Sound advice. Bose AE2 alternatives...
Mar 11, 2011 at 12:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

bosworth99

New Head-Fier
Greetings, forum.

Here's my situation: I work as a web developer in a busy office - 10 hour shifts. For focus and sanity's sake - i sport headphones 95% of the time. My Sony MDR-V500s just snapped at the weakpoint (again). After a couple days of crap earbuds, I went to the local Best Buy and purchased a set of Bose AE2's. A desperate move, and one I now regret.

What I like about them: Lightweight. They float on my noggin and are ridiculously comfortable, for long multi-hour stretches. 

But thats it. 

Sound quality is just ok. Nothing amazing. Build of the headset seems... fragile. Like, they are going to break in two if I drop them. Cable is wimpy. I just can't see these things holding up for a few years of rigorous use. 

Honestly = if these phones were $75, they'd be a pretty good deal, but they cost fully twice that. I paid about $75 for my old Sony's like 5 years ago, and except for the weak point that I had to epoxy on both sides, I really liked them. 

So. Not too happy. I will be taking advantage of Best Buys 30 day return policy. 

Now - the question is - what set do I actually purchase?

Denon AH-D 1100's might do the trick, but thats my best guess. I've read a couple reviews saying the audio was good, but the build was not - weak plastic.. etc. 

I listen to a wide range of music - everything from classical to indie to electronica, so overwhelming bass (ala Beats) isn't required. My listening device of choice is an HTC EVO mobile phone, and the android Power AMP app ( features a very good EQ). Music source is primarily 256k mp3s and HQ Pandora / Last.fm. 

My budget is upwards of $200 - $250. I'd love bluetooth/wireless, but its not a deal breaker. Mostly - build quality / comfort / and of course audio quality is of high priority. I really don't have much expertise in this arena, so I defer to the experts...

Thanks, and cheers!

Mar 11, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #2 of 7
Might I suggest the Audio Technica ATH-AD900.

Also look into Beyerdynamic DT series (770/880/or 990). I don't have personal experience with these but on these forums they are recommended quite often in your price range.

Mar 11, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #3 of 7
I will check these out, for sure. Anyone have first person experience with the BDs? 

I do work amongst people. And I would like to keep sound leakage to a minimum. I'm guessing that an 'open' design may not be the best choice.

Anything else?  

Thanks for the reply!!

Mar 11, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #4 of 7
I have not tried it, but going with Audio Technicas, you might want to try the A900, the closed ones. If it fits your head the wings are ridiculously comfortable for long listening sessions. I have tried the dt770s and they are also very comfortable and isolate very very well.

Mar 21, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #6 of 7
After much deliberation I went with a slightly different option:

I just received a set of Audio-Technica ATH-M50 phones from the Amazons.

And. um. Wow. 

Listening to the new Tron soundtrack with them right now. 

Just. Wow.

I won't bore anyone with the details - but they definitely live up to every glowing review i read. Mostly, they sound effin amazing, and are built like a tank. AND manage to be quite comfortable. I just can't believe they were so inexpensive... ($118)

They wipe the floor with the AE2's. (For BestBuy's part in this, they did take back the crap Bose phones without question, and gave me a quick refund.)

That being said, I didn't go with the A900s mostly just due to their size. But it was a really tough decision.
The M50s, while still large enough for my noggin, aren't overly huge, and matched, in style, the phones i was replacing. Which I like.

I may pick up a pair of the A900s (or a comparable open set) at some point in the near future, just for home use...

I assume fine headphones become a sick obsession quite rapidly.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back