Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Nov 4, 2014 at 6:25 AM Post #2,912 of 9,173
Fantastic I live 15mins away from parramatta westfield! I need to go very soon.

Nov 4, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #2,913 of 9,173
Not that anyone would care, but in Thailand, the Z7 is around about the $799 US price, but it comes with a Kimber cable (single ended) for free. Which is nice. Might go pick them up tomorrow…. May be...

Nov 4, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #2,914 of 9,173

FWIW even though Price japan is back ordered, the price dropped. 

If they don't have it in stock, of course, their price could very well be zero.
Because what difference does price make in that situation?

:blink:

You pay the low price and they ship to you when they have it in stock pre order fashion. Like amazon "buy now and we will ship when we have it in stock"

Price makes a difference to the buyers budget. I just put it out there incase someone was willing to wait.

Nov 4, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #2,915 of 9,173
Will have a 'review sample' of these some time tomorrow. Impressions will follow.

Nov 4, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #2,916 of 9,173
Just got my Z7. After taking some time for brain burn in to settle these sound great. I am not good at descriptions so I'll just say that at times the mids do sound a bit recessed but cranking up the volume just a little alleviates that problem. Using my Fiio e17 on 12db gain average volume is always around 15-17 depending on what the song demands.

Over all I am quite impressed with all the genres I have thrown at it. Ambient, Folk, Rock, Prog, and Jazz all seem to do fine. The only time I can say I was disappointed with the Z7's was on Breathe from Dark Side of the Moon. I felt like the mid bass bled into the David Gilmours vocals a bit too much giving his voice a weird character. The rest of the album sounded superb though.

These are just some rough impressions from day one with the headphone off of cheap gear so take my impressions as you will.

Nov 4, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #2,917 of 9,173
I have been enjoying my Pink Floyd collection too. Gonna try Breathe and see how it sounds for me. I am enjoying these with Jazz, Classical, Folk, Celtic, acoustic, and country music so far.

As I type this I am using my Dell Venue 8 pro by itself and able to listen comfortably at only 25% volume so these are actually working well from a wide variety of sources.

I am really hoping I am not just having elevated honeymoon feelings but so far I am enjoying this headphone as much as anything I have tried in quite a while.

Btw I also have to listen at a bit louder volume to hit the sweet spot vocally and to a degree for cymbals as well but it is designed so well I am not experiencing ear fatigue while I am listening and I get to enjoy a bit of concert like experience.

Nov 4, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #2,918 of 9,173
Btw I also have to listen at a bit louder volume to hit the sweet spot vocally and to a degree for cymbals as well but it is designed so well I am not experiencing ear fatigue while I am listening and I get to enjoy a bit of concert like experience.

Yeah thats what I meant about the mids sounding a bit recessed at times but being fixed by increasing the volume a notch or two. This headphone is one that constantly has me adjusting the volume. Its very track dependent at least for me. I never feel like have to make it get too loud. I wouldn't really call it a negative but I can understand if some feel otherwise.

Maybe some simple mods or EQ could fix that anyways

Nov 4, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #2,920 of 9,173
I can see a great setup making these really shine but even with my most modest setups I am enjoying the heck out of the Z7

Nov 4, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #2,921 of 9,173
Could you guys mention what headphone background you're coming from when you describe the Z7? Getting wowed or not by the Z7 is different if you're coming from mid-fi versus if you're coming from top of the line cans.

Thanks

Edit: I just noticed that most of you already list your headphone collection in your profile or signature. I hadn't noticed because they don't come up on the Tapatalk forum app.

Nov 4, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #2,922 of 9,173
K712, Q701, SRH1540, HD600, Denon D7000

Nov 4, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #2,924 of 9,173
  finally got my paws on the Z7.  Listening to it right now.  This headphone needs a great amp to shine.

I wonder who makes great amps... 
biggrin.gif

Care to share some more impressions? You have a pretty kick-ass headphone selection to compare against.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back