Sorry guys... Zune 16 vs. S639
Nov 2, 2008 at 3:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Calexico

Headphoneus Supremus
I realize these two MP3 players are talked about a lot, but I'd really like a direct comparison, with what each player does better/worse than the other.

This is purely based on SQ, I'll factor in the prettiness, UI, and price myself.

Here are some things that I'm specifically interested in, although I'd really like most or all aspects of the sound compared.
Soundstage (bigger the better)
Treble (strong but not harsh)
Bass (there but not overdone)

I know that the Zune has no EQ whereas the Sony does. There's no need to compare them flat if the Sony is best when EQed.

I'll be using these with either ER6i or RE2 and possibly a Fiio E3/E5 (once it comes out). I'll be listening to mostly v0 vbr and 320 MP3s. I have some lower quality stuff, but honestly, I don't care how those sound, since I plan on replacing them anyways.

PLEASE don't mention other MP3 players here (unless someone else asks for themselves), I've really narrowed it down to these two for my next purchase.

Btw are these players generally available at local Best Buys? I'll probably order online or where the best deal is, but I'd like to see and try them in real life.

Nov 2, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #2 of 22
The Sony players have really good synergy with Etymotic earphones.

Nov 2, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #4 of 22
For SQ alone the Sony players rule. The Zune comes in 2nd place.

Nov 3, 2008 at 1:51 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calexico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay cool, that's without the Fiio right?

You don't need the FiiO with ER-6i, it'll probably just add noise/hiss and muddy everything up. The FiiO I had is long gone because all it did was just muddy everything up.

If you want to eke more bass out of the slightly thin ER-6i, I suggest using Shure black foams in lieu of the triflanges or stock foams.

Nov 3, 2008 at 2:13 PM Post #10 of 22
I have an older (61x) sony and ER 6i's. The sound quality on the sony kills anything else I've listened to, and the EQ does what the EQ says, doesn't really mess the sound up unless you have TONS of settings on. For more bass on the 6i's, I either use +1 bass on the EQ or I use foam tips. Go for the sony

Nov 4, 2008 at 10:26 AM Post #12 of 22
Note that Advanced MP3 Players is a UK based shop. I don't even know if they ship overseas, but it is likely you can get better deals in your country considering how expensive things are over here.

Nov 4, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #13 of 22
It's actually a very good deal. They ship overseas and give an 18 pound discount, which effectively cancels out the shipping price. It ends up around $190. I think that's a VERY good deal based on previous Sony players, but I'd like a point of reference lol.

I just hope the discount for overseas stays until Christmas, when I can actually get one. Hopefully by then it'll be in the US as well so I have some more options for purchase.

Nov 4, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #14 of 22
First time I've heard about importing from the UK being a good deal!

Anyway both play.com and Amazon UK has the 16GB for £115. Unfortunately they do not to deliver electronic goods to oversea addresses.

Nov 4, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #15 of 22
Check out the shipping info @advanced mp3, they DO ship overseas. It all depends how bad you wan't the Sony. Me, I'll wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back