku Cari Ganti", the E80 really start to grow on me. Nuance and details that remind me of whats I've been missing all these years listening to cheap and stock iem. 

Sep 17, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #62 of 99
The IEM changes when you feed it through a capable amp, extending dynamic on both ends, thumping bass, more sparkles, more realistic vocal, less mid-forward. Yes, you can get it quite loud from a phone like I also do, but it'll be quite polite (might be a good thing depending on your mood actually).

Sep 17, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #63 of 99
The IEM changes when you feed it through a capable amp, extending dynamic on both ends, thumping bass, more sparkles, more realistic vocal, less mid-forward. Yes, you can get it quite loud from a phone like I also do, but it'll be quite polite (might be a good thing depending on your mood actually).

+1

Sep 17, 2015 at 3:58 AM Post #64 of 99
I don't have an amp currently, my primary DAP is just my iPhone 5. Will try with my laptop at home.

However after these few hours listening the anemic bass are starting to gone away even when listening to big bass buddha bar tune. with highs extension and excellent timbre I didn't really miss the sparkle so much.

Right now I'm just enjoying it for what its worth (the best I own so far in terms of sound quality), I can always reach to my Evo at home to hear the sparkle I love. :)

thanks guys.

Sep 17, 2015 at 4:08 AM Post #65 of 99
It's actually quite enjoyable straight without amp :D. The lower treble etch can be a tad too much depending on the recording through an amp imo.

I think if Soundmagic makes the lower treble less forward, upper mid (female vocal) a bit more airier, and adds a biit more sparkles, it'll be an even bigger bargain. I think the bass is fine as it is amped, although it can be a bit more detailed. Maybe E100? :wink:

They've made something truly amazing for $65. I can't imagine how it'll be if they seriously aim for high end market lol.

Sep 17, 2015 at 4:31 AM Post #66 of 99
  It's actually quite enjoyable straight without amp :D. The lower treble etch can be a tad too much depending on the recording through an amp imo.

I think if Soundmagic makes the lower treble less forward, upper mid (female vocal) a bit more airier, and adds a biit more sparkles, it'll be an even bigger bargain. I think the bass is fine as it is amped, although it can be a bit more detailed. Maybe E100? :wink:

They've made something truly amazing for $65. I can't imagine how it'll be if they seriously aim for high end market lol.

Thanks for the kind words about the E80. There may be a product arriving before the end of 2015 to satisfy your high end needs...

Sep 17, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #67 of 99

Thanks for the kind words about the E80. There may be a product arriving before the end of 2015 to satisfy your high end needs...

Well, I'll be! I guess it's time to save up.
biggrin.gif

Sep 17, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #68 of 99
  Well, I'll be! I guess it's time to save up.
biggrin.gif

Yeah, umm, nice little tidbit to drop there! After the E80, consider me very interested. Whenever it may come :)

Sep 18, 2015 at 2:37 AM Post #69 of 99
Last night as I listen to most of my playlist I find that E80 treble too hot for my ear (mostly affect my favorite vocal and reggae playlist)

The review from here describe my experience with edgy treble perfectly.

So ultimately after digging a lot, I decided to EQ my iphone toning down 6K using EqualizerEverywhere. Its either EQ or letting it go, which pop a lot on my mind. Hope I won't miss anything important around that region. Good news is it worked!

Maybe amp can partially fix that but no plan getting one in near future.

Sep 21, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #70 of 99
How would you describe the sound signature of the E80? I'm currently using the GR07 as mi daily driver, and i think it's the perfect balance between neutrality and fun, neutral but slightly enhanced in the bass and treble to avoid sounding dull or lifeless, having also the RE400 i've found that, while the mids are superb, the low end is lacking, the soundstage sounds small compared to the GR07, and overall sounds dull, is the E80 as dull or more lively? Also eyeing the E50 as a backup pair, so i don't know if you guys or someone that has the same IEM's can help, thanks guys!

Sep 25, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #71 of 99
One week listening to E80 really challenge my understanding of what Soundmagic had created here.

NUMEROUS time, whenever I felt that E80 sounded too hot and egdy, I'm thinking of letting this iem go. But almost always the next time I roll tips it kept me admiring how GREAT these little iem can perform.

Right now I settle with double flange for balance of crisp high. Comply seems to smother the high and give bass some body but they didn't sound transparent enough. All other stock tips sound too edgy for my ear. Right tip might be the key here, I roll all my available tips from Panasonic, Philips, Awei and Piston. 

Perhaps they tuned the sound so close to the edge that theres not enough room for error. Even everyday mood changes the sound perception a little bit. 

I never had any high end reference cans or iem to compare nor great DAP / AMP to test extensively (living in small town with only one friend having the same hobby - both are broke :) ), but I think i'll hang on to this gem a little longer. Also gave me serious enough thought to invest in portable amp.

Sep 25, 2015 at 3:52 AM Post #72 of 99
One week listening to E80 really challenge my understanding of what Soundmagic had created here.

NUMEROUS time, whenever I felt that E80 sounded too hot and egdy, I'm thinking of letting this iem go. But almost always the next time I roll tips it kept me admiring how GREAT these little iem can perform.

Right now I settle with double flange for balance of crisp high. Comply seems to smother the high and give bass some body but they didn't sound transparent enough. All other stock tips sound too edgy for my ear. Right tip might be the key here, I roll all my available tips from Panasonic, Philips, Awei and Piston. 

Perhaps they tuned the sound so close to the edge that theres not enough room for error. Even everyday mood changes the sound perception a little bit. 

I never had any high end reference cans or iem to compare nor great DAP / AMP to test extensively (living in small town with only one friend having the same hobby - both are broke :) ), but I think i'll hang on to this gem a little longer. Also gave me serious enough thought to invest in portable amp.

What's your source? These really shouldn't be edgy.

Sep 25, 2015 at 4:31 AM Post #73 of 99
What's your source? These really shouldn't be edgy.

Iphone 5 with alac / m4a / mp3 320kbps / Spotify . Right now with double flange or comply tips its sound great. maybe its just my ear.

Sep 25, 2015 at 4:42 AM Post #74 of 99
Nope, I think they can sound edgy depending on the recording too although not at all song. Different people may have different tolerance to different frequencies though.

As for tips selection, my trusty spinfit foam mod is doing great for me personally. :D

Sep 27, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #75 of 99
Hello everyone! I am new to the forums. I am confused between the Soundmagic E50 and E80, and I have gone through all the reviews. I have listened to Soundmagic E30 (I preferred this one a lot), and also E10. The new E50 and E80 just have a $5 price difference. I would like to know which one would be best for me: I listen to classical and soundtracks mostly, apart from pop, country (like Taylor Swift) sometimes. Which one would be suited for me? Please reply. I don't want to buy both (Saving up for a good AMP)

P.S. I just want the better sounding headphone - better soundstage, resolution, clarity and detail!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back