Sound Science thread for songs you can't get out of your head
Dec 22, 2022 at 9:55 PM Post #16 of 134

Somebody down the street from us has a Christmas display with light-up penguins that sing this song (among others). I'd like to blame my daughter for taking me there on a daily basis.

I was going to ask if @bigshot was guilty for this too but google gives the original in 1959.

-edit for fear of moderation:

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2022 at 10:15 PM Post #17 of 134
tumblr_mrqyjeupx61rr6h5io1_500.gif
Oh, @castleofargh. A mod breaking the rules of his own forum. For shame!
The only requirement for this thread is that you link to a song you can't get out of your head. Except for the other requirement, which is that must you have fun... One song per post, no more, no less.

This is the other "song" that's been running through my head all day:

I think I prefer The Chipmunks.

Dec 23, 2022 at 4:33 PM Post #18 of 134
I was going to ask if @bigshot was guilty for this too but google gives the original in 1959.
I was a newborn when that one was made... The whole concept behind the Chipmunks is creating a sound that kids think is hilarious and drives adults crazy. This one is my contribution to that noble goal. I had the idea of taking the Chipmunks' first hit, Witch Doctor, and doing it in the style of famous musicians from the 50s to the 90s. The big boss didn't think it was possible to do musical impressions as the Chipmunks. When you speed up the voice, all the character gets sucked out of it, so you have to put double the personality in. He had tried it himself in the past and failed.

My partner producer and I were given three days in the studio with an arranger, a singer and an engineer to come up with a proof of concept to show it would work. We ended up recording and mixing the whole track and delivering it finished. It was approved without any notes, which was very rare for Chipmunk music.
There are seven musical impressions here. The last bit is what passes for rap in Chipmunk land. See if you can name all seven.

This song was animated for an NBC special, but I don't think the video version exists any more.

If you want to hear what hazard pay sounds like for a singer, slow down the Springsteen to half speed and hear what the singer had to produce to make it work. He lost his voice for three days. The held yodel in the Elvis section is pretty impressive too. The singer was Sherwood Ball. Fantastic singer.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #22 of 134

Heard it yesterday at the end of a TV series (it was a good fit for a pretty emotional ending), didn't think much of it beyond that. But after half an hour of having "Habibi, light is burning, as I am burning" stuck in my head on a loop I googled it and listened again.
1677676911827.jpeg

Mar 2, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #26 of 134
I'm a Breaking Bad fan, so I thought this song was very appropriate for season 4 ending (2nd song in this clip), when Walt has saved his family but still descending further to being immoral. Really nice selection and editing about showing what Walt is capable of. So then I had to look it up, get the album and keep playing it. A few other good song (Danger Mouse & Daniele Luppi - Black - feat Norah Jones):

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #27 of 134
Warpaint, from 2022 Radiate. Love the music these girls do.

Mar 8, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #30 of 134
I can't sing it but dang it sticks in my head a lot :-

&

That was two songs. The law of the thread is one song per post, no more, no less. Period, p-e-r-i-o-d, period. Don’t break the law. Don’t fight the power.

Possible solution for those in the U.S. who (erroneously) perceive an insidious erosion of their first amendment rights as a result of this rule: Make two posts, with one song each, rather than one post with two songs. :beerchug:

As pointed out so frequently in this sub-forum, 1+1=2. :)

Don’t fight the law, because the law will win.

You can shoot the sheriff, but the deputy will be right around the corner.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back