Sound Isolation concerns
May 8, 2004 at 5:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

zakurie

100+ Head-Fier
I've been looking for new headphones lately for use with an iPod. I own KSC-35, E888LP, and ER-4P, and they are all excellent phones. My concern is isolation. I want clean sound and nice bass (not too much though), but I also want to be able to hear whats going on around me. I can't walk with the ER-4P cause I'll get hit by a car, the KSC-35 are clunky, and the E888 sound rich, but could use more bass

So, what is the isolation of the EX71, Shure E2, and Shure E3 like? While wearing any of these, can you hear the outside world?

May 8, 2004 at 6:56 PM Post #2 of 8
e3's definitely won't cut it.

all canalphones are still gonna be isolating you from the outside world. the e3's are no exception.

May 8, 2004 at 7:09 PM Post #3 of 8
most of the earbuds i use. they either dont isolate or isolate too much. the only alternative is some form of portable, yet closed headphone. sadly there is no such thing as a good sounding headphone that have earcups that can cover most of your ears, but is small and portable at the sametime and is closed and isolate.

-px200 is small and portable, closed and isolate, but earcup too small and dont sound that good.
-eggo is closed and isolate and sound good, but still big to carry around and cant put in pockets.
-athfc7 have too much bass and 30mm driver.
-hd25 is.......cant afford.

May 8, 2004 at 8:30 PM Post #4 of 8
All canal phones isolate. Including the EX71s, only they don't isolate as much.

You should go for some sort of earbud sort of thing... small, yet they let sound through.

Try the mx series of sennheiser... 400 and 500.

There are also audio technica CM 7 ti, or something...

May 9, 2004 at 1:54 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

they either dont isolate or isolate too much

earbuds=dont isolate

canalphones=isolate way too much

heh, i agree with what you said. If he wants total isolation, look at canalphones. i dont know much about shure's. never got a chance to try them. i heard the ex71's were horrible tho. u can do a search on them. I saw them for like 30 bucks tho. I had the er6's and they isolated extremely well. i didn't like them, for they they had no bass. They were WAY too analytical for me.

May 9, 2004 at 3:58 AM Post #6 of 8
I think the best you're going to find here are the PX200's. They sound pretty good and have a relatively balanced sound (although they really sound best with a little eq'ing). The thing is, they don't really offer the detail that you'll hear from a good full sized can.

-EDIT-

I should note that this is relative... compared to Sony V-Crap they sound amazing.

May 9, 2004 at 12:50 PM Post #7 of 8
i would agree with jasper, the 200s are probably your best bet, i heard them in the shop. the small closed cups give a little isolation but you can still hear whats going on. They sound ok and are pretty good for their price.

I have a pair of sony mdr-v300s which are ok budget cans, they give some sort of isolation and they sound better than stock, but they arnt too comfortable. i dont know if you can still get them. anyway i snapped them and decided to go all out for the shure e3cs....... wow i have had them in for about a week straight. but you cant hear what anyone wants to say to you and i have almost been run down a couple of times.

good luck and let us know what you decide...

ferg

May 9, 2004 at 6:01 PM Post #8 of 8
The PX200's seem to get mixed reviews, here, but I think they sound superb and do isolate fairly well. The EX71's really don't isolate as well as I'd like, but are OK for their intended purpose which is being a big step up from the stock buds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back