1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Sound card with spdif / coax, do they exist ?

Discussion in 'Computer Audio' started by joespride, May 4, 2018.
  1. joespride
    I upgraded My PC (or so I thought) Originally I had an asus with a soundcard (came stock) that had an spdif / coax output. This held near 2 TB of FLAC which I played using J-River through my Dac>Amp> HD800. Sound was superb but Lag / Skipping became an issue. I decided a better PC may make a difference and I wanted USB 3 so I could transfer files faster

I found a Dell with intel i5 and a 3 TB HD it would also accept another HD (Bonus-Less Clutter, no outboard HD Dock station). Ended up with Dell Optiplex 7010. My issue was only had USB output, No toslink, No Spdif / coax

I went ahead and picked up a schiit eitr converter and have everything running BUT there is a discernible sound change and I definitely prefer the previous.

So my question is. Is there a sound card that offers SPDIF / COAX output, I see some cards but they all talk about the DAC which has me scratching my head. Is the DAC on the soundcard Necessary ? I strongly prefer using my Electrocompanient DAC

Any Advice ? Links certainly appreciated as well.

2. joespride
  3. Roseval
  4. joespride
    Thanks for the links, I already have a usb converter the schiit eitr, (i Have had several in the past and without spending large loot $$$) I think they are all basically equal in SQ. The only pins I can find on my MB are a spare usb set and SPKR pins. Nothing anywhere about spdif

5. PurpleAngel Contributor
    An Asus Xonar DG (PCI, $25) or Xonar DGX (PCI-E, $40) sound will allow you to had a S/PDIF optical output port, to the PC