Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Feb 27, 2023 at 9:49 PM Post #9,152 of 9,173
Just received my Z7 an hour ago... Joining you with the Inception OST šŸ˜†
That's fantastic! I moved on now to Person of Interest OST - Ramin Djawadi .. those cans are fantastic for all kinds of dramatic orchestral arrangements (what I tested so far, scared of what they can do with the bass in EDM, Disco, Techno ... )
I assume you got your Z7 used? May I ask in what condition and how much you paid ( feel free to DM :D )
Cheers

Feb 27, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #9,153 of 9,173
That's fantastic! I moved on now to Person of Interest OST - Ramin Djawadi .. those cans are fantastic for all kinds of dramatic orchestral arrangements (what I tested so far, scared of what they can do with the bass in EDM, Disco, Techno ... )
I assume you got your Z7 used? May I ask in what condition and how much you paid ( feel free to DM :D )
Cheers
Why So Serious from the Dark Knight OST. That low end at about 3:30 is sublime. Side by side with Z7M2 on some songs and there's no clear winner as of current as I only want to keep one (or at least that's the plan). Going through my entire library this week. So far Z7 is warmer than Z7M2 and as you noted, orchestral and classical arrangements are lovely. Max Richter catalogue is pure bliss. I've moved onto house music / EDM and yeah, it definitely hits different. I'll DM you.

Mar 18, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #9,155 of 9,173
So, I've recently discovered an incompatibility between my MDR-Z7s and my Questyle M15 dongle DAC. Strangely, I get distortion when listening through the 4.4mm balanced output, but no problems through the single-ended 3.5mm. I've even tried multiple different 4.4mm balanced cables. I even got a replacement M15 and still distortion listening through the balanced output. Could it be some kind of impedance mismatch? Supposedly, the m15 can drive 600 ohm Beyers and 300 ohm Sennheisers. Surely, the z7s can't be too power hungry. Also, 4.4mm balanced output with my Meze Rai Penta IEMs is just fine. Any thoughts?

Mar 18, 2023 at 8:03 PM Post #9,156 of 9,173
So, I've recently discovered an incompatibility between my MDR-Z7s and my Questyle M15 dongle DAC. Strangely, I get distortion when listening through the 4.4mm balanced output, but no problems through the single-ended 3.5mm. I've even tried multiple different 4.4mm balanced cables. I even got a replacement M15 and still distortion listening through the balanced output. Could it be some kind of impedance mismatch? Supposedly, the m15 can drive 600 ohm Beyers and 300 ohm Sennheisers. Surely, the z7s can't be too power hungry. Also, 4.4mm balanced output with my Meze Rai Penta IEMs is just fine. Any thoughts?
What kind of distortion? Crossover feedback? Noise?
Also, do you get distortion on your Z7s with any other audio source?

Mar 18, 2023 at 9:00 PM Post #9,157 of 9,173
What kind of distortion? Crossover feedback? Noise?
Also, do you get distortion on your Z7s with any other audio source?
Z7s work perfectly with other sources and with the m15 3.5 mm single ended. The distortion sounds like clipping and gets worse with dynamic swings. Sound just breaks up like an overdriven or blown loudspeaker if youā€™ve ever heard thatā€¦

Mar 19, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #9,158 of 9,173
Z7s work perfectly with other sources and with the m15 3.5 mm single ended. The distortion sounds like clipping and gets worse with dynamic swings. Sound just breaks up like an overdriven or blown loudspeaker if youā€™ve ever heard thatā€¦
Could it be that the cable is shorting out? If the source works fine with other 4.4mm cans thatā€™d be my guess. Iā€™ve only heard the Z7 out of the 4.4mm socket on Sonyā€™s Walkmans and so far no issues

Mar 19, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #9,159 of 9,173
Could it be that the cable is shorting out? If the source works fine with other 4.4mm cans thatā€™d be my guess. Iā€™ve only heard the Z7 out of the 4.4mm socket on Sonyā€™s Walkmans and so far no issues
Thatā€™s what I initially thought. So I ended up buying another 4.4mm balanced cable and experienced the same problem. That being said, both were from AliExpress, so you never knowā€¦

Mar 19, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #9,160 of 9,173
I had issues with some 4.4mm cables, one didnā€™t output any sound and the other only ā€œworkedā€ if I didnā€™t insert the plugs into the Z7 all the way in. Are you sure the cable is 100% compatible? Because there are other cans with dual 3.5mm plugs that look like they can use the same cable as the Z7 but they donā€™t actually work with them and viceversa

Mar 19, 2023 at 11:48 PM Post #9,161 of 9,173
Welp, guess I should find a quality compatible 4.4mm balanced cable for the z7s. Anyone have any recommendations?

Mar 22, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #9,162 of 9,173
Hey, can anyone recommend a quality but not too expensive 4.4mm balanced cable for the MDR-z7?

Mar 23, 2023 at 7:20 AM Post #9,164 of 9,173

Users who are viewing this thread

Back