SoundMagic E50 & E80 - Story of Two Magicians - A Review...
Aug 2, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #46 of 99
Aug 2, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #47 of 99
Hello, I'm currently almost exclusively using Soundmagic PL50s but looking to get a pair of E80S IEMs. Anyone know where the S model is available (happy to buy from aliexpress), ideally not in red and to ship to the UK.

Also, is anyone able to compare the sound of the E80 with the PL50? Thanks!

Aug 2, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #50 of 99
Hey, no problem.

I hope it was OK posting the link here
smily_headphones1.gif

Sure. I've added your review to the OP.

Aug 3, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #52 of 99
Hello, I'm currently almost exclusively using Soundmagic PL50s but looking to get a pair of E80S IEMs. Anyone know where the S model is available (happy to buy from aliexpress), ideally not in red and to ship to the UK.

Also, is anyone able to compare the sound of the E80 with the PL50? Thanks!

Hi,

We are still waiting on a delivery date for E80S in the UK. As soon as they arrive, they will be available to purchase on Amazon or http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/

Thanks,

Mark

Aug 3, 2015 at 8:02 AM Post #53 of 99

From my memory, the e80 only has a slightly more pronounced bass compared to RE-400 (I could be wrong the last time I tried it as I was only powering the RE-400 with Clip+). So, if you're looking for a bit of fun I think the Fidue A73 would be the way to go. As much as I love the e80, I'd consider it boring to most people that are not looking a neutral sound signature. The bass only kicks in when it is really called for so far in the tracks I've heard. Even when it does, it doesn't really stands out of the rest of the frequency and grabs your attention.

EDIT:

I was just listening to Daft Punk's One More Time and Harder Better Faster Stronger, and the bass is really punchy, tight, quick, and not fatiguing. I could probably wear this for hours! Hope this helps.

Quote:

This was my first impression too. I won't lie, I didn't enjoy it that much because I'm hardly an audiophile and I'm pretty new to this game; I need that element of fun and these just didn't seem to have any on first listen, even if it was obvious the detail and such was very good.

Then I played with the EQ in poweramp a bit... and again, I'm no audiophile but its clear to me that the bass on these things is truly amazing. Just a small boost in the sub rolling down (like a typical 'rock' setting) and it gets more powerful, definitely some rumble and impact but still really tight and accurate. I think its as good as the mids and better than the treble. Overall I think these things are just designed to do what they're told, so you want more bass, they'll give it to you. They're definitely one of the best I've bought so far. 

I suspect that if someone wanted more bass for a plane flight or simply for kicks, they could (partially) block the front vent next to the tip with a bit of removable masking tape. Maybe one of you could try it.

Aug 9, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #56 of 99
Thanks for the great review, it made me want the e80s really bad. I'd like to buy these as an upgrade from my e30, but I'm very afraid that my phone (i9000) won't be able to make them sound good. How do they sound directly from a smartphone? Do they require an amp to achieve comfortable volume?

Aug 9, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #57 of 99
Thanks for the great review, it made me want the e80s really bad. I'd like to buy these as an upgrade from my e30, but I'm very afraid that my phone (i9000) won't be able to make them sound good. How do they sound directly from a smartphone? Do they require an amp to achieve comfortable volume?

Volume is fine on my Z3 compact, which I do not believe has the most powerful output. Unless you know your phone has particularly low output I don't think volume will be a problem. 

Aug 9, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #58 of 99

You should be able to root the i9000 and add Viper4Android or similar sound mods, which will allow you to drive any but the most demanding headphones.

Sep 10, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #60 of 99
Hi guys. Today I had the chance to try both E50 and E80 at a local distro. I listen to both around 30-40 minutes.

Now there's an issue that puzzling me. Hope you guys could point me to the right answer.

When I tried E80 the fist few seconds with track Polica - I saw my mother, I suddenly start to giggle. Can't stop giggling till the shop owner noticed me and I had to stop listening to explain to him why.

The sound is so.. (Insert puzzle)! Ok this is the 2nd time I experienced it. First is when I listed to my friend's momentum m2 on ear.

What I'm hearing is that the pace of song suddenly seem slower. It's very noticeable. I still heard the same song of course and same source (iPhone 5). Like the song is in slow motion.

What is it exactly that I'm hearing? Before that at another shop I auditioned beyer & Sennheiser iem. I can hear different presentation among various iem but E80 sound so.. (Puzzle) even E50 doesn't sound like that.

E80 is now on highest position on a very short list (ostry, hifiman re400, e50 / e80)

To some that asked if portable can drive it, I use my iPhone 5 to 70-80 % volume to get my desired loudness. Don't have time to test with my i9000 with voodoo but I can tell that i9000 can go louder than my iPhone 5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back