Sound issue with Ipod
Jul 15, 2003 at 12:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Stargazer

New Head-Fier
Hi there.

I'm having a few sound issues with certain songs on my Ipod (loud background noises similar to a cassette getting jammed into a stereo car), and i was wondering if it was a known issue or something.

It's alway the same songs, it's always the same noise.

I assumed there was something wrong with the MP3, but re-ripping doesn't seem to help. On top of that, they work fine with Winamp.

I generally rip with EAC with lame at the highest quality setting (as far as i can tell), and i never encountered any problem so far, what gives ?!?

Jul 21, 2003 at 12:26 PM Post #2 of 9
Is anybody in this god forsaken universe having a similar issue or i just happen to have the one and only discriminating pod ?!?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 21, 2003 at 12:50 PM Post #3 of 9
Well if it is always the same songs, always the same noise, and it is present even when you re-rip the songs, then I would have to assume that the noise is on the original recording. You also might be ripping from a damaged disc. I highly doubt this has to do with the Ipod itself.

Jul 21, 2003 at 1:23 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Hiker
I highly doubt this has to do with the Ipod itself.

Except that the MP3 works fine on everything else BUT the Ipod.

Maybe the problem it's with the hard drive, or with the importing program (i'm using Ephpod).

The Ipod crashed a few weeks ago, perhaps there are errors on the drive, even though i have no idea how to diagnose and fix them...

Jul 21, 2003 at 1:47 PM Post #5 of 9
What else are you using to playback the mp3s on other than the Ipod? Also, are you using the same headphones/speakers when comparing the mp3s on the Ipod and on your other source? Do you hear any of the noise on the source cd?

I really think that since the problem continues to repeat itself with the same songs, and only those songs, that the problem does not lie within the Ipod. Also I don't believe it is your ripping method. EAC and LAME work as a great combo together. The good error correction on EAC kinda makes me think that the cd is not damaged and if it was, it would be corrected to a reasonable extent. What do these noises sound like? Are they quiet? Loud? White noise or what?

Jul 21, 2003 at 2:10 PM Post #6 of 9
I have had sound quality problems with my iPod too. It is sort of a warbling sound on pianos. It only happens on certain songs, no matter how many times it is ripped and only on the iPod. Maybe it has something to do with the DAC or the digital filtering in the iPod codec? I have an audio clip of the distortion linked on another post somewhere on the board. If you want, I can try to link to it later.

I've sent mine in, but Apple said it was within spec and sent back along with a few nice new scratches on the screen.
mad.gif

Stu

Jul 21, 2003 at 3:54 PM Post #7 of 9
I haven't had any problems (at least that I can't hear on my desktop too). Have you tried transferring a WAV/AIFF (of a CD track you've encoded and had problems with previously) to the iPod? At least that way you can eliminate the whole compression variable. Also is it possible the sound quality of the iPod is better than your soundcard/other sources (blank profile)?

Jul 21, 2003 at 4:14 PM Post #8 of 9
One way to check on distortions is to look at the mp3, or wave file, with Audacity. Software at: http://tinyurl.com/hktd It's free!
smily_headphones1.gif
You can see the distorton (usually clipping) on the waveform even if it's difficult to hear.

I have some midi files that I converted to mp3s and they sound OK with my computer speakers but are almost un-listenable with my iPod and Koss Porta Pros.

Audacity is a really great software program.

Jul 21, 2003 at 4:31 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Oldandslow
One way to check on distortions is to look at the mp3, or wave file, with Audacity. Software at: http://tinyurl.com/hktd It's free!
smily_headphones1.gif
You can see the distorton (usually clipping) on the waveform even if it's difficult to hear.

Thanks Oldandslow! For Mac OS9/OSX and Linux users get Audacity from here .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back