soundcard DAC
Jul 12, 2008 at 6:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Devon8822

100+ Head-Fier
I am wondering about DACs in soundcards because I am getting a new computer soon. Are the soundcard DACs as good as a DAC in a dedicated amp? How does SQ compare?

Second thing is... I know that a DAC concerts from digital to analog... but what confuses me is... whenever you play an MP3 is it not required to be turned analog in order to come out of speakers? can you play "digital" music? isn't that just how its stored... digitally... and than when played goes to analog? how does this work? thanks

Jul 12, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #2 of 6
Of course it's required for MP3s to be turned analog so they can be put out of the speakers. That's why it is called Digital - Analog Converter.

MP3s are stored digitally (bits) on your hard drive and the DAC turns it to analog sound signals, which you can play with your speakers then.

Jul 13, 2008 at 11:08 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Devon8822 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am wondering about DACs in soundcards because I am getting a new computer soon. Are the soundcard DACs as good as a DAC in a dedicated amp? How does SQ compare?

There is more than just the chip that makes the conversion that affects the sound quality. If you have a great DAC and the other components are crappy you'll get crappy sound quality, which is the case with most soundcards. The other problem is that soundcards are located in the computer which is THE BEST source of jitter and interference that affect the SQ. Getting an external soundcard is a better solution and getting an external soundcard with its own power supply is an even better solution. And then, getting a dedicated DAC is the best solution because those are made with audiophiles in mind and are using higher grade components. There are notable exceptions in every category, as always...

Jul 17, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Second thing is... I know that a DAC concerts from digital to analog... but what confuses me is... whenever you play an MP3 is it not required to be turned analog in order to come out of speakers? can you play "digital" music? isn't that just how its stored... digitally... and than when played goes to analog? how does this work? thanks

Amps do not contain a DAC, only external DAC units do, unless the unit is a combo DAC/amp. Sound card DACs are usually very cheap parts to save on cost, while external audiophile DAC units use better DACs.

Quote:

Why do people get DACs for mp3 players than if theres already one built in? is it because some DACs sound better than the built in ones?

There are no DACs for any MP3 players available on the market right now with the exception of the Wadia 170iTransport for the iPod. All the other iPod-based products to date have been amps (being fed from line-out adapters).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back