Sound cutting out on Shure SE 535s
Apr 10, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #46 of 66
I bought some modified Shure E5c with the 535 plug.  Thought this would be great but I'm having the same issue and I don't use these for the gym.   For me however, it only happens when i move the wire.  So as long as its secured and im listening to the music its not happening, but if i turn or tap the wire with my hand it crackles.   Lucky for me I only spent $200 bux and they were new.    I would be royally pissed if I paid 500 bucks.   Shure really poorly engineered this plug. 

Jun 13, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #48 of 66
OK I took the plunge and bought some WD-40 silicone lubricant spray. Sprayed some on a q-tip , and rubbed it into the socket.  All the crackle is gone. Yeah buddy!  Now I can enjoy the headphones again.

Sep 18, 2013 at 5:39 AM Post #50 of 66
I've found a quick and dirty fix for sound cutting out.

Swap the ear buds round - plug the left earbud into the right cable - and visa versa.

Instantly fixed it for me - still good a few weeks later. It might even work again when you swap it back round later. Definitely bought me more time though.

If the cable is more than 4 or 5 months old that might also be worn out. Worth trying a new one (I like the one with the volume & stop/start/skip control on).

Also avoid moisture, rain, sweat - all gets in that connector.

Jan 29, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #52 of 66
I have been looking into this very fault with my 535s, I ordered a new lead as it had wire strands poking out near the connector (and I wanted an iPhone lead anyway) but then the left ear started working intermittently. I phoned Shure UK and spoke to a very friendly lady but bottom line for me is I needed to buy an exchange bud as I was over the two year warranty... This is on the back of having two sets of the 530s fail due to the cable, one was replaced under the two year warranty but my second set failed just after the warranty expired. I ended up buying the just released 535s as fed up with crap cable design of the 530s. Not at all happy with the build quality due to these issues.
Now I have the option to buy a new bud OR a new set of 535s as who knows when the right side will fail which, to buy both at different times would be more expensive than a new full set inc cable! OR go for the SE 846.....But if the reliability is anything to go by how can I trust the 846s will be ANY better (not sound wise).
Do I jump ship and go for a different manufacturer of high end IEM because this has left me with a very bad taste in my mouth.

Anyway I took the cover off the bud and found a foil is used to connect the driver units to the input plug. This foil has a double internal track which has fractured causing the continuity loss. If I gently move the foil, the driver starts to work, but as the foil is so flimsy, it is not possible to solder a strand of wire to make a good connection, I would have to strip it back to the driver resistor pack which is too difficult for my massive hands and very limited for space.

What to do??.

Nov 9, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #53 of 66
I was having this same issue with a pair of SE215's. I just wanted to comment that the "WD-40" cleaning did the trick for me quite well. Was sitting here pissed that the right ear would not work if I moved my head lol so I looked online, found this thread, tried it and it worked perfectly. I am sure it's not permanent but it will work good enough till I have time to ship them back to Shure. Thanks!

Feb 16, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #54 of 66
I am having this issue currently, and I am debating whether to try to the WD-40 trick or just sending them back. They are within warranty, but I can't send them back because I have had them for 6 months. I have replaced the cable, but did not work for me at all. Switching the drivers works and then the switch back sort of works, but it is a deal breaker. Not sure what to do about this. 

Feb 16, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #55 of 66
  I am having this issue currently, and I am debating whether to try to the WD-40 trick or just sending them back. They are within warranty, but I can't send them back because I have had them for 6 months. I have replaced the cable, but did not work for me at all. Switching the drivers works and then the switch back sort of works, but it is a deal breaker. Not sure what to do about this. 

if they are within warrenty i would send them back if they were mine but thats just me

Feb 16, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #56 of 66
I might do that, but they are super unhelpful generally

Apr 17, 2015 at 5:24 AM Post #58 of 66
Same here witj se535s and left ear problems. I tried left-right swap thing it fixed for like 2 weeks but now im back to sq one. I got them for more than 2 years for sure so i believe waranty is out for sure.I also didnt use them for exercise much so i dont think its sweat or anything. I dont think there is much more to do. Its really stupid considering how much they cost.

Apr 17, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #59 of 66
it is the mmcx connection i hate it, well its more like a love hate relationship but i love the 2 pins....all i can say is anyone who still has the warrenty on the se535 make sure to keep it and use it if need it. def.

Sep 15, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #60 of 66
I had the same issue with two pairs of SE215s, both with the left ear. I sent the first one in for repair and UPS lost it (although they claimed they hadn't). With the second pair (my current), I noticed oxidization on the copper connectors inside the cable and in the earphone itself (greenish plaque). This was the cause of the problem -- cleaning it with orange cleaner restored the sound and resolved the issue.
I cleaner it by pouring a big of the cleaner into the connector side of the earphone and using a needle to lightly scratch the metal. Then soaked it up/cleaned it with toilet paper and the needle. Did the same thing for the cable side as well, obviously.

Hope this helps others as well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back