1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Sound Science Approach to Modding Headphones

Discussion in 'Sound Science' started by sanjiwatsuki, Dec 13, 2013.
First

Back
1 2 3 4
  1. SilverEars
    @yuriv @csglinux

I'll try varying the insertion depth, but it seems like there is quite a bit of amplitude despressions around 6-9k compared to other rigs (as can be seen from my MH755 measurement).

Another issue is with tip fit on the coupler. I use smallest MH755 tips because they fit the best, but still slides over time. I don't know how to keep it stable besides having something holding it in place. Varying the depth and keeping it stable for precision will be a challenge.

2. csglinux
    Hi @yuriv - I actually have that plinth coupler - from the exact same seller, Liliang Hong :) (Awesome individual, BTW - I highly recommend that seller.) My plinth coupler measures like your red line, not the green. Would be very interested in tracking down the origin of your coupler that produced the green curve, if you can...? @hakuzen - what does your plinth coupler response look like around 1 kHz?

Very true.

Unfortunately, @SilverEars has already posted those tour units back to me, so the pressure I guess is now on me to do a zillion measurements in 1 picometer increments :wink: I'll shift discussions on that topic back to the other thread...

Astute observation! I'll revisit these at some point, but I think I know what's happening. The triple flange tips are so long that I believe in some of my measurements they press up against the grill in front of the coupler mic. I should have checked that more carefully. From memory, however, I'm fairly sure that the SPL (@~10 kHz) isn't any less with the Tx100 foam tips. I usually prep the tips by squashing them flat before rolling - as a result the Tx100 have a larger effective bore diameter than the triple flange. No matter how wide the bore opening, the upper frequencies always seem to roll-off more with foam though.

The slight roll-off in the bass you see with @SilverEars' measurements are his mic, not his coupler. He does have a mic compensation file, but has so far demonstrated superhuman powers of restraint in not using it :wink:

I've made many measurements with that coupler and never seen that issue. I think you just need to get a bit of confidence in measuring a few more IEMs with it. I suspect you're looking at unit variations in the headphones themselves, or different eartips, or different insertion depths, or (most likely) all of the above. The only thing I notice in your measurements (besides that mild discrepancy @ ~ 1kHz) is that you aren't using your mic compensation file.

I've found mounting putty to be essential. I use it for every measurement, because if I don't, I usually see glitches or ripples in the FR as a result of vibration/movement of the IEM in the coupler during the measurement. I'd recommended mounting putty (blu tack to English people) to @SilverEars, and that's always worked great for me, but @SilverEars seems to have bought something (on my recommendation - sorry buddy!) that was all sticky and had the consistency of bubble gum. Mounting putty shouldn't be like that unless you're measuring in an oven. What do others use to hold IEMs in place while measuring?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    hakuzen likes this.
  3. hakuzen
    i haven't noticed any strange dip or peak at 1kHz. we'll know it when measuring the tour iems.

First

Back
1 2 3 4