Sound blocking headphones to use while cutting grass?
Jul 16, 2005 at 11:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

bookimdano

New Head-Fier
Can anybody recommend headphones to use while cutting grass?

I have regular earbud style headphones that came with my mp3 player but I hate to use them because they don't block out any sound. If I use regular headphones I would have to turn the volume way up to overcome the sound of the lawn mower. I'm afraid everything would be so loud that it would damage my hearing.

Here are features I am looking for:

1. I want to pay $35 or less.
2. They need to stay in the ear while moving around.
3. They should block out external sound well.
4. The cord should be sturdy.

Do you have any recommendations?

Jul 16, 2005 at 11:50 PM Post #2 of 27
uh, i think anyhting that has a motor will be hard to block out. canal phones may even be bad. dont know if we can help lol.

Jul 17, 2005 at 12:10 AM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHoboFest
look at his budget too, but you are trying to listen to music too right?

You can't get canal phones for that price and nothing will do a better job.

Jul 17, 2005 at 12:18 AM Post #8 of 27
What you really need are these: http://www.extremeheadphones.com/

I just heard a pair, and they actually sound pretty damned good! The degree to which they block outside sound is remarkable. They are plenty comfy, but they are BIG (they look like what the jet aircraft guys wear, since they work that way) You will look like a total geek wearing them, trust me, but they will do the job. I'm going to get some, after my fund recovers from my upcoming "Darth Beyer" purchase
600smile.gif

Jul 17, 2005 at 1:13 AM Post #10 of 27
Wow, thanks for all the fast replies. I thought everybody here would be out on a hot date since this is a Saturday night!
biggrin.gif

Anyways...

The "lawn" Thanks for the innovative suggestion about using a reel type mower. However, the "lawn" I cut is so steep in places that I have to use metal spike baseball shoes just to be able to stand safely. The it takes about 4 hours total to cut when trimming is included.

What I listen to: 60% NPR, This American Life and other talk programs. 40% Music downloaded from WFMU (For incredible music you'ld never find on a Clearchannel station visit WFMU at http://www.wfmu.org/ Their forums are a little boring but they have a great blog.)

Appearance: At my age I just don't give a damn anymore.

Headphones I was considering: I was thinking about using low end in-ear (canal?) phones such as Koss "The Plug" phones or Sony Fontopias. I think I read somewhere that they tend to fall out if you move around alot. (not sure though) I've heard that the Sure E2c's are great but they are out of my price range right now. Since they are so expensive I would be afraid of damaging them while working. (This might not be an issue though if I run the wire inside my shirt.) Is it true that the cord rubbing against a shirt can cause distracting sounds with canal type headphones? - Those Extreme Isolation Headphones sound great too but at $139 I'd hate to get them sweaty and dirty.

I never thought about using earmuffs with earbuds. Just one question though, do earmuffs work if you wear glasses?

Sorry for rambling but writing sure beats watching the Weather Channel
frown.gif

Jul 17, 2005 at 1:29 AM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by bookimdano
I've heard that the Sure E2c's are great but they are out of my price range right now.

You can get a used pair here for $45-50 shipped.

Jul 17, 2005 at 5:37 AM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by bookimdano
Headphones I was considering: I was thinking about using low end in-ear (canal?) phones such as Koss "The Plug" phones or Sony Fontopias. I think I read somewhere that they tend to fall out if you move around alot. (not sure though) I've heard that the Sure E2c's are great but they are out of my price range right now. Since they are so expensive I would be afraid of damaging them while working.

I went through a long process of trying to find a phone for grass cutting. I use an e2c and an er6 portably, and i'm sure both would work fine with foamies to isolate from the mower sounds. I couldn't bring myself to use these while cutting grass however, with all the sweating and the danger of catching the cord a branch or something.

So I then tried the Koss Plug. Ugh. Wouldn't stay in my ears no matter what size or shape tip I tried. And the sound was horrid. Tried both the EX-71s and Apple In Ears. Neither isolated enough. I had to turn them up to what I considered dangerously loud volumes to hear them. For cutting grass I could deal with the sub par sound on these two, but the isolation problem was a deal breaker.

Finally I tried the Apple In Ears with Shure e2c foamies. Worked great. Cheap phone I didn't care about? Check. Good isolation? Check. Good sound? Che...well not so much, but good enough for cutting grass. Actually the apple in ears sound better with the shure foamies even when not cutting the grass.

So that's my solution at least.

Jul 17, 2005 at 5:40 AM Post #15 of 27
I have a pair The Plug made by Koss and my overall impression is that they aren't that great. They do have pretty good isolation, and coupled with earmuffs I can mow the lawn and hear the music just fine. However, they DO fall out easily and they're a pain to get in. You have to jam them in sometimes and then that gets uncomfortable after awhile. After four hours your ears might ache. They're also sort of muffled and bass heavy. I would suggest getting a good set of earbuds that others have suggested and then using earmuffs.

Also, I've worn earmuffs with sunglasses before, and it isn't a problem. Everyone' s head is different though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back