Sound Science Music Thread: Pass it on!
Nov 4, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #586 of 609
Time to change the channel... some big band sounds now. Amazing to hear drums drive the band like that. Rich was great.

Great stuff. When there is Duddy Rich there is also Max Roach --- here some drum solo stuff:

Mar 22, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #589 of 609
Dec 12, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #591 of 609
For 71db,
Original album release:

And then the “no overdub” version.

Dunno why they thought to overdub a delayed harmony on the album release ?

I did the standing in the rain thing waiting for hours while listening to it on my minidisc \o/. I was extremely sad and to nobody's surprised, I got sick. A day to mark as a milestone(or a kilometerstone), where I crossed half the country for no clear reason, with no plan, no purpose, no change of cloth, but Jewel on my minidisc and extra batteries. I knew what my priorities were at the time :).

Dec 12, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #593 of 609
I did the standing in the rain thing waiting for hours while listening to it on my minidisc \o/. I was extremely sad and to nobody's surprised, I got sick. A day to mark as a milestone(or a kilometerstone), where I crossed half the country for no clear reason, with no plan, no purpose, no change of cloth, but Jewel on my minidisc and extra batteries. I knew what my priorities were at the time :)
Music can become so special depending when and where it’s listened to.

Dec 12, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #594 of 609
Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022 at 12:32 AM Post #595 of 609
Just driving by.

So Spotify told me this was my most listened to track this year (at least on Spotify, I have other music services also). It was recorded by Keith Jarrett and Charlie Haden, originally from the album Jasmine, about four years ago. Apparently I listened to it 11 times this year on Spotify. I would say for my taste the performance is very moving and superbly done but not really musically “great“ in the strict sense of what I consider to be “great“ music. But it’s close! The fact that it affects me a lot emotionally and for my taste the musicianship is outstanding is probably why I listened to it 11 times. : )

I was familiar with the tune from the original as sung by Randy Crawford. The original had nice chords and harmonies and interesting key modulations, a clever and pretty melody, sophisticated recording and instrumentation, great singing—a you broke my heart so please go away song.

Part of it is based loosely on Tchaikovsky’s Waltz of the Flowers from the Nutcracker. You, yes you, can hear it if you listen for it.

I took some time to learn a little more about the song this evening: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Day_I'll_Fly_Away

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022 at 3:10 AM Post #596 of 609
This song has me fascinated this week. The vocal by Darrell Hall (of Hall and Oates) is spectacular... soulful, heartfelt, varied, wide ranging... basically flawless. I always knew about Darrell Hall and John Oates as a pop duo, but hearing these kind of chops is making me look a little closer. Just ordered a best of set to see what else they have besides "no can do" and the other top 40 hits.

He's got a live web show called Live From Darryl's House that is great too. He has guests like Cheap Trick and the O Jays.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2023 at 7:17 AM Post #597 of 609
Another banger from the 70's. Feeling like a detective trying to solve a murder case

Nov 20, 2023 at 7:56 AM Post #599 of 609
The recent years have been a challenge to my mental health for several reasons, but I feel better now. I hate the 2020's. The new decade seems to offer mostly problems and misery for me. At my age (almost 53) nostalgia starts to be very important part of life. Future is not automatically better. Technology doesn't automatically make life better. Some things get better, but many other things get worse and new problems are being generated. Each time period has its good and bad aspects.

I have been exploring the popular music of the 70's (and late 60's). I am enjoying sunshine and baroque pop. That kind of music gives me what the 2020's is missing. I discovered Mama Cass Elliot when I accidentally heard 15 seconds of her song "Make Your Own Kind of Music." The message of that song really resonates with me and I adore that kind of music. Her song "The Night Before" led me to discover Maureen McGovern's Oscar winning "The Morning After" from the movie Poseidon Adventure (which I haven't seen). Unfortunately Maureen's 70's albums have never been released on CD and aren't even on streaming services apart from some collection albums. In general, collecting the 70's artists on CD can be challenging. These albums often got limited releases on CD if at all. Those limited release CDs sell for ridiculous prices on ebay.

In my youth I did like the songs of The Carpenters a little, but it felt tame. Now I actually explored their albums on Spotify and I was blown away by how good their music is beside the big hits everyone knows.

You may ask how it is possible a 52 years old dude knows so little about the music of the 70's, but I am not American. In the 70's music "traveled" much less it does today thanks to globalization and the internet. Many popular US artists were much less popular outside the US. My parents didn't listen to The Carpenters or The Mamas and The Papas. My father is into jazz (and classical music thanks to my influence, but sadly he is losing his hearing and doesn't enjoy music anymore) and my late mother didn't listen to any music. Half of the popular music I heard passively on radio/tv/etc. was Finnish music. I got interested of music very late while in high-school and in the late 80's the 70's music was largely "forgotten" and they played A-ha, Cindy Lauper, Depeche Mode and Madonna on radio instead. I have a lot to "catch up" with the 70's music. Some 10-15 years ago I already did Tangerine Dream, King Crimson, Carly Simon, Rose Royce, Herbie Hancock, but now I need sunshine in my life because the times are so dark.

Nov 20, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #600 of 609
Sadly most of the 70’s stuff when rereleased is “remastered” in the worst possible way, compressed and limited to bring it up to the current “standard” of loud so it sounds good on car radios, portables and played in other noisy situations where compressed and loud makes the quieter passages easier to hear, and as you said comparing two different songs the louder of the two is perceived as somehow better… so “make it louder”
The album I mentioned previously is already on the Dr database and the CD version averages Dr 4 .. the Vinhl LP Dr 9 and the Atoms version Dr11 ..I was lucky, in the early 80’s I was in a position to buy more music than in the 70’s and lots of the 60’s and 70’s were rereleased on the new CD format but I guess the less “popular” ones never progressed past that initial CD release and being early recordings they usually came with the AAD tag on them, Analogue recorded and mixed then digitally mastered to disc so very similar to their original sound with no added compression …the actual audio quality of modern recordings, all digital with modern microphones and studio gear is of course far superior, the music quality, or maybe the listening enjoyment however is debatable …

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back