Sound Science Corner Pub
Feb 19, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #121 of 812
Sort of, but not really. The Dolby Pro Logic and DTS Neo:6 have certain aspects that can make stereo music sound better on 5.1 systems, but that isn't their primary purpose. They are primarily intended to decode matrixed surround that is encoded into a stereo track. When you play a Pro Logic encoded TV show through a Pro Logic decoder, it gives you a separate center channel and a rear surround ambience channel. If the track isn't encoded for Pro Logic, it just kind of splits things up randomly. My Yamaha DSP is specifically designed to split regular stereo music to a room filling sound. It's always hard to know what a DSP is actually doing, because it is rarely documented in the manual, but from what I've been able to figure out, the Yamaha DSP takes all of the signal that is common between the left and right and channels it to the center channel. Then it takes out of phase material and channels that to the rears, along with some of the hard left and hard right panned content to give the left and right rear some separation. It's also doing something in the time domain that I can't quite figure out, but it makes the soundstage larger and fills the room immersively- it feels like a larger space. I think most AVRs come with an equivalent, but Yamaha is probably the best at designing DSPs. Some of them are adjustable too. The Stereo to 7.1 DSP has level adjustment of fronts to rears. Other ones have various types of depth adjustments. My AVR has a ton of DSPs... many of them totally baffle me!

Now that you mention it, I think it could be argued that Roy Orbison did most of the things the Beatles did before the Beatles too.
Brian Wilsons Beachboys have to be in the mix there somewhere...even The Beatles have praised the songwriting and vocal harmonies.

Feb 19, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #122 of 812
There are lots of great artists. I was just listing the ones that changed the entire sound of popular music. The Beach Boys are great and influential, but you didn't see people doing surf harmonies to follow their lead like you saw four guys with guitars and drums after the Beatles.

Feb 20, 2018 at 5:54 AM Post #123 of 812
There are lots of great artists. I was just listing the ones that changed the entire sound of popular music. The Beach Boys are great and influential, but you didn't see people doing surf harmonies to follow their lead like you saw four guys with guitars and drums after the Beatles.
Yep...The Beatles where a tough act to follow.

Feb 24, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #124 of 812
I've noticed a lot of new poster names, and a few old ones coming back lately. The group has been a lot more pleasant for the past couple of weeks. I'm really happy to see that. I enjoy this place.

Feb 24, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #125 of 812
I've noticed a lot of new poster names, and a few old ones coming back lately. The group has been a lot more pleasant for the past couple of weeks. I'm really happy to see that. I enjoy this place.
I don't trust subjective impressions. :deadhorse:

Feb 26, 2018 at 6:24 AM Post #127 of 812
Feb 26, 2018 at 7:23 AM Post #129 of 812
I was wondering where everybody went. I kind of figured after a while that there must be a new thread, and here it is. I've enjoyed the discussion so far. Being relatively young compared to many participants, I appreciate the perspective of people who lived through a lot of what I can only learn about through retrospective accounts.

Mar 3, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #130 of 812
Could find the thread on provenance of hi res stuff, but I found this example entertaining:
So there was a sale on a classical site recently and I glutted myself. Soon after, one of the same albums went on hourly sale on another site, the only thing was they had a hir-res version available. I found this odd, as the first site was the actual publisher and had hi-res versions available, just not for this particular album. So I paid to do a little reconnaissance, and found something curious:
spec1.png
spec2.png

First spec is just upsampled to 88.2 in SoX, other one is the 88.2 download (this is the last 10 secs of the audio). What they heck did they do? The noise 'hole' from 21–29kHz is pretty odd, but perhaps it's some DSD conversion artifact? I would write and ask about this but it's not like the people answering the support@ email will know What to do with a spectrogram…

Mar 3, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #131 of 812
noise shaping applied after upsampling?

Mar 3, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #133 of 812
That's a trick question!

Mar 5, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #134 of 812
Thanks for the recommendation of the mono price noise cancelling headphones on sale pinnahertz! I got them today and they are darn good. My office got moved to share space with a printer. Now it's quiet as a lamb.

Mar 7, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #135 of 812
There are a lot of old timers I'd love to see come back.... Steve Eddy, xnor, nick_charles, Ethan Winer, lots of others...

♩ Thoose were the daays ♪. I also miss UncleErik and even grumpy BlackbeardBen. And of course he-who-must-not-be-named. I remember people turning in blind test result and running stats on the data. Emperors were shown to have no clothes, measurements ruled, innovative, superior amp designs given out for free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back