Sound quality of Sennheiser PX200's
May 20, 2004 at 10:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

apnk

Headphoneus Supremus
I am currently looking for some closed cans to use like at a libary. Right now I am looking at the PX200's, they seem nice, but how good is the sound? I am a heavy metal person and I also listen to latin music so bass is a must.

Or, are there any other recomendations? budget less than $50, maybe more but they have to be worth it.

May 20, 2004 at 10:45 PM Post #3 of 9
PX200 is a bit finnicky. Some people get a good seal, others don't...and for those that don't, the bass is not impressive at all. And even if you do get a good seal, these cans are by no means bassy - it's all about the midrange.

May 20, 2004 at 10:57 PM Post #4 of 9
Count me in as one who believes these things deliver serious amounts of bass. The overall sound is claustrophobic and wooly, but in using them for a long time in conjunction with the PX100 I've come to the conclusion that their practical benefits outweigh the problems with the sound. They don't provide true isolation, but they do take the edge off outside distractions which is more than can be said for the better-sounding PX100.

When I first got these soon after release I found they didn't fit me properly which gave me all sorts of problems., Eventually though I realised that the first ones I had had a very stiff last detent on both sides (I have to stretch out the phones fully to get them to fit).

I use them quite often with the iPod as throwaround commuting phones, and despite all the nits I could pick with them I have to conclude that they are perfectly OK. Not impressive by any stretch of the imagination, but not fatiguing either... and there's enough of the general sonic attributes we look for to keep you entertained.

May 21, 2004 at 3:50 PM Post #5 of 9
I have to say that for the cheap price, these headphones are great. I bought mine new for $35 + shipping and they are exactly what I was looking for: people setting next to you can't hear your music; it let's in just enough outside sound to allow you to hear the phone or the doorbell or someone yelling at you; small, sexy, foldable; no amp needed; comfortable; great sound compared to almost anything in its price range. People say the PX100 sounds better, but they are open headphones- if you don't mind that then listen to those.

I do think, like others have said, that you should really turn up the volume loud when you break these in. After five days of burn-in, the bass is suprisingly good if you place them correctly on your ears (get a good seal).

If you are a starving student like me, there is absolutely no reason to dislike these headphones unless you have huge ears and can't get a seal. Any negative comments on the sound will be specific criticisms that should only be directed to audiophile headphones. These are not audiophile, they cost thirty-five dollars.

May 21, 2004 at 4:24 PM Post #6 of 9
I have the px200 and like its sound. However, the small earcups are bit uncomfortable after a while. Does anyone have any suggestions for a pair of cheap closed cans with similar sound quality, but with larger earcups?

May 21, 2004 at 4:39 PM Post #7 of 9
Try ATH-FC7.

I did a review on it. They sound ok out of the box, but adding a layer of drawer liner to the pad made it shine. Do a search for ATH-FC7.
ATH-FC7 = $45 at audiocubes.

May 21, 2004 at 5:11 PM Post #8 of 9
They're well suited for heavy metal (after 50 hours burn-in) ... except maybe for fast death metal. The drivers are a bit too slow for that and tend to make everything sound mushy and compressed.
I heard from someone that the Koss R-80 are pretty good closed phones. They're available for 50$ at koss.com ... other than that, no idea what else you could get
wink.gif

-Taurui

Users who are viewing this thread

Back