Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Sep 12, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #722 of 9,173
  There kinda is, the schiity Hifiman HE 560 has a Veeneer Finish, which means it's some kinda of Non wood, with a thin layer of wood atop it. I say schiity cuz... It WAS FULL WOOD cups, but then they switch to the veeneer. Which is a smart move, cept now I have to hunt for a Pre Production full wood back model :[ 

Aesthetically it is kinda worse, but they did it because the old design had quality control issues with the wood not matching, cracking, and the driver was not held in as strongly. so the new design solves all those functionality issues, for the sake of worse appearances. Personally I dont care how a headphone looks, at least with these high end home use only types. because once its on your head, you cant even see it, and even if other people you show it to judge it badly, they wont care once they hear it. and if its comfy.

Sep 12, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #723 of 9,173
I'm very much looking forward to buying these,
and intend to do so as soon as they become available.

The last 3 Sony headphones I bought - the MDR Z1000, MDR 7520,
and MDR MA900 - were all winners in their respective price ranges,
as far as I was concerned.  I sold the 7520's, but I still have (and enjoy)
the 900's and 1000's.  Particularly the 1000's > With all the noise and
hype of different closed headphones of the past few years (excluding Fostex
and only a couple of others),  the Z1000's are still the best closed headphones
(and the most comfortable) I've heard overall.

Yes, IMO even better than the current FOTM the Viso HP50, for one example.

Sep 13, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #725 of 9,173
That's the bass port for "beats response control" or whatever in marketing gibberish.

The only question I have is whether there is sound leakage because of the port. I only want these if they don't disturb others in a reasonably quiet enviornement.

Sep 13, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #727 of 9,173
  Thanks.  didnt want to read the whole thread.   The wait is on then, hope more veteran members review these.

we all are waiting for reviews and things like impressions auditions .

Sep 13, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #728 of 9,173
  That's the bass port for "beats response control" or whatever in marketing gibberish.

The only question I have is whether there is sound leakage because of the port. I only want these if they don't disturb others in a reasonably quiet enviornement.

If the DR-Z7 is any indicator, it won't make a peep even at extreme volumes. 

Sep 13, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #731 of 9,173
  I'm very much looking forward to buying these,
and intend to do so as soon as they become available.

The last 3 Sony headphones I bought - the MDR Z1000, MDR 7520,
and MDR MA900 - were all winners in their respective price ranges,
as far as I was concerned.  I sold the 7520's, but I still have (and enjoy)
the 900's and 1000's.  Particularly the 1000's > With all the noise and
hype of different closed headphones of the past few years (excluding Fostex
and only a couple of others),  the Z1000's are still the best closed headphones
(and the most comfortable) I've heard overall.

Yes, IMO even better than the current FOTM the Viso HP50, for one example.

If you've made the decision to purchase already then i think you should get on the list at Amazon. They will not charge your credit card until it actually ships is my understanding.

Sep 13, 2014 at 3:21 AM Post #732 of 9,173

Aesthetically it is kinda worse, but they did it because the old design had quality control issues with the wood not matching, cracking, and the driver was not held in as strongly. so the new design solves all those functionality issues, for the sake of worse appearances. Personally I dont care how a headphone looks, at least with these high end home use only types. because once its on your head, you cant even see it, and even if other people you show it to judge it badly, they wont care once they hear it. and if its comfy.

I know, I heard the horror stories. 

What they should do is offer the Full Wood Version, with an upcharge and do it proper. 

Instead of making me pay some one else to make wood cups for it and then have it fitted :/ 

Sep 13, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #733 of 9,173
I know, I heard the horror stories. 

What they should do is offer the Full Wood Version, with an upcharge and do it proper. 

Instead of making me pay some one else to make wood cups for it and then have it fitted :/ 

Look if HiFiMAN can't do wood consistently, it's better then that they ain't doing it.
Pushing wood for reasons that seem a bit fetishist to me, no offense :D

Sep 13, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #735 of 9,173
  Has anyone with a large head tried these?  Every headphone I own needs to be fully extended for my great brain.  I wear size 8 baseball caps. peace

Has anyone tried these period?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back