Soundcard and heaphones calibration
Sep 12, 2007 at 12:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

comrade_ix

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I've been reading on these forums for several years and finally I feel ready to advance to being a Poster.
wink.gif

I have just ordered this C-media based USB soundcard ($6 in an online outlet!
icon10.gif
) and will pick up a pair of Sennheiser HD201 later this week, of course inspired by the claimed synergy effect. I don’t expect wonders; only need a decent sound at work. However, it would be nice to tweak these two cheapos to become even better, wouldn’t it? So I gave it some thought, and now I would like your feedback.

These are my thoughts:

1.Since I also own a ESI Juli@, which I’m happy with, I thought I could calibrate the USB soundcard with the Juli@ as a reference. That is, put a cable between the output on the USB-stick and the input on the Juli@ and then run a frequency analysis. The result can then be used with an equalizer to mimic the frequency response of Juli@ on the USB-stick.

2.With the USB-stick calibrated it’s time to address the frequency response of the headphones. I noticed that HeadRoom provides a =657]frequency response graph for the HD201s which could be used to even out the response with an equalizer (similar to step 1).

3.Superimpose the two equalizer settings and then use them in a competent eq in foobar, such as Electri-Q (or even payware).

4.Experience cheap audiophile heaven!
280smile.gif

Is there any catch?
I know heavy equalizing could mess with the phase of the sound, but that doesn’t bother me much.

Any input is appreciated!

Sep 12, 2007 at 3:09 PM Post #2 of 7
Sound isn't defined only by the signature frequency response, there are a 1001 variables which can make your rig sound different then a other one.

If you can EQ a headphone to perfection, all headphones would have a little DSP integraded with the needed EQ-effects to make it perfectly flat. If that would be the case i can EQ my HQ-1700 to HE-90 sound ! !

YEAH!!!

Sep 12, 2007 at 3:40 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Nobax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sound isn't defined only by the signature frequency response

Well, yeah, okay....maybe I used too many superlatives to describe my thoughts.
wink.gif

Off course I realize that equalizing isn't ground breaking, but I gather it should be useful enough to bother with (and it's about the only thing you can do for free, right?)

Sep 12, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #4 of 7
Why not just wait for the stuff, listen to it 'out of the box' and remember it will be "the best possible". (unless you can configure it to be bit-perfect)

EQ'ing is a bad thing (since the music has been EQ'ed more then enough already, thats why modern pop music sounds like Sh!t), and digital EQ'ing is even worse.

Sep 12, 2007 at 8:03 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Nobax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EQ'ing is a bad thing (since the music has been EQ'ed more then enough already, thats why modern pop music sounds like Sh!t), and digital EQ'ing is even worse.

While I do respect your opinion, I couldn't agree with you less. Equalization is neither good nor bad, only the ways you use it. For example: correction of room modes using a well tuned equalizer could really make a big difference in perceived audio quality. Compensating for an inferior headphone design could be equally (no pun intended) efficient!

Furthermore I can see no reason why a well implemented digital equalizer would be bad... but continuing that discussion would bring us off topic. Even more off topic is the note on modern pop music, but it makes me wonder if you perhaps have mixed up compression and equalization? (True though that multiband compression kind of acts like an equalizer...)

Anyone else with thoughts on this matter?

Sep 12, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #6 of 7
Use the DC6 demo from Diamond Cut Audio.. freeware..

http://www.diamondcut.com/Downloads/Downloads.htm

Create a 59 second long segment of white noise..

Play the white noise through your juli@ card and record through the USB card on another instance of DC6.

Run the recorded white noise through the FFT spectrum analyzer in DC6.

Then you can tweak to your heart's delight..

Sep 19, 2007 at 5:28 PM Post #7 of 7
Thanks for your input!

However, I happened to run by a pair of new HD595 for $117 and couldn't resist buying them... Wow, I'm impressed! I feel absolutely no need of EQ listening to the HD595s connected to a ESI Juli@ and a Behringer mixer headphone-output.

Hopefully they will deliver connected to the TBAAM-lookalike too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back