Sound Isolation?
Aug 7, 2010 at 12:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

jjp75

New Head-Fier
I have been enjoying the site for a couple weeks.  Information everywhere.  

I have had a pair of Etymotic ER-4s for several years.  I use them while I cut yards.  I love their noise blocking ability.

I'm shopping for a new pair of IEM.  I'm going to have to get another pair or get the cables replaced.  I use them several days a week for 6-8 hours at a time.  So they get used and beat up quit alot.  After you mow without hearing the mower it's hard to go without them.

I have a couple questions,  What would be another pair of IEM's that have the sound isolation comparable to the Etymotics?  I would love to try another brand if they would block alot of the mower noise.

Who could I contact about redoing my old ER-4's cables?  I noticed there is a few ER-4p's for sale on the forum.  I might be better off buying another pair.

Thanks for the help,

Jason Peterson

Aug 7, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #2 of 18
The klipsch x5 and x10 are deep insertion and isolate very well.better than anything else i have owned.
When i had the x5s and was driving it felt a little dangerous they isolated so well

Aug 8, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #4 of 18

Quote:
The klipsch x5 and x10 are deep insertion and isolate very well.better than anything else i have owned.
When i had the x5s and was driving it felt a little dangerous they isolated so well

x2.  The only thing that I've tried that comes close is the ER4s w/ the Klipsch BiFlange Gels.  Haven't heard the X10 but the X5 is rather neutral but definitely a class below the ER4.

Aug 8, 2010 at 10:18 AM Post #5 of 18

Quote:
x2.  The only thing that I've tried that comes close is the ER4s w/ the Klipsch BiFlange Gels.  Haven't heard the X10 but the X5 is rather neutral but definitely a class below the ER4.

x3! I found that Klipsch gels give me even better isolation than the Etys, because the small ety triflange is too small and the big is waaay too big, and the foam is big too.

Aug 8, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #6 of 18
Isolation is much more a function of proper insertion and fit than anything inherent in the earphones themselves. Ears and ear canals vary enormously in size and shape, which is why any universal fit approach is a compromise at best.

If you're going with a universal, my recommendation is to get custom-fit sleeves. Sensaphonics makes soft silicone sleeves for most Shure and Etymotic products, which will ensure a proper fit, maximum isolation and much better comfort in long wearing sessions.

Whatever you decide, given your wear pattern, just be sure to get something with replaceable cables.

Aug 8, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #7 of 18
Thanks for the replies.  My ER-4's have a short in the pod where the clip attaches.  I'm going to go ahead and replace the cables and purchase some other iem's to try out.

I love my ER-4's.  I'm just ready to try some others since I've been using these for over 10 years.  Looks like I'm going to start an iem collection.
ksc75smile.gif

Aug 8, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #9 of 18
I never really liked the klipsch geltips ,due to there ovel shape ,the hole  always get pushed against the wall of my ear chanel pinching off the sound if i move my face around 

Aug 8, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #10 of 18
Interesting.  I don't think I'll attempt to replicate that effect.  The oval shape is the key to the comfort and isolation.  

Aug 8, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #14 of 18
the klipsch gels made my ears itch from time to time too, because they went in so deep.

Quote:
quite possibly, also the klipsch gels make my ear chanels itch like crazy after half an hour or so  
popcorn.gif

will the klipsch gels fit the Etys. ? The core was too small for any of my other IEMs
Quote:
Buy some Klipsch bi flange geltips for your ER4 and call it a day.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back