Soundcards...
Nov 20, 2008 at 12:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

fameh

100+ Head-Fier
Hello
beerchug.gif

I'm a newbie in head-fi and i'm constructing my first respectable system
tongue.gif
. I readed much posts here but still im in trouble with the soundcard. Hope some mate can help me a bit.

1st to say is that i bought one pair of Beyers 990's 2005 (250Ω) for my electronic music listening on PC (and i will use them only there). At the moment i have an integrated horrible Realtek and i like to improve it.

Well, my budget for the soundcard should be <=100$, as i broke my piggy bank for the Beyers and still i have to buy an amp.
Two important limitations are:
- Interface must be USB (preferently but not very important) or PCI. I have no PCI-e left. That puts down the Asus Xonar DX, for example.
- I live in Europe. Thats a problem sometimes to find things for example like Audiotrak Prodigy HD2, which i readed in previous posts that is good and has a good price at floridamusic, but not trying to buy here.

Then my blind-newbie-eyes finds only as solution X-Fi Extreme Music, Creative Surround X-FI 5.1 USB and Asus Xonar U1. Any other idea?? Does anyone here know which of those is better for music?

Is neccesary to consider something about PC-soundcard if im planning to buy soon a ~110$ (portable/desktop) amp on my system to improve my cans? (Better continue with Realtek and buy 170$ amp? maybe?) I think no, but not sure
confused_face(1).gif

Sorry for the ammount of questions. I readed much posts but im still quite confused
ph34r.gif

Any help would be very apretiated.
Thanks mates =]

Nov 20, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #2 of 7
The iBasso D2 Boa looks like your best option, takes care of the soundcard issue and the portable amp too, will cost you 165USD + Shipping. The problem would be customs duties/VAT when entering the EU/Spain. :\

Nov 20, 2008 at 10:53 PM Post #3 of 7
Yeah! Thanks, mate
smily_headphones1.gif

Seems a very good tool in my needing of soundcard+amp, and its not out of my price! I didnt know it!

Reading the posts of the headfiers, Ibasso D2 Boa seems a very very good product in quality/price. Seems im going to try to take one
tongue.gif

Nov 22, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #4 of 7
Nov 29, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #5 of 7
A PCI alternative for you would be that Asus Xonar D1. It's essentially the same card as the DX, but fits in a PCI slot.

The Asus Xonar D2 is PCI as well (and comparable to the D2X), but it's outside of your budget at ~$150.

I guess a lot depends on what you will primarily use it for, and (if you're a gamer) what OS you are using.

I've read good things about the iBasso D2 Boa too, though. Out of curiosity why do you prefer a USB option?

Dec 1, 2008 at 9:11 AM Post #6 of 7
Yeah, i considered too the Xonar D1, but seems an Ibasso D2 Boa sounds very well too surfing trough head-fi and its a cheaper combo than XonarD1+headphone amp. I'm a gamer but well, doesn't matter to me EAX or something like that, i just care at the moment about music listening quality on the computer.

Well, your curiosity is right, hehe, PCI option is better than USB (less CPU usage and less dust
tongue.gif
) , but i have two graphic cards in SLI, 2 network cards and...i have very few space left in my computer box! I need to buy a cupboard
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alydon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A PCI alternative for you would be that Asus Xonar D1. It's essentially the same card as the DX, but fits in a PCI slot.

The Asus Xonar D2 is PCI as well (and comparable to the D2X), but it's outside of your budget at ~$150.

I guess a lot depends on what you will primarily use it for, and (if you're a gamer) what OS you are using.

I've read good things about the iBasso D2 Boa too, though. Out of curiosity why do you prefer a USB option?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back