Sound quality of legendary PCDP vs low-end CDPs
Aug 6, 2002 at 6:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

katsudon1

100+ Head-Fier
Um¡K after reading so many threads about the legendary PCDPs such as Z555, 777, 900. I wonder how they compare against moderm day standalone CDPs? Will they sound better than low-end gears (less than USD200). Any thoughts?

Aug 6, 2002 at 6:47 AM Post #2 of 13
Well some nut at Stereophile said that the Optimus 3400 could beat players up to $1k...
rolleyes.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Aug 6, 2002 at 6:47 AM Post #3 of 13
I have the 555 and 777 and both sound _FAR_ better than anything you can buy in the store today (I'm talking headphone output). The difference is utterly discusting in most cases (I've tried virtually every PCDP at Fry's Electronics - Talk about abusing their return policy!). Now, for the line out, thats a different story....and I haven't dont enough testing to comment there.
EDIT: I'm dumb, and I can't read. I'm talking portable units here. Haven't auditioned any low end CD players, so I can't help you much. Oops.

Aug 6, 2002 at 2:41 PM Post #4 of 13
Basically, my experience is that even cheap CDP (not portable) sound better than any portable.
I have one such cheapie Technics SL-PG490, which i can strongly recommend. Paid about 100 USD for it about 2 years back.
Even though it doesn't sound as good as my other CDP (Marantz CD6000OSE) it is more than OK for every mid-fi system. It sounds better than both old and new new PCDP I have through the line out and way better through its own headout.
If you don't use CDs on the go, this is the way IMO. It also comes with an amazing list of features for the price, including peak search (good for recording), remote, digital out etc.

Aug 6, 2002 at 4:19 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by katsudon1
Um¡K after reading so many threads about the legendary PCDPs such as Z555, 777, 900. I wonder how they compare against moderm day standalone CDPs? Will they sound better than low-end gears (less than USD200). Any thoughts?

Any good component CD player will sound better than even the best portable. I say this as someone who's owned two of the famous Optimus 3400
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Bloggs
Well some nut at Stereophile said that the Optimus 3400 could beat players up to $1k...
rolleyes.gif

He said that with respect to the digital-out jack on the 3400. Lots of people felt that the digital-out jack on the 3400, when driven from a battery pack, provided a better digital signal than many component CD players at the time (1994). And I have to agree that the 3400 was pretty incredible as far as portables go--I have yet to hear one that sounded better. That said, a good modern $250-$300 CD player will sound much better.

Aug 6, 2002 at 4:46 PM Post #6 of 13
Other Stereophile writers disagreed with the $1k comparison, finding only that the Optimus 3400 is a very good portable.

I replaced an 80s mid-level CDP with the Optimus 3400 initially just using its line out. The Optimus was clearly better. Later I added a DITB and good another big improvement.

Now I have a SONY ES CDP, about 5 yrs old, and its clearly better than the Optimus + DITB combo, also better than my D-303 line out, plus it has remote and advanced features.
So I'd have to say that only the junkiest CDPs are not better than the best of the portables.

Aug 6, 2002 at 5:00 PM Post #7 of 13
Thanks you all for the inputs. Seems like everyone sort of agree that PCDP regardless of the cost is no fight with a delicated standalone CDP (even the low-end ones). Well I was just kind of curious after reading so many opinions on good PCDPs.

Aug 6, 2002 at 7:33 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by ronzoni
My 3400 has a Radio Shack version of a coax out. It is via a mini jack not an RCA jack and definately not optical.

ronzoni, you're 100% right. I'm so used to working with my MiniDisc recorders that I wrote "optical" instead of "digital"
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks for catching that.

Aug 7, 2002 at 9:01 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF

ronzoni, you're 100% right. I'm so used to working with my MiniDisc recorders that I wrote "optical" instead of "digital"
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks for catching that.

Or, rather, you should have written electrical (or coaxial) instead of optical. Both are digital outs.

Aug 7, 2002 at 4:38 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by blr

Or, rather, you should have written electrical (or coaxial) instead of optical. Both are digital outs.

Well, yeah
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back