Sound Science Corner Pub
May 3, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #226 of 585
I'm not up for standing up and dancing around blindly in my living room. 3DoF will probably be better for me because I can sit in a swivel chair and not have to worry about knocking over lamps or yanking the cables out of the computer. It arrives tomorrow. I've never done VR before, so it will be interesting. Perhaps not knowing what 6DoF brings to the table will make me less disappointed with 3DoF.

I can't believe you won't be walking around your neighborhood with the VR headset on.....

Looking forward to your thoughts once you've had a chance to play around with it for a bit.

May 3, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #227 of 585
Be curious what you think. The price point is great, but wonder about the onboard processing power and how well AR will work with 3DoF instead of 6DoF.

Not being tethered to anything is a huge plus compared to the PC powered AR sets, so hoping the trade offs are “worth it”.

They didn't let you move up/down/left/right before?

May 3, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #229 of 585
May 4, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #230 of 585
I watched a couple of episodes of a show called World's Greatest Hoaxes on Netflix last night. It's jam packed with great examples of various kinds of bias interfering with the truth. I want to watch it again and jot a few down, but a couple stuck out.

In the fake Hitler Diaries show, the person brokering the deal was obsessed with Hitler memorabilia to the point where he had to buy all of it- both real and fake. When the Hitler diaries surfaced, he happened to need money to buy Goering's yacht and restore it. He convinced himself they were real because he needed them to be real.

When suspicions arose that the diaries were fake, Rupert Murdoch had spent half a million dollars to get the publishing rights. His editors went to him to tell him their suspicions and through the whole meeting, Murdoch looked bored. He didn't care if they were fake or real. If they were fake, he'd just do a follow up story exposing the fake that would attract as many readers as the original story. Which is exactly what happened.

The man who faked the diaries and the guy who brokered them and convinced himself they were real both got the same sentence... 4 years. Millions of dollars were missing and probably stashed away in Swiss bank accounts, but they only got 4 years. This was because the judge considered that the publishers were complicit in not properly authenticating the diaries before they bought them. Essentially, it was the biggest fraud in modern history and everyone just walked away from it with no real punishment.

By keeping the diaries a secret, until they could publish them, they were preventing experts who could have tipped them off from warning them before they bought them. After the scandal, the only person who really took a career hit was the one historian who was on the newspaper's board of directors that they asked to look at the diaries to authenticate them. He didn't even really speak German and he did no scientific tests on the paper, binding or glue. If he had, he would have found out that all of it was from the 1970s.

On the cover of the diaries, there were gold embossed initials. The forger wasn't familiar with Germanic type faces, so he used an F for A. Everyone who looked at the diaries saw that the initials were FH, not AH but no one mentioned it because they couldn't even recognize contradictory evidence when it was right in front of their faces.

In the Loch Ness Monster show, one of the commenters says that no one comes to Loch Ness without expectations. Everyone who looks out on the lake is immediately imagining themselves seeing and photographing the monster. This prompts them to read a swell in the water or a floating log incorrectly.

Also in the Loch Ness show, they say that most Nessie sightings are near the castle on the edge of the lake... not because that is where the monster is, but because that is a major tourist attraction. Everyone visiting the lake stops there.

They pointed out that the loch itself was carved out by a glacier 6 million years ago, but plesiosaurs (the kind of dinosaur Nessie supposedly is) went extinct 66 million years ago. How did a dinosaur end up in a lake that was formed 60 million years after it went extinct? People are more than willing to ignore obvious scientific facts to believe the monster is real.

They estimated that the community of Loch Ness gets about 60 million pounds of revenue from tourists because of the myth of the monster. Because of this, they're in no hurry to prove it doesn't exist.

Lots of interesting things, and I can see how a lot of it applies to audiophoolery.

Last edited:
May 4, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #231 of 585
I watched a couple of episodes of a show called World's Greatest Hoaxes on Netflix last night. It's jam packed with great examples of various kinds of bias interfering with the truth. I want to watch it again and jot a few down, but a couple stuck out.

In the fake Hitler Diaries show, the person brokering the deal was obsessed with Hitler memorabilia to the point where he had to buy all of it- both real and fake. When the Hitler diaries surfaced, he happened to need money to buy Goering's yacht and restore it. He convinced himself they were real because he needed them to be real.

When suspicions arose that the diaries were fake, Rupert Murdoch had spent half a million dollars to get the publishing rights. His editors went to him to tell him their suspicions and through the whole meeting, Murdoch looked bored. He didn't care if they were fake or real. If they were fake, he'd just do a follow up story exposing the fake that would attract as many readers as the original story. Which is exactly what happened.

The man who faked the diaries and the guy who brokered them and convinced himself they were real both got the same sentence... 4 years. Millions of dollars were missing and probably stashed away in Swiss bank accounts, but they only got 4 years. This was because the judge considered that the publishers were complicit in not properly authenticating the diaries before they bought them. Essentially, it was the biggest fraud in modern history and everyone just walked away from it with no real punishment.

By keeping the diaries a secret, until they could publish them, they were preventing experts who could have tipped them off from warning them before they bought them. After the scandal, the only person who really took a career hit was the one historian who was on the newspaper's board of directors that they asked to look at the diaries to authenticate them. He didn't even really speak German and he did no scientific tests on the paper, binding or glue. If he had, he would have found out that all of it was from the 1970s.

On the cover of the diaries, there were gold embossed initials. The forger wasn't familiar with Germanic type faces, so he used an F for A. Everyone who looked at the diaries saw that the initials were FH, not AH but no one mentioned it because they couldn't even recognize contradictory evidence when it was right in front of their faces.

In the Loch Ness Monster show, one of the commenters says that no one comes to Loch Ness without expectations. Everyone who looks out on the lake is immediately imagining themselves seeing and photographing the monster. This prompts them to read a swell in the water or a floating log incorrectly.

Also in the Loch Ness show, they say that most Nessie sightings are near the castle on the edge of the lake... not because that is where the monster is, but because that is a major tourist attraction. Everyone visiting the lake stops there.

They pointed out that the loch itself was carved out by a glacier 6 million years ago, but plesiosaurs (the kind of dinosaur Nessie supposedly is) went extinct 66 million years ago. How did a dinosaur end up in a lake that was formed 60 million years after it went extinct? People are more than willing to ignore obvious scientific facts to believe the monster is real.

They estimated that the community of Loch Ness gets about 60 million pounds of revenue from tourists because of the myth of the monster. Because of this, they're in no hurry to prove it doesn't exist.

Lots of interesting things, and I can see how a lot of it applies to audiophoolery.

T

May 4, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #233 of 585
Essentially, it was the biggest fraud in modern history and everyone just walked away from it with no real punishment.
"pump those numbers up, those are rookie numbers in this racket."
-The Wolf Of Wall Street.

May 22, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #234 of 585
It's been kinda quiet round these parts. I'm assuming everybody's enjoying the gradually warming weather, unless it's awful where you are (or reversed if you're in the Southern Hemisphere).

May 22, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #235 of 585
All the oxygen is getting used up in the Testing Myths thread! No air left for chatting here!

May 24, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #236 of 585

Well now that you have ruined Nessie for me i will have to move on to Bigfoot.... and $1000 a foot cables :)

May 25, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #237 of 585
I needed to bail on the testing myths thread, it's turned into a "no YOU are the Amateur, here, SIR" thread.

Anyway, a little while back I read a glowing review of a Dolby Atmos Mastered REM album on Ars Technica. They claimed the spatialization DSP really worked well. As someone for whom simulated HRTFs don't usually work for the "rear channel" effects, I am curious about this. Anyone tried the DSP-only Atmos stuff (i.e. on headphones?)

May 25, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #238 of 585
I don't have that particular atmos recording, but I do have the one by Kraftwerk, and even though I don't have an atmos setup, I can attest that the control over the placement of the sound is very sophisticated. There are sounds that cross from front to back diagonally with perfect placement, and sound that appears to come from the center of the room where there isn't even a speaker.

Most 5.1 mixes think of the sound as the four walls around you. They don't try to place sound within the space. There are a few exceptions, but this Kraftwerk album does it on every song.

Last edited:
May 26, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #239 of 585
I don't have that particular atmos recording, but I do have the one by Kraftwerk, and even though I don't have an atmos setup, I can attest that the control over the placement of the sound is very sophisticated. There are sounds that cross from front to back diagonally with perfect placement, and sound that appears to come from the center of the room where there isn't even a speaker.

Most 5.1 mixes think of the sound as the four walls around you. They don't try to place sound within the space. There are a few exceptions, but this Kraftwerk album does it on every song.
Kraftwerk may not have gotten the respect they deserve for their technical expertise.....ahead of their time maybe?...they would have done better in the eighties when keyboard music was all the rage...autobahn is still a great listen.

Last edited:
May 27, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #240 of 585

Users who are viewing this thread

Back