Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Oct 25, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #9,001 of 9,173
Still using my Z7 nearly every day. Bought it off Amazon in mid-2017 and got a nice price discount. I changed the cushions last Fall with a new OEM set I ordered from Japan. Got a back up set of cushions in the closet in case Sony stops making the part.

Mine did not like my screwdriver and started to peel a bit around the headband screw. Hope it doesn't get worse.

So you spent for the 2 sets of cushions as much as for the headphone itself? I would never do that.

Oct 25, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #9,002 of 9,173
Mine did not like my screwdriver and started to peel a bit around the headband screw. Hope it doesn't get worse.

So you spent for the 2 sets of cushions as much as for the headphone itself? I would never do that.

The cushions only cost me about $65 per set. The OEM cushions for the Z7 typically retail in Japan for ¥2,300 which is converted to about $45 per pair. There were additional fees to cover international EMS shipping charges from Japan and service fees for the Japanese based shipping proxy service. The proxy orders domestic japanese product on behalf of a foreign customer and then handles the international shipment to the customer.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2020 at 6:04 AM Post #9,003 of 9,173
The cushions only cost me about $65 per set. The OEM cushions for the Z7 typically retail in Japan for ¥2,300 which is converted to about $45 per pair. There were additional fees to cover international EMS shipping charges from Japan and service fees for the Japanese based shipping proxy service. The proxy orders domestic japanese product on behalf of a foreign customer and then handles the international shipment to the customer.
Could you put a link for those OEM pads? Thanks.

Nov 9, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #9,006 of 9,173
New Z7 customer here :) I want to ask one question. The adapter from 3,5 to 6,3 mm is by click and not screwed?, I buy a second hand Z7s and my adaptor is screwed, but can't screw into the 3,5 mm plug, just click it there. The problem is if I barely touch the conector the music attenuates and sound bad.

Nov 9, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #9,007 of 9,173
New Z7 customer here :) I want to ask one question. The adapter from 3,5 to 6,3 mm is by click and not screwed?, I buy a second hand Z7s and my adaptor is screwed, but can't screw into the 3,5 mm plug, just click it there. The problem is if I barely touch the conector the music attenuates and sound bad.
You're talking about on the headphone end, correct? If it's the stock cable, it should have a little sleeve on each end of the connector that plugs into the headphone. This sleeve is threaded and screws into threads on the headphone itself. If your 6.3mm cable doesn't have the sleeves, then they must have included a 3rd party cable with your Z7. If this is the case, it definitely should have been disclosed prior to buying it. Meaning the seller should have said the OEM cable was not included.

Nov 9, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #9,008 of 9,173
You're talking about on the headphone end, correct? If it's the stock cable, it should have a little sleeve on each end of the connector that plugs into the headphone. This sleeve is threaded and screws into threads on the headphone itself. If your 6.3mm cable doesn't have the sleeves, then they must have included a 3rd party cable with your Z7. If this is the case, it definitely should have been disclosed prior to buying it. Meaning the seller should have said the OEM cable was not included.
No, I'm talking about the 3,5 mm conector that plugs into the amp, and have a 6,3 mm adaptor (included) that doesn't screw (but is screwed) in the 3,5 mm conector, just click in it, but stays loose and if I move it a little the sound distorts... (I move the conector a little when I turn the volume pot).

Nov 18, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #9,009 of 9,173
I'm listening the mytical "Jazz at the Pawnshop" with the Z7s and is pure magic... I think they complement perfectly my HD 800 for pure audiophile genres and even some pop music that I occasionally listen. But I don't recommend them for rock or metal, even if the bass has power, I don't like them for those genres.

I try to don't touch the jack, when conected. Very bad design to click instead of screw the 6,3 mm adaptor. I prefer the headphones that have 6,3 mm end and an adaptor to 3,5 mm.

I'm very satisfied to have taken the decision of buying a Z7 second hand in the forum classifieds. The comfort is exceptional in these headphones.

Nov 21, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #9,010 of 9,173
I have loved the sound, but comfort has been one of the standout features of these headphones for me. I almost can't go back to my MDR-1000X noise canceling headphones, and they feel like torture devices after about an hour.

I'm very happy with my purchase at $319 used (like new). I'm actually kind of nervous to try another set of cans (I've been considering the Hifiman HE400i planar headphones as a supplement) because of comfort. I can't imagine more comfortable headphones.

Nov 21, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #9,011 of 9,173
I have loved the sound, but comfort has been one of the standout features of these headphones for me. I almost can't go back to my MDR-1000X noise canceling headphones, and they feel like torture devices after about an hour.

I'm very happy with my purchase at $319 used (like new). I'm actually kind of nervous to try another set of cans (I've been considering the Hifiman HE400i planar headphones as a supplement) because of comfort. I can't imagine more comfortable headphones.
You could consider a pair of AudioQuest NightHawks. Very comfortable. They have a similar smooth and bassy sound character, but sound different enough to warrant a purchase.

Nov 21, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #9,012 of 9,173

So do I... I will buy a Denon AH-D9200 next week, I will wait for a black friday discount and if I won't find any, I will buy at normal price... I'm so worried about the comfort, even more because some members of the forum reported a little comfort issues with AH-D9200 headband.

If I trully love the sound of the AH-D9200 and don't find them so uncomfortable to me, I will keep them... But after trying these so comfortable Z7s, I couldn't stand my 2006's Senn HD 555 and my new Beyer DT 150 and today I have put both on sale.

Even with sound off, I barely notice the Z7s on my head...

Nov 23, 2020 at 9:07 AM Post #9,014 of 9,173
Curious if you guys find the Z7 pad replacement an easy task or is it difficult? Considering getting one used but I'm concerned about longevity and maintenance of the pads.

For maintenance, its easy, since it's not glued like audeze LCD series as example, you just need 1 mini screwdriver and you done, slip the earpads on the provided rings after you unscrew it. Basically, you dont really need the screw, just put on the safe place for easier replacement, therefore if you stick to original earpads, the process is so easier to do to replace the pads.

However if you used 3rd party earpads, to make it perfectly safe attached, you must use the screw because there's no provided original screw hole pin like original earpads, so you must use the screw for 3rd party pads (if lost no worries you can replace with another screw with same size), but be careful of the rings itself, there's no replacement anywhere as far as i know, if thats broken, then you basically fcked up, that's the only caveat, just gently and be careful, i think you will be ok.

You can find alternative 3rd party pads lambskin on ebay or aliexpress or others, it's not hard to find.

I have third party pads lambskin and original earpads, third party pads is more thick but comfortable as well as the original.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #9,015 of 9,173
For maintenance, its easy, since it's not glued like audeze LCD series as example, you just need 1 mini screwdriver and you done, slip the earpads on the provided rings after you unscrew it. Basically, you dont really need the screw, just put on the safe place for easier replacement, therefore if you stick to original earpads, the process is so easier to do to replace the pads.

However if you used 3rd party earpads, to make it perfectly safe attached, you must use the screw because there's no provided original screw hole pin like original earpads, so you must use the screw for 3rd party pads (if lost no worries you can replace with another screw with same size), but be careful of the rings itself, there's no replacement anywhere as far as i know, if thats broken, then you basically fcked up, that's the only caveat, just gently and be careful, i think you will be ok.

You can find alternative 3rd party pads lambskin on ebay or aliexpress or others, it's not hard to find.

I have third party pads lambskin and original earpads, third party pads is more thick but comfortable as well as the original.
Do you notice the sound different with the aftermarket pads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back