SOUND STUDIES.. it's final ! now help me out, please :-)
Apr 2, 2004 at 9:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

AdamZuf

Headphoneus Supremus
well, no other choice for me, i'm too much of an addict..

i would like to study sound, and i would like to know where there's a good place on the globe to do that.

i'm into studying in depth about everything about sound that relates to the development of a product (speaker or headphones), and everything about sound that relates to studio/live recording, as these are the two goals i would like to achieve, and want to be excellent at.

any recommendations?
any kind of help appriciated.. and sorry for long delays in replies, i don't have a lot of access time to the net lately.

thank you very much!
adam

Apr 2, 2004 at 4:04 PM Post #3 of 11
link, detail, feedback? :)

Apr 2, 2004 at 4:27 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by AdamZuf
link, detail, feedback? :)

http://www.ccms.miami.edu/EAN/

Sorry, the whole miami.edu site seems to be down at the moment so I didn't think to post it. They are definitely one of the best programs around. They merge electrical engin with recording technique, audio specific examples/projects etc. I went to Univ of Michigan which has a top 5-ish EE program and almost transfered to Miami because no one could give the audio angle I wanted. You can only argue about fancy interconnects to an electromagnetics professor so much
smily_headphones1.gif
There is also a really good university somewhere in Europe (Switzerland?) where the entire school is dedicated to acoustics, audio engineering, and recording engineering. Can't seem to find any info on it though.

Apr 2, 2004 at 4:31 PM Post #5 of 11
thank you very much!

please try to find that other school in europe! (i have a british passport, maybe that would help somehow)
do you got any further details about it, so i could try and search for myself?

Apr 7, 2004 at 4:54 AM Post #7 of 11
thank you very much, jefemeister!
i didn't have the chance to check the link, but i'll do that ASAP when i'll have some free of charge net connection..

anyone else has some more valuable information?

Apr 7, 2004 at 5:18 AM Post #8 of 11
howza bout penn state's grad program in acoustics?

we've also got a chapter of AES here that i'm just starting to get involved with. (soundcheck for a wynton marsalis concert was sweet!)

May 11, 2004 at 3:28 AM Post #10 of 11
thanks much for the interest!
Salford in the UK seems nice, but i found the University of Hartford to be interesting; there are no studio studies, just acoustics; and you can choose different fields of acoustics:
Quote:

Those who choose the field of engineering to study acoustics have their own broad areas to choose from.These include: Audio Engineering (high fidelity sound system design), Architectural Acoustics (design of concert halls, recording studios and music rooms), Musical Acoustics (design of musical instruments), Noise Control and Sound Quality (of machinery, jet engines, automobiles, enviromental regulations), and Bio-Engineering (design of hearing aids, replacement parts for the ear, hearing test equipment).

usualy when there are acoustics studies involved, they don't get a lot of emphasis. i prefer learning acoustics in depth then putting it as second priority. i'm waiting for them to send me more info.

May 11, 2004 at 3:39 AM Post #11 of 11
I might recommend looking into Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Maryland -- I applied (and actually was accepted) to their sound design Master of Music program, but I declined because I didn't get any financial aid. Basically, they have programs in acoustics, sound design, and a couple other audio engineering related disciplines that I thought would be very interesting. I settled on U Illinois - Urbana-Champaign because of financial aid mostly.

Also, check this place out: http://eamusic.dartmouth.edu/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back