Sound Card Dieing.. Advice on next step?
Sep 14, 2009 at 2:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

worminater

100+ Head-Fier
Hello.

Currently; I have an XFI Xtreme Music --> GoVibev4 --> dt770 pro 250ohm as my desktop setup; and I like it. I also some AL MX5021 speakers I swap plugs with whenever I want speakers.

My problem is I think my XFI is dieing.. Randomly the card just stops working (win7 rc as OS right now; the card hs gone through multiple builds.)

Looking at current sound cards for a replacement; I started to think whether I should change approach. I don't game as much as I used to; and would like to get away from manual cable switching.. My motherboard onboard audio has optical out; if I just picked up a receiver; that should be able to power my dt770s properly (if I choose carefully) and I can just pick up a couple monitors (I only care about 2 or 2.1 channel speakers in office).

In other words; would it be better to pick up say an HT Claro + or some other quality sound card(let me ditch the govibe), or could I simply use my optical out to a receiver and run speakers off it also (sell govibe + speakers to cover costs somewhat).

Any recommendations are much appreciated; I'm not sure what angle to go from here.

Thanks,
Chris

Sep 14, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #2 of 3
Really depends on your budget and what you have right now for gear. If you already have a receiver then you can use that. However, many low-mid grade receivers aren't known for having high quality DAC's built in. Not sure what you have just mentioning it.
Maybe a S/Pdif input DAC and connect to the receiver and speakers you have for amplification?

Sep 14, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #3 of 3
If I bought a decent receiver; and then S/PDIF from my the onboard to the receiver; would that be clean enough?

I think my budget is ~250; though it is flexible. I do have a Behringer UCA202 on my desk at work that I can re-purpose if the onboard won't hold up(I'd probably buy a new soundcard in a month or two if thats the case..)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back