Sound differences between Teflon vs Ceramic tube bases.
May 10, 2020 at 4:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Clive101

500+ Head-Fier
I have tried on the internet without success to find any difference in sound between the two bases.

I ask because I am interested in making a purchase of 2A3 KR Audio Tube HP vs the 2A3 KR Audio Tube.

After some investigation it seems the HP version (high performance) was commissioned by a certain supplier and seems to only be available in the USA and has a Ceramic base with different lettering.

The European model has the exact same specification but with different lettering and a Teflon base.

The price difference seems to be double for the HP version in the USA.

So I wondered if there is a difference in sound between the two versions owing to the construction of the base material.

Thank you for any help.

May 31, 2020 at 7:37 AM Post #2 of 6
If you're talking about KR tubes why don't you ask the company? For that kind of money you should expect a lot of personal service and decisive answers.

It would seem the only possible issue would be wear-lifetime and not sound. If they give you the same answer as me then +1 for them :wink:

May 31, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #3 of 6
If you're talking about KR tubes why don't you ask the company? For that kind of money you should expect a lot of personal service and decisive answers.

It would seem the only possible issue would be wear-lifetime and not sound. If they give you the same answer as me then +1 for them :wink:
Whoa, just looked those tubes up and yikes, extremely expensive. And I thought nos mullards weren't cheap. I'll stick with gold lion.

May 31, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #4 of 6
Whoa, just looked those tubes up and yikes, extremely expensive. And I thought nos mullards weren't cheap. I'll stick with gold lion.

These guys are actually not far from me but I didn't have a chance to go see the shop. The Kronzilla amps look amazing but totally out of my price range. There were some neat youtube videos showing how they make tubes.

May 31, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #6 of 6

I have since found the manufacture states that both tubes have the same specification (apart from the base) but did not comment on the sound difference.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back