Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Oct 31, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #2,776 of 9,173

Yeah, I was the one that posted that link. Still on backorder, which prompted me to e-mail them since Sony got out of backorder already and readily available for purchase
Kinda tempted to head to downtown Toronto to see if they have a demo to listen, but I kinda want to surprise myself. 

Excellent, I hadn't noticed that Sony was out of backorder, hopefully that a good sign. When NCIX had the special on Sony had been showing the expected shipping date as the 20th of October but when that date came they went to straight to backorder and all the estimates for the other new pieces got pushed out by quite a bit so I was a little disappointed. Hopefully them being in stock with Sony Canada means NCIX will have them very soon.

NCIX just sent me a reply, I find it stupid when he said pre-order when clearly it says product is available but not in stock. Completely different things.

" We had listed the item as pre-order and not in stock, once the release date was set we placed the order with Sony and we are currently waiting for the shipment to arrive. Once received we will be able to fulfill your order and mail out the item. 
Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns regarding this order or NCIX. 

Best regards, 
======================== 
Jonathan Hart 
NCIX.com "

Oct 31, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #2,777 of 9,173
I called Sony USA last week and told them that someone mentioned a 24% discount and the operator talked to his supervisor very briefly and offered me 20% offthe z7, free shipping and guaranteed to ship the next day.

Oct 31, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #2,780 of 9,173
Mine just shipped via fromjapan.co. They refused to cancel my order and are not the easiest to deal with (wouldn't recommend anyone order from them) but I did get in on a 15% off deal. Z7s came to 487 after shipping and nickel/dime fees. Hope no issues with delivery or function.

Link: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SonyMDRZ7.pdf

Oct 31, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #2,783 of 9,173
So I just verified that the 20% discount is legit for my self. Thank you DoctaCosmos
biggrin.gif

Oct 31, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #2,784 of 9,173
Quoting Tyll:

"Sony MDR-Z7 - I was hoping these would blow the doors off the expensive, sealed, over-ear headphone category, but it's not to be. I like them, quite a bit, they're competitive, but the bass is a tad loose and something's a little amiss elsewhere but haven't put my finger on it yet. On the other hand, they're drop-dead gorgeous, supremely comfortable, the Kimber-designed cables are lovely, and the companion PHA-3 amp/DAC is equally sexy. Have to do a lot more listening to know where all this stuff will end up, but SOny's new gear is definitely getting a review."

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelity-update-november-2014

Oct 31, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #2,785 of 9,173
I don't see anything too worrisome. What, in particular, do you refer to?

Well to me it looks like there is almost nothing at all above about 10,000hz which is pretty much exactly what we've been describing here. Above 1000Hz the average is nearly 15dB down. The bass is actually fairly flat but it's nearly all an average of +10dB or greater than the rest of the sound signature. Looks like it fairly accurately describes the sound to me.

Oct 31, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #2,787 of 9,173
Bass and treble roll off - it's a dynamic driver. Bass is somewhat flat until 30Hz, pretty good, I'd say. And you trust measurements above 10k? You shouldn't. Mids look like you'll either love them or hate them depending on how your hearing preferences and anatomy are arranged. I've heard similarly graphed phones in the mids and hated them, yet I love these. THD is slightly high, but again it's a mostly closed dynamic driver, and it's rather large driver. Distortion is going to be higher than average. If you go in expecting amazing measurements from a mostly closed dynamic driver, you expected incorrectly.

Oct 31, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #2,788 of 9,173
the hd800 is a dynamic driver too and it's fr and thd measurements are objectively better. it is what it is. how it sounds to you is another thing and if you love the sound then there's no need to try and defend the measurements.

Oct 31, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #2,790 of 9,173
I called Sony USA last week and told them that someone mentioned a 24% discount and the operator talked to his supervisor very briefly and offered me 20% offthe z7, free shipping and guaranteed to ship the next day.

Oh snap! Nice one

@DoctaCosmos
So did you finally bite :D 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back