Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
May 13, 2015 at 5:17 AM Post #4,966 of 9,173
  The downside imo is that the Kimber kable hasn't got the best ergonomics. It's very well build (real eye candy), but also a bit stiff and sturdy. Because I use my Pono mostly to walk around the house, the stock balanced cable feels much lighter and comfortable on the go. And that's why I'm seriously considering to sell the Kimber again for around the price I got it (€150)
I guess it's a great cable for desktop use though...

Yes. 

I completely agree with you Kerouac. 

I have the 1.2m version - I chose this option since I do not have any balanced output on my dac.

It is pain to adjust the cable since it is too stiff. 

While it is well built - yeah people always ask what kind of geeky thing is that cable.. lol

The thing is that I was intending to use Z7 as a portable can as well but after spending time with Z7 outside, there are just too much hazard and it is indeed getting hot.. 

I only use Z7 while I am on my desktop and also while using them when I have to sit down for long time. (In library, long ride of car)

However, I don't think it is so bad that I would consider selling the cable. 

May 13, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #4,968 of 9,173

No, they're not - they're pure copper.
Sorry if the wording of my post led you to believe otherwise.  

But there are many copper strands in the Kimber.  That has value too.....

May 13, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #4,970 of 9,173

But there are many copper strands in the Kimber.  That has value too.....

Yes, and it's my understanding that the braiding has value as well...

Here is a direct quote from Sony's PR materials:

Additionally, Sony is introducing the MUC-S20BL1, MUC-S30UM1 and MUC-S12SM1 cables all use a multi-gauge conductor and twisted pair cable structure which twist hot and cold signal lines with each other, resulting in a reduced loss of signal transmission. The influence of the current noise caused by external magnetic fluxes that go through the cable is also reduced through this twisted pair structure, resulting in High-Resolution sound with a sense of presence. These Sony cables utilize a 2-layer conductor composed of silver-coated OFC (Oxygen Free Copper), resulting in smooth high note frequency reproduction that minimizes signal transmission loss & sound deterioration. The MUC-M20BL1 and MUC-M12SM1 Sony cables similarly utilize the Silver-coated OFC and Multi-gauge conductor structure – but differentiate themselves through the use of a Star Quad cable structure. By applying a twisted 4-pole structure, the magnetic flux caused by signal current is cancelled and the current noise influence from outside is reduced, resulting in a rich, stable sound that reproduces the air of the original recorded atmosphere. MUC-S cables are designed for the MDR-1A and the MUC-M cables are designed for XBA-Z5.

According to this the cables are silver coated OFC.

May 13, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #4,971 of 9,173
I went with the Kimber unbalanced cable, as I've not picked up a PHA3 yet.  There was a noticeable difference in sound quality.  It wasn't huge, but I definitely don't have to turn my ZX1 up as much with the Z7s as I did with the stock cables.  Some of that might be from the stock cable being stupidly long, which was a main reason I looked for swapping it out.  I mostly listen to mine at my desk at work, and I was rolling my chair over the stock cable.

Once I get a PHA3, I'll probably get the Kimber balanced cables too.  I've been pleased with the ones I have, so far.

May 13, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #4,972 of 9,173

Additionally, Sony is introducing the MUC-S20BL1, MUC-S30UM1 and MUC-S12SM1 cables all use a multi-gauge conductor and twisted pair cable structure which twist hot and cold signal lines with each other, resulting in a reduced loss of signal transmission. The influence of the current noise caused by external magnetic fluxes that go through the cable is also reduced through this twisted pair structure, resulting in High-Resolution sound with a sense of presence. These Sony cables utilize a 2-layer conductor composed of silver-coated OFC (Oxygen Free Copper), resulting in smooth high note frequency reproduction that minimizes signal transmission loss & sound deterioration. The MUC-M20BL1 and MUC-M12SM1 Sony cables similarly utilize the Silver-coated OFC and Multi-gauge conductor structure – but differentiate themselves through the use of a Star Quad cable structure. By applying a twisted 4-pole structure, the magnetic flux caused by signal current is cancelled and the current noise influence from outside is reduced, resulting in a rich, stable sound that reproduces the air of the original recorded atmosphere. MUC-S cables are designed for the MDR-1A and the MUC-M cables are designed for XBA-Z5.

According to this the cables are silver coated OFC.

Yes, it's my understanding that the stock cable for the Z7 is silver plated copper.
However, it's my further understanding that the Kimber Kable for the Z7 (MUC-B20BL1) is 
"plain" OFC copper, not silver plated.
http://store.sony.com/high-performance-balanced-audio-cable-for-mdr-z7-zid27-MUCB20BL1/cat-27-catid-All-Portable-Audio-Cables

I just bought the Kimber Kable from Sony, and I'm very much looking forward to hearing 
an improvement in sound quality. (If not, they have a 30 day money back guarantee.)

May 13, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #4,974 of 9,173
  I went with the Kimber unbalanced cable, as I've not picked up a PHA3 yet.  There was a noticeable difference in sound quality.  It wasn't huge, but I definitely don't have to turn my ZX1 up as much with the Z7s as I did with the stock cables.  Some of that might be from the stock cable being stupidly long, which was a main reason I looked for swapping it out.  I mostly listen to mine at my desk at work, and I was rolling my chair over the stock cable.

Once I get a PHA3, I'll probably get the Kimber balanced cables too.  I've been pleased with the ones I have, so far.

The PHA 3/Z7 combo balanced is sublime.

May 13, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #4,975 of 9,173
  Yes. 

I completely agree with you Kerouac. 

I have the 1.2m version - I chose this option since I do not have any balanced output on my dac.

It is pain to adjust the cable since it is too stiff. 

While it is well built - yeah people always ask what kind of geeky thing is that cable.. lol

The thing is that I was intending to use Z7 as a portable can as well but after spending time with Z7 outside, there are just too much hazard and it is indeed getting hot.. 

I only use Z7 while I am on my desktop and also while using them when I have to sit down for long time. (In library, long ride of car)

However, I don't think it is so bad that I would consider selling the cable. 

Not to mention they are really big and you can be seen by members of the opposite sex. Just sayin.

May 13, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #4,976 of 9,173
May 13, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #4,977 of 9,173

Additionally, Sony is introducing the MUC-S20BL1, MUC-S30UM1 and MUC-S12SM1 cables all use a multi-gauge conductor and twisted pair cable structure which twist hot and cold signal lines with each other, resulting in a reduced loss of signal transmission. The influence of the current noise caused by external magnetic fluxes that go through the cable is also reduced through this twisted pair structure, resulting in High-Resolution sound with a sense of presence. These Sony cables utilize a 2-layer conductor composed of silver-coated OFC (Oxygen Free Copper), resulting in smooth high note frequency reproduction that minimizes signal transmission loss

Yes, it's my understanding that the stock cable for the Z7 is silver plated copper.
However, it's my further understanding that the Kimber Kable for the Z7 (MUC-B20BL1) is 

http://store.sony.com/high-performance-balanced-audio-cable-for-mdr-z7-zid27-MUCB20BL1/cat-27-catid-All-Portable-Audio-Cables

I just bought the Kimber Kable from Sony, and I'm very much looking forward to hearing 
an improvement in sound quality. (If not, they have a 30 day money back guarantee.)

The Sony site says copper, but the PR materials say silver coated copper. I have emailed Kimber Kable directly for a definitive answer.

May 13, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #4,978 of 9,173
May 13, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #4,979 of 9,173

I am sure that Kimbers are silver plated. Its just that they dont put that on the spec sheet since the term they use for the spec sheet is material of the cable. Meaning OFC.

Not to mention they are really big and you can be seen by members of the opposite sex. Just sayin.

Oh yeah :grin:

The Sony site says copper, but the PR materials say silver coated copper. I have emailed Kimber Kable directly for a definitive answer.

Sony's website says they are silver plated OFC but on the spec sheet on website and the manual in my kimber cable's box just says OFC.

May 13, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #4,980 of 9,173

You quoted me (just above) but interjected language into the quote without noting you did so.

Please edit the quote to return it as it was originally.

Thanks

Further, after reading your post, I'm confused as to whether the Kimber is or isn't silver plated.
Did you find a definitive answer to that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back