Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Dec 9, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #3,586 of 9,173
I think you should have a listen if possible. These have recessed treble compared to something like the AKG K7x line but are not as recessed as most bass oriented products I have heard including cheaper Sony headphone/IEM's. The treble in these also improved with use and the bass settled down as well.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind auditioning. Might see if I can find a shop that has them here and maybe take my SigDJs along to compare. Doubt I'll find a shop that has the Pandora Hope VI though!
EDIT: Actually Headphone Bar here in Vancouver stocks the Pandora's so they might have a test pair. They don't have the Z7s yet though it seems. They also have T5ps and Alpha Dogs which I'd be interested to try as well even though I know neither of those will fit my tastes long term.

Dec 9, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #3,587 of 9,173
To bad your not in Calgary, if you were we could set up a quick meet at a coffee shop or something, then you would get to hear a pair that has been used for a good 100+ hours.

Dec 9, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #3,588 of 9,173
Received the Z7 this evening. Attached in balanced mode to the PHA-3. Just tested with my iPad and iTunes from there, no high res files. Not a great initial impressione. Thin sound, but this is not the best chain.

Attached the PHA-3 to sleep on charger, removed the balanced cable from the Z7 and attached it to my Naim rig with some FLACs (Naim streamer +Headline+NAPSC).. and.. WOOW!

I think these cans are superb, I have to give time to it and let them burn-in a little bit and test carefully. Juicy sound, good gently treble. Will compare to my favorite cans soon (Fsotex TH-900 and Denon D5000 as closed cans.. but can compare also to my open Fidelio X2, Grado GS1000i, HD800 and my LCD-3). Will report soon.

I think Sony has made something different from the others, they started from scratch with something different in the competition. I'm not sure these will be the Sony flagship, perhaps a more expensive can will arrive next months.. but these seems quite interesting to me. Could become my definitive portable rig. Some I would like to test with these is comparing the PHA-3 and the Concero HP. 

Some days to play..
X.

Dec 9, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #3,590 of 9,173

Not sure what's going on in Perth but here in Sydney you can by these direct from Sony for 699 AUD. I tested them at the Sony stand at Westfield Parramatta.

That post was a while ago before their release in AU. They are going for $649 a few weeks ago when I auditioned them.

I ended up leaving the store without them as they were dissappointing compared to my LCD3s/HD800s and even my HiFiMan i400 sounded better (IMHO). I think they look and feel top shelf and really good and I so wanted to hand the cash over there and then but it is what it is and for the life of me I just couldn't get my head around the sound. Hopefully Sony will have another crack and keep the build quality and design and lift the SQ to the level of the other flagships and they will get my cash. I think if Sony knew their SQ was circa the other TOTL models they would have pitched the price point higher. So I understand and think the price point matches their SQ.

I think what threw me was the "Flagship" title and again I understand that some folks like them and wish them well its just they wouldn't get much air time with me 
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 9, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #3,591 of 9,173

That post was a while ago before their release in AU. They are going for $649 a few weeks ago when I auditioned them.

I ended up leaving the store without them as they were dissappointing compared to my LCD3s/HD800s and even my HiFiMan i400 sounded better (IMHO). I think they look and feel top shelf and really good and I so wanted to hand the cash over there and then but it is what it is and for the life of me I just couldn't get my head around the sound. Hopefully Sony will have another crack and keep the build quality and design and lift the SQ to the level of the other flagships and they will get my cash. I think if Sony knew their SQ was circa the other TOTL models they would have pitched the price point higher. So I understand and think the price point matches their SQ.

I think what threw me was the "Flagship" title and again I understand that some folks like them and wish them well its just they wouldn't get much air time with me 
bigsmile_face.gif

I had a very similar experience. I was excited to test them and I was super impressed with the build quality and the super light weight. However, the sound was too sterile, too unengaging. It just doesn't compete with my favourite portables (PSB M4U2).

Dec 9, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #3,592 of 9,173
I do have one Sony headphones in my collection, and they are my absoulte favourites for movies and TV at home: The old and unique F1. A real gem of a headphone 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 10, 2014 at 6:56 AM Post #3,596 of 9,173
  I must admit a bit of fanboy-ism on my part, I had to have them Day 1.
Truth of the matter is, not a single SONY product of mine over the years has broken.

Hell, I even bought these late 80's speakers second hand and still work like new.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b267/Mickice/DSC04271_zpsace1f6eb.jpg
(Made in Japan)

You'll have to back me up on this, but the Z7 has very special sonic qualities you won't find in a general pair of headphones?

These are really cool speakers, how do they sound? They remind of those fancy Sony cassette, CD, and MD players from the 1990's. There is certainly something special about Made in Japan !!!

Dec 10, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #3,598 of 9,173
I love my Z7's...the construction is A-1 and the sound is very good but not spectacular...I find the lows in particular can be a bit sloppy and I like my bass deep and tight.  As for the sound, I am prefering my HD 650's....the Z7's far outweigh the 650's in construction and comfort.  Took me a while to get used to / burn in the 650's.  I also needed to adjust the headband to avoid the kung-fu grip on my big head.  

I've got 4 sets of cans at my reach (not counting IEM's) including the Z7's and HD 700's, and the ones that make me smile the most these days are the 650's.  The most comfortable are either the Z7's or the HD 700's.

HS

Dec 10, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #3,599 of 9,173
Are the Z7 more liquid sounding than the HD650? How do the vocals sound compared to them also?

I love my Z7's...the construction is A-1 and the sound is very good but not spectacular...I find the lows in particular can be a bit sloppy and I like my bass deep and tight.  As for the sound, I am prefering my HD 650's....the Z7's far outweigh the 650's in construction and comfort.  Took me a while to get used to / burn in the 650's.  I also needed to adjust the headband to avoid the kung-fu grip on my big head.  

I've got 4 sets of cans at my reach (not counting IEM's) including the Z7's and HD 700's, and the ones that make me smile the most these days are the 650's.  The most comfortable are either the Z7's or the HD 700's.

HS

Would concur with HemiSam. I didn't feel the Z7 would overall beat out the 650. the 650 just 'breathes' vocals and mid-range instrumentation. 

With regards to comfort, I felt the Z7 was on par (in more ways than one) with my AH-D600 The D600 is like a velvety glove while my 650s were like a clampy vice.

Recently, with the 650, I fully extending the arms, and using careful flexing of the band on each side (as described in another head-fi thread), roughly about 60 times on each side, the 650 is among the comfiest headphones I've owned. I know, 'bending a headphone' sounds awful, but it is much simpler and safer then it sounds, as you are only flexing the metal band, and not the plastic portions. 

Bottom-line transducer in the 650 is still stellar. The Z7 is something different entirely, and if I didn't have my D600 I'd be drawn to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back