Sound card with amp for hd590s?
Jul 19, 2009 at 5:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

b81434

New Head-Fier
Ok so i have become fed up with my m-audio revolution sound card due to the drivers/software being crap but i digress. I am looking for a good card that can also drive my hd580s. I got a cmoy amp a year back and it just didnt give me what i wanted. my perfect solution would be a sound card that can really drive my 580s. I have been reading about the ASUS Xonar cards and they sound like what i am looking for but part of me wonders if they can really drive the 580s. Mostly i listen to music and game at the same time.

I am open to any card or any amp but i dont really want to spend more than 250. I have read a lot about some of the options out there but most of them are out of my price range like the E-MU 404....

Jul 19, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #3 of 9
look for something external with a proper amp and external power supply, most internal cards are limited due to the max power draw of a pci bus,

Jul 19, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #4 of 9
Yea, definitely look for something external. I have a xonar dx soundcard, and I can't even pump the volume to 100% or else the volume starts fluctuating (I don't know exactly how to describe it, but basically it sounds like it's struggling to get power). I'm currently running my 580s out of a pimeta amp and it sounds decent, for $250 you should be able to find an amp that does much better.

Jul 20, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #5 of 9
Incidentally, you might want to change your thread title...the hd580 and hd590 are totally different 'phones, and I think the 580 would probably pique more people's interest.

That said, yeah, I bet you're going to need a DAC (external sound card...they work better than the internal kind) and amp for the 580s. Being a beginner, getting an amp/DAC combo unit would probably be the easier way to go. Check out the HiFiMan EF2; FWIR, it's a good deal, and I remember a couple of very positive reviews (I recall headphoneaddict being quite taken with it).

EDIT: The EF2 costs about $210 shipped, so it's in your price range. No other non-DIY things within your budget leaped to mind, but that's probably me being slow.

Jul 20, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #6 of 9
If you're gaming DAC isn't the way to go. X-FI Forte for more audiophile would be good as long as it supports all the stuff that my X-Fi Titanium does. It should since it has an X-FI dsp and 64mb of X-RAM. Should be a good card... but you may as well just buy them.

And that will be hassle-free for the most part. Only issues is, when you change modes between entertainment/game/creation it can sometimes cause flickering that requires a reboot. Otherwise it's pretty solid.

Jul 20, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #7 of 9
Not sure how much more power it takes to run HD590's over AD700's, but I have the lower end xonar and it drives my AD700's easily, I usually have my volume below 50%. Driver wise there is nothing better.

Jul 20, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by j3ff86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure how much more power it takes to run HD590's over AD700's, but I have the lower end xonar and it drives my AD700's easily, I usually have my volume below 50%. Driver wise there is nothing better.

The AD700 has an impedance of 32 ohms. The 580's have an impedance of 300 ohms.

If I'm doing this right, that means the Sennheisers need a lot more voltage..

Jul 21, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #9 of 9
Asus Xonar Essence STX or upcoming ST, can power 600ohm phones, there's 3 settings in the software, when I had the STX I used the lowest setting because I only had HD555 then, I didn't have my HD600 (there was a note saying be careful for the settings if you don't have the right ohm headphone).

External DAC+AMP also works, I am running optical out from my sound card to my external and it has been awesome. I don't use my X-Fi stuff but if I wish to I definitely could, best for both worlds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back