Sound pressure and ear drums
Aug 11, 2017 at 3:45 AM Post #16 of 19
Is there ways to find out what the loudness level coming out of your gear at different volumes? I uses in ear monitors specifically, and how do it get an idea to keep in check?

With no gear? Sort of. Only insert in one iem. Level match it agains a real sound sorce where you know "sort of" how loud it is. There are also those free "dB meter" app - they do get very close - certainly enough to find your safe volume.

Aug 11, 2017 at 4:38 AM Post #17 of 19
the cellphone apps are ok-ish for free air(depends on the cellphone and app). sometimes if stuck close enough to the driver it also works for an estimate of headphones. but to check the actual sound pressure of an IEM when it's properly sealed? my own experience wasn't great compared to electrical measurements done with a reliable reference. that's why I didn't suggest it.

Aug 12, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #18 of 19
the cellphone apps are ok-ish for free air(depends on the cellphone and app). sometimes if stuck close enough to the driver it also works for an estimate of headphones. but to check the actual sound pressure of an IEM when it's properly sealed? my own experience wasn't great compared to electrical measurements done with a reliable reference. that's why I didn't suggest it.

Agreed. Thats why "one ear level matching" is the only way it will work without the right gear.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #19 of 19
If I listen to a couple of albums, using my LCD2 or TH900 I end up getting a pain in my left ear but if I listen to a whole album using my T1, I get no pain at all......................the volume is the same, so I guess for me, it is the seal of leather pads vs the lighter seal of the T1 velour pads against my ear, that is the issue, for me at least................though the seal on the TH900 isn't that tight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back