Sound isolation for trips, either noise or tuning others out...
Mar 5, 2013 at 12:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Saoshyant

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking for some IEMs for keeping out the noise on long trips, either via plane or car.  I'd prefer to keep it at 125 or under.  Musically I listen to alt/rock, and this will also be used to watching videos.  So far, Etymotic HF5 looks nice and quite capable, but of course any suggestions would be helpful!

Mar 5, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #4 of 9
Anyone with experience with the two, is there a strong difference in quality between Ety's MC5 and HF5, or is it relatively minor?

Mar 6, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #5 of 9
TBH, I have never heard of any of them. But I have the higher end ER4P, which is my current lover. Some people said HF5 isn't that far behind ER4 except for the most extreme level of details. If you want isolation, Etymotic is the way to go, but if I were in your shoes, I'd go for the HF5 if I got the money.

Mar 8, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #6 of 9
Just got my Ety HF5 in, at first I wasn't terribly impressed with the amount of isolation, then I looked at the user manual and saw how they suggested to insert them.  Apparently I hadn't gotten as good of a seal as I could initially, and I must admit I'm quite happy with the isolation now!  There was also a very noticeable increase in bass once the seal was tight.  I'm quite impressed for only costing me 75 on a warehouse deal where the only issue was not a perfect box.  I ended up buying a turbine pearl with the money I saved from the warehouse too, costing around 155 for the two.

Mar 8, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
Just got my Ety HF5 in, at first I wasn't terribly impressed with the amount of isolation, then I looked at the user manual and saw how they suggested to insert them.  Apparently I hadn't gotten as good of a seal as I could initially, and I must admit I'm quite happy with the isolation now!  There was also a very noticeable increase in bass once the seal was tight.  I'm quite impressed for only costing me 75 on a warehouse deal where the only issue was not a perfect box.  I ended up buying a turbine pearl with the money I saved from the warehouse too, costing around 155 for the two.

Good to hear that. Are you enjoying the sound of the HF5? Just be careful when using them outside for your safety.

Mar 8, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #9 of 9
I havent had a real chance to do anything more than just a test listen so far,  but I shall remedy that.  I must admit feeling pressure this deep in the ear will take a little getting used to.  Thank you for the recommendation btw

Users who are viewing this thread

Back