Sound Pressure Level?
Apr 30, 2011 at 10:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

crinacle

Member of the Trade: In-Ear Fidelity
Okay, I've searched the forums, but nothing on this subject came up. Wikipedia gave me a very complicated, so I decided to ask you guys.

What is sound pressure level? Is it better to have a lower SPL or a higher SPL?

Apr 30, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #2 of 7
SPL, condensed, is basically the maximum decibel level of a speaker or driver.  A higher SPL will typically equal a higher maximum decibel level; most headphones have sufficient sufficient SPL to make you go deaf quite directly, even below full volume.

May 1, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #4 of 7
In context, yes; but generally it's a non-issue with headphones.  I believe it's measured using a set wattage at a distance of 1 meter, so when you convert, say, 120dB SPL into headphone terms...enough to liquefy your eardrums.

May 1, 2011 at 4:20 AM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
A somewhat related topic: is it better to get the 101db SPL HFI580s or the 104db SPL DJ1s?

You will never reach these SPL..

Actually it is a standard (at least in Germany) what headphones should do.. and it is x-times higher of that what your ears can tolerate...There is nothing with loudness

May 1, 2011 at 4:20 AM Post #7 of 7
Doesn't really matter, as you'll go deaf listening to both at max volume. Get the one that sounds better and suits your needs better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back