Sound difference between Sony D-NE330 and D-NF420 PCDP
Mar 19, 2006 at 1:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dead of night

100+ Head-Fier
Yesterday, I directly compared the sound of the new D-NE 330 and the D-NF420. Using the same CD, I found that, at the same volume, the 330 sounds a little fuller and warmer. In fact, I could not listen to the 420 at the same volume level as the 330. I had to turn it lower. I don't think this is because the 420 plays "louder," but because at the same comfortably loud volume, it sounds a little thinner, brighter, and harsher.

I assume all this is a function of the 15mW vs 5mW in the separate models.

Mar 21, 2006 at 12:27 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the link, photek. I can safely say that to me, the 330 sounds better than the 420, warmer, less fatiguing, and richer in sound. The lead guitar in the intro of Sgt Pepper was more laid back and easier to listen to. Whether this is a function of more power, I'll leave to those who know more about this than me.

Apr 6, 2006 at 8:15 PM Post #4 of 5
Have to agree with you, Dead of Night. I just received my D-NE330 from J&R and have been thoroughly enjoying it. I've had more than a handful of PCDP's in the last few years, and this NE330 does indeed provide a non-distorting, richer and fuller sound than others I have had including the iRiver iMP-350 and 550. I now have a new favorite PCDP and what's great is that it's readily available and is moderately priced. Works great with my MP3 discs too.

Btw, really good synergy with the PX100.

Apr 6, 2006 at 9:12 PM Post #5 of 5
Damn posts like this just make me wanna buy stuff.
tongue.gif
I think I'll wait for Sony's higher end cd players to appear, hope they are 15mw's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back