Sound Science Corner Pub
Jun 25, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #256 of 585
You know how you can take a bone and throw it into any corner of the yard and the dog brings it back the same way every time? Some folks are like that with pet subjects/fixations. You can say "Isn't it a nice day today" and that is enough of a prompt for them to launch into their well worn routine about the only subject they ever discuss. Those neural pathways are well worn through repetition.

Sometimes I'm tempted to ask questions that shouldn't possibly lead into the typical conversation loops like "How many different kinds of animals hibernate?" or "What's your favorite kind of cheese?" or "How about those Dodgers?" But I know that it would only be one or two jumps and we'd be back to the well worn "standards" again.
Stilton now that have asked....oh and analogue is blah blah....

Jun 29, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #257 of 585
You know how you can take a bone and throw it into any corner of the yard and the dog brings it back the same way every time? Some folks are like that with pet subjects/fixations. You can say "Isn't it a nice day today" and that is enough of a prompt for them to launch into their well worn routine about the only subject they ever discuss. Those neural pathways are well worn through repetition.

Sometimes I'm tempted to ask questions that shouldn't possibly lead into the typical conversation loops like "How many different kinds of animals hibernate?" or "What's your favorite kind of cheese?" or "How about those Dodgers?" But I know that it would only be one or two jumps and we'd be back to the well worn "standards" again.

I hate the Dodgers almost as much as the Yankees.

Jun 29, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #258 of 585
The Cubs remind me of an old stylus I had that had magical powers...

Jun 30, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #259 of 585
The new CCRL 40/40 chess engine rankings are out for June 30th!! This is for me a momentous day of each and every week:

http://www.computerchess.org.uk/ccrl/4040/

Unfortunately, there is no excitement. There is no substantive change among the top contenders from last week, which you can read about in my quote of myself below.

If there is no change next week I will not post about this again until some kind of interesting change takes place.

Being unfamiliar with the concept, I did some reading up on Flanderization:

But the main reason I am writing is to let the community know that Stockfish 9 maintains a small but healthy lead, with Komodo 11.3.1 maintaining a narrow razor's edge two-point lead over Houdnini 6, and. . .wait. . . Fire 7.1 making a major move up the charts!!!

http://www.computerchess.org.uk/ccrl/4040/

I look forward to these charts every Saturday.

Jul 12, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #260 of 585
It's kind of interesting that even though this is a science based forum, some people tend to speak in very disorganized ways. They make statements without defining their terms, they allow their conversations to wander randomly, they pull apart quotes to the point where the context is lost, they blather on about irrelevant tangents that only interests then, and they speak entirely for their own benefit without regard to the points made by the person they're speaking to. It's a very subjective and disorganized way to communicate.

When I was in school I was taught how to construct a proper paragraph to be able to communicate clearly. The first sentence states the basic idea you're trying to get across. The sentences that follow add detail or supporting arguments to back up the concept. Then you finish off with a summation paragraph that restates the concept and puts it into context. If more people here followed this simple formula, we would have much more effective discussions in Sound Science.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #261 of 585
The first sentence states the basic idea you're trying to get across. The sentences that follow add detail or supporting arguments to back up the concept. Then you finish off with a summation paragraph that restates the concept and puts it into context. If more people here followed this simple formula, we would have much more effective discussions in Sound Science.

Or as I was told, "Tell 'em what you're going to tell 'em. Tell 'em. Then tell 'em what you told 'em." :)

Jul 18, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #262 of 585
During the sale at Amazon I picked up a couple of Fire tablets. I already have a Harmony Hub and Echos, so I had everything I needed to trick out a tablet based smart remote with voice command. It's taken me a while to program everything, but I can now say "Alexa it's movie time" and the lights go off and the screen drops and the blu-ray starts playing. When I say "Alexa pee break" the movie pauses and the light in the bathroom and dark lights go on. The remote on the fire tablet lets me control all of the lights all over the house and allows me to pause and reverse the movie, change DSPs, open menus, etc. I can control the thermostat and answer the video doorbell too. I even loaded an IMDB and Wikipedia based app to look up movies, actors and directors. The best part is that the tablets are bright red, making them hard to lose. I'm really happy I put this together.

Jul 19, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #263 of 585
During the sale at Amazon I picked up a couple of Fire tablets. I already have a Harmony Hub and Echos, so I had everything I needed to trick out a tablet based smart remote with voice command. It's taken me a while to program everything, but I can now say "Alexa it's movie time" and the lights go off and the screen drops and the blu-ray starts playing. When I say "Alexa pee break" the movie pauses and the light in the bathroom and dark lights go on. The remote on the fire tablet lets me control all of the lights all over the house and allows me to pause and reverse the movie, change DSPs, open menus, etc. I can control the thermostat and answer the video doorbell too. I even loaded an IMDB and Wikipedia based app to look up movies, actors and directors. The best part is that the tablets are bright red, making them hard to lose. I'm really happy I put this together.
Pretty amazing stuff.....but after seeing The Matrix I'm a bit leary:wink:.....Alexa why won't the door open!!!

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2018 at 12:17 AM Post #264 of 585
I decided I wanted a different default voice so I changed it to UK English instead of US English. It sounds really fancy now, but it only understands my commands if I do a Stan Laurel impression!

Jul 21, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #265 of 585
It looks like we have another dynamic duo. Except Robin has already bailed. I think these guys just decide, "Hey lets go rattle the bars on the cage". They don't realize that they're the monkeys inside the cage, not us.

Jul 21, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #266 of 585
It looks like we have another dynamic duo. Except Robin has already bailed. I think these guys just decide, "Hey lets go rattle the bars on the cage". They don't realize that they're the monkeys inside the cage, not us.
As a relative newcomer, i have to admit after being here a few months now that this is a definate phenomenon.The duo thing in particular is both weird and entertaining though.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #267 of 585
I can remember thinking the pocket calculator was the most amazing invention in my lifetime up to that point.We have come a long way since then lol......hard to imagine where this hi tech juggernaut is going next.

Jul 21, 2018 at 8:47 PM Post #268 of 585
I heard on the news this week that the Apollo moon landing was controlled by a computer with 1/10th the capability of a cell phone.

Jul 21, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #270 of 585
He was probably referring to a flip phone. My brother worked at UCLA on Arpanet back in the early 70s and they had the same computer that NASA had. I visited it many times and played games on it. I don't remember exactly but I think it had a 5 megahertz processor and 15 megabytes of RAM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back