Sorry to bother you guys.
Jul 31, 2005 at 5:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

bigboi18

New Head-Fier
I'm not a huge nut when it comes to headphones, but I need some help. I was told to come here by someone on a different forum I am on. Here is the deal, I recently picked up a shuffle. I need some decent earbuds, I have been checking out Sony's (ex51, ex71) for it. I will be using these for working out and thats about it. I need to keep the price low, or else I have to deal with the girlfriend kicking me. I mostly listen to trance, ambient, and rap, with a touch of rock here and there. I'd like good bass response. I need a very budget orientated pair. Trying to stay sub $40 pricing. I know it isn't a lot, I'd love to look at the Shures, but I'd just stand there and drool. Any help would be appreciated.

Jul 31, 2005 at 5:36 AM Post #2 of 23
Jul 31, 2005 at 5:37 AM Post #3 of 23
Ex51/Ex71's should be good (i say get the 51's, they'll be cheaper and not have the weird cord for working out). Everyone on here finds faults with them but I think they're a fun canalphone to listen to, the bass is a little sloppy and one-note but its definately there in bundles, and they definately work into the music you listen to. Isolation would be pretty decent too.

Jul 31, 2005 at 5:43 AM Post #4 of 23
It is going to be hard to get anything for $40 if you want canalphones. You can find the Shure E2c for as low as $60 online if you shop around. It has a lot of bass. It gets a little muddy at times though. The isolation is worth every penny in my opinion. They also sound much more natural than the Sony ex71s. Sorry I could not help you more.

Jul 31, 2005 at 5:46 AM Post #6 of 23
Why earbuds???? U need to go over $100 to get any decent In Ear Monitor (Canal Phone). If you are intending on buying just some earbuds, don't expect to get any drastic improvement over your stock ipod buds.

If you are not damn adament of earbuds, then Sennheiser PX100 would be a really good purchase and you would not be dissapointed. Its relatively small in size, foldable, stylish and whole lot of great sound. below is the link for the can.

Sennheiser PX100

Quote:

I need to keep the price low, or else I have to deal with the girlfriend kicking me.

hmm... the way I look at it, it will be well worth your GFs kick if you go for the best killer headphone in your budget. The kick is just momentory, and unlike your GF, the headphone will give you several years of "FAITHFULL" music
evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Again, if you specify your Maximum budget, we may be able to give more accurate suggestions.

Jul 31, 2005 at 5:47 AM Post #7 of 23
$40 would be my maximum, I understand that the money is very low, but also I will not be using these a lot. Just trying to see what else is out there that is a decent quality other than the Sony's. Thanks, I am very impressed with your guy's knowledge.

Also like I said, very new to all this, I don't know the correct terminology (canal phones). Just looking for some advice.

Jul 31, 2005 at 5:57 AM Post #9 of 23
People, these are headphones for working out, not to listen to intricate details of classical music.

Jul 31, 2005 at 4:39 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Or if you're worried about the unmovable plastic clip, KSC-75s for the same price from Circuit City or just about anywhere.

Now that I've heard good headphones, I just can't go back to the EX71s, they just sound horrific however much I try and keep an open mind.

Jul 31, 2005 at 4:56 PM Post #13 of 23
Jump on that ksc-35, it's a great phone for the price and I bet you won't be disapointed with the sound at all.

Jul 31, 2005 at 7:28 PM Post #14 of 23
The best advice I can give is, you should not buy anything. At $40 you are wasting your money IMO. Save your money and go for the Grado SR60 at a price of $69. At that point lock up your wallet and run away from here as fast as you can. Because you will have just entered the world of hi-fi and there is no turning back!

"Long the standard to beat in the sub-$100 category, stiff competition has put the SR60 back into a tight race for “Best Sounding Cheap Cans.” These headphones deliver liquid mids and, solid bass performance."

http://www.headphone.com/products/he...rado-sr-60.php

Jul 31, 2005 at 8:17 PM Post #15 of 23
Do you need isolation? In that case, Creative's EP-630s should do the job nicely. They don't have as much bass response as the EX51s, but at least they don't sound as shrill and/or stuffy. Otherwise you might want to go with the KSC-35/75s, provided the clip-on design is acceptable.

Now... I wouldn't recommend sealed headphones for any physically stressful activities, unless you enjoy the sound of breathing, blood circulation etc. Try hopping around wearing earplugs (or just stick fingers in them... the ears that is
biggrin.gif
) to simulate this wonderful feeling.
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back