Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
May 3, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #8,866 of 9,173
it's not a pre made one, modded normal sheepskin with punched holes on the rims to fit the OG pad's rings

May 5, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #8,868 of 9,173
I just got this headphone recently, anyone knows how to buy replacement earpads thats equal quality to the original ones, and also different material perhaps ?!

Also is sony still sell them ?

May 6, 2020 at 8:10 AM Post #8,869 of 9,173
How is the fit? Does it change the sound a lot?
not much it just dampens the bass a to be a tad less, and still retain the forwardu upper mids, I quite like it actually.
I dont think anyone have made a pad with a ring that can clip on to the headphone, the only method ivve seen is either buy big and cover the whole baffle of the headphone or cut the ring out from the OG pad's, wouldn't recommend that, just use them super comfy pads till it start flaking off and then try pulling off the rings.

May 6, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #8,870 of 9,173
not much it just dampens the bass a to be a tad less, and still retain the forwardu upper mids, I quite like it actually.
I dont think anyone have made a pad with a ring that can clip on to the headphone, the only method ivve seen is either buy big and cover the whole baffle of the headphone or cut the ring out from the OG pad's, wouldn't recommend that, just use them super comfy pads till it start flaking off and then try pulling off the rings.

Thanks man, i've seen pictures of people doing the ring exchange. How is the headband padding holding on your Z7?

May 7, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #8,871 of 9,173
First evening with the z7s tonight :) I have the original version.

I bought these to have a bit more isolation when my girlfriend is doing stuff around the livingroom. I think they isolate well enough for that purpose. I also bought them to complement my Stax SR-L500 - they are my favorite headphones for a bunch of genres, but not bass-centric music or some contemporary EDM/pop tracks and so on. So I was looking for a can with more body, more bass, and less treble.

I tried plugging them right into the laptop yesterday, but they sounded like crap and wouldn't go loud enough. Amp came in the mail today so hooked them up, and that fixed the sound right away.

First impressions of the sound:

- A lot more audiophile grade than I thought they would be. Seems to be great allrounders!
- Bass was a lot more controlled and less bloomy then I thought. The good thing is that its less intrusive on non-bass recordings, the bad things is its not blowing my ears off as much as I might've liked. Reminds me of when I got the TH 900 - It was way more controlled than my old Denon AH-D5000, which was sad on bass tracks. The good thing is of course that speedy tracks has a lot more punch and dynamic.
- More treble energy than I thought. I got the impression this headphone was really laid back - its decently laid back, but not as much as HD650 for instance.
- Big, big soundstage! A lot bigger than I expected. I love it, really fun. Reminds me a bit about TH 900 again. Not as large as those, but pretty big.
- More detailed than I thought! I'm really impressed actually. Seems to be maybe right below the level of TH 900 and LCD 2 detail wise. Just lacks a bit air and overall clarity to compete with those, but I think it makes up for it with a lot of body.

Overall: Not as fatigue free as HD650/LCD 2, but not as fatigue heavy as TH 900. Clearer sound than the old Denons, but less bass. I think these cans are very dynamic and fun. I like them a lot!

May 7, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #8,872 of 9,173
@AudioThief what amp are you using with your Z7? I just snagged from eBay a used pair of the original Z7 myself, set to arrive on Thursday; thanks for your impressions, I'm looking even more forward to hearing them myself now!

May 7, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #8,873 of 9,173
@AudioThief what amp are you using with your Z7? I just snagged from eBay a used pair of the original Z7 myself, set to arrive on Thursday; thanks for your impressions, I'm looking even more forward to hearing them myself now!

I'm using a reasonably cheap tube amp called Argon Ha2 from a Norwegian company. These are very easy to drive so any decent amp should do the job! I got the z7s for around 200$ which I think is a complete steal - the sound quality is definitely more in the 800$ range to my ears, depending on your tastes of course. What I like about these, and what I love about Sony as a company is that they always make something that is a bit of a curveball - this headphone is no different. Its a closed, bassy but not too bassy headphone with serious audiophile chops. Its also not offensive, which many headphones unfortunately are, and they are great allrounders. They seem to handle a range of genres really well.

May 7, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #8,876 of 9,173
I'm using a reasonably cheap tube amp called Argon Ha2 from a Norwegian company. These are very easy to drive so any decent amp should do the job! I got the z7s for around 200$ which I think is a complete steal - the sound quality is definitely more in the 800$ range to my ears, depending on your tastes of course. What I like about these, and what I love about Sony as a company is that they always make something that is a bit of a curveball - this headphone is no different. Its a closed, bassy but not too bassy headphone with serious audiophile chops. Its also not offensive, which many headphones unfortunately are, and they are great allrounders. They seem to handle a range of genres really well.

Ah, I googled that amp, I like the way it looks!

I'll be traveling when I get it (having it sent to my parents actually since I'll be there soon), so I will only have one a relatively "weak" portable DAC/amp (Roland UA-10, 158 mW/channel at 40 Ohms load) with me, but it drove my Brainwavz Alara "ok enough" last time I was traveling, and while those have lower impedance (20 Ohm vs 70 Ohm for Z7), they're also less sensitive (94 dB @ 1 mW vs 102 dB for Z7), so it may be not completely ideal but I'm going to bank on it being adequate enough for the time being until I get back home with them. :smirk:

$200? Holy cow, that's a GREAT price, definitely a steal, I paid $345 with tax and shipping and thought that was a good deal. :)

May 9, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #8,878 of 9,173
Frustated to find backup genuine earpads, i found this on aliexpress

Earpads.jpg

Is that earpads as good as original ones ? What you guys think ?! is that 3rd party earpads reduce certain aspect of sound and comfort compare to the original ones !? or is there a better 3rd party alternative ?

I just wondering how hard to attach plastic ring to replace the genuine earpads to the 3rd party ones, any particular things i should know ?! Also AFAIK since no one sell the plastic ring, i guess i must be carefull not to break it then !?

Last edited:
May 10, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #8,879 of 9,173
some people have been able to detach it from the OG pad's without breaking them I haven't done them myself tho, so no comment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back