Sorry to ask but I NEED DAC help!
Jul 16, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #16 of 25
I don't really know much about that specific model, but I can give you some general advice.

First, I would mostly pick something based on its feature set and not whatever claims they make about the sound.  Most things sound pretty good these days.  Second, the best you can say about the "upgraded" parts is that they'll likely start off closer to spec and stay closer to spec over time.  This is good for reliability, but little else.  I wouldn't bother unless you plan on keeping and using it for a long time.  If you are going to hold on to for a while it could be a good investment.  Third, I don't think the headamp on the DAC01/D1 is actually as strong as they say on the website so I wouldn't let that be a deciding factor.  Fourth, while I'm skeptical of opamp rolling, having tried it myself in a few products and not noticed much if any difference, it a lot more plausible than boutique cables and what not.

Jul 16, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #18 of 25
I wouldn't really worry about accepting 192khz signals unless you already have music sampled at that rate and if you don't already,  I'd stay away from it.  Audio sampled at 192khz is mostly just a marketing gimmick.  24/96 is already overkill.

Jul 16, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #19 of 25

Quote:
I wouldn't really worry about accepting 192khz signals unless you already have music sampled at that rate and if you don't already,  I'd stay away from it.  Audio sampled at 192khz is mostly just a marketing gimmick.  24/96 is already overkill.

*nods*

Jul 17, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #21 of 25
I don't really know why it would output anything at 192khz unless it was recorded that way to begin with and even on a blu-ray I'd think they'd want to try and save some space for the video.

Jul 17, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #22 of 25
I understand the whole 192kHz thing is stupid... but if a bluray has 192kHz audio then will the bluray player be able to output it as 96kHz? or will I ever run into problems not being able to accept the signal?

Jul 17, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #23 of 25
That's not impossible, but I kind doubt it.  Most good players should have options for what sort of audio signal it outputs including format, downsampling, and upsampling.  Unless the implementation is absolutely horrendous none of those should have any audible effect on quality.

I'm hardly an expert on that sort of thing though.  All my media, music or video, is played from PC so I couldn't tell you how common such features are on stand alone players.

Jul 17, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #24 of 25
Thanks again, Maverickronin. I have been looking up Jitter and guess that the difference between 150ps and 50ps isn't audible, so IF the CS8416 version can accept 192kHz signals I will choose it (despite the worse jitter) just to be safe that it will accept the signal from any device.

Jul 17, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #25 of 25
It usually doesn't hurt to play it safe.  That difference in jitter should be inaudible.  I can never remember exactly what the thresholds are but IIRC its something like a few nanoseconds for a pure tone and a few times that amount for actual music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back