Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Nov 10, 2022 at 1:37 AM Post #9,136 of 9,173
I'm one of those weirdos that have great comfort with Sony's "thumbs ticks into your ear design" actually, I'm often forget that my Ex800st and XBA A3 are even inside my ears.
They are more comfortable than the Z1R for me.

Yeah man, I must say, if you like gaming, mostly watch content in a dark room and often consumes Netflix or other streaming services that support Dolby Vision/ HDR 10+, it's a worthy purchase. True HDR is something else.
Got the 48inch C1 for 820usd and it's well worth it. 😀 it's often the case for older TV to fall into their lowest price at 10-18 months after it's released thus why I snagged it.
So do you use the rubberized cables too, that graced them upon invention?

Nov 10, 2022 at 1:43 AM Post #9,137 of 9,173
Yeah, actually that's the most comfortable one. It broke on me tho, so I replaced it with a DIY ones, I picked XBA A3/Z5 specced Mmcx which has the same stopper to prevent it from spinning and it fits the same way as stock.

Nov 10, 2022 at 2:01 AM Post #9,138 of 9,173
Yeah, actually that's the most comfortable one. It broke on me tho, so I replaced it with a DIY ones, I picked XBA A3/Z5 specced Mmcx which has the same stopper to prevent it from spinning and it fits the same way as stock.
Amazing!

Nov 10, 2022 at 3:59 AM Post #9,139 of 9,173
I forgot to add to my post above about the new cable I bought:
Fed up with wrangling the Sony Kimber I thought I'll go with the stock cable, thinking it was 4.4mm, so got the ladder out and went into my roof space where I store boxes/packaging etc, got down and realised that the Z7M2 and Z1R had the 4.4mm and not the earlier Z7 :scream: That's why I had to buy the 3rd party one.

They really aced the MDR-Z headphone design but as much as I loved the XBA era, they were never a solid fit. I have my eye on an old Z5 someone's selling locally but have to remind myself not to go there again.

Nov 10, 2022 at 4:01 AM Post #9,140 of 9,173
I forgot to add to my post above about the new cable I bought:
Fed up with wrangling the Sony Kimber I thought I'll go with the stock cable, thinking it was 4.4mm, so got the ladder out and went into my roof space where I store boxes/packaging etc, got down and realised that the Z7M2 and Z1R had the 4.4mm and not the earlier Z7 :scream: That's why I had to buy the 3rd party one.

They really aced the MDR-Z headphone design but as much as I loved the XBA era, they were never a solid fit. I have my eye on an old Z5 someone's selling locally but have to remind myself not to go there again.
But...the Z7 also has the 2X 3.5mm balanced, which was balanced before 4.4mm. The TA has the 2X 3.5mm output.

Nov 10, 2022 at 4:10 AM Post #9,141 of 9,173
But...the Z7 also has the 2X 3.5mm balanced, which was balanced before 4.4mm. The TA has the 2X 3.5mm output.
Yes, which is a bonus of the TA but I, again for convenience, use my BTR7 4.4mm output.

Nov 28, 2022 at 8:43 AM Post #9,142 of 9,173
Actually I wonder, I haven't tried using 2 3 pin aux cable of the same length to use the bal out of the TA... Will it work?
It's not like I need to as I still uses my Z7's dual 3.5 for MY Z1R balance use but just curious 🤔

Nov 28, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #9,143 of 9,173
Actually I wonder, I haven't tried using 2 3 pin aux cable of the same length to use the bal out of the TA... Will it work?
It's not like I need to as I still uses my Z7's dual 3.5 for MY Z1R balance use but just curious 🤔
Technically it should work? I wonder if headphone cable specs differ from aux cables and factors like impedance and structure (litz etc) may have a big part to play?

Nov 30, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #9,144 of 9,173
Will try sometime in the future but if it does work, kinda make the jack the cheapest way to play Balance out? Just find 2 aux cable and go 🤔

Feb 27, 2023 at 2:55 AM Post #9,145 of 9,173
This is a great time to order genuine OEM replacement ear cushions for the Z7 from Japan. The Japanese Yen has been in free fall for several months and now trades at levels not seen in nearly 20 years. I was able to order a pair for about $60 including shipping through ZenMarket. The price for the ear cushions has increased for the first time in several years due to the inflation issue but the falling Yen has muted the impact. Don't bother with the knock-off cushions that come out of China. Those are junk and non-OEM cushions adversely impact the sound.

Where exactly did you order from? Link? Thank You
(was it e-earphone? I see them there for 4550Y PER SIDE! ... so 9100Y the pair .. that's more than I paid for my Hifiman HE400SE :D )

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2023 at 5:29 AM Post #9,146 of 9,173
I’ve lately been using my Z7’s a lot with the Cypher labs Algorithm trio Portable vacuum tube amp and the KANN max DAP used in line out mode on (super gain).
The results are wonderful and for the 8 years that I’ve had the Z7 I’ve never had them sounding this good synergistically.
Patience has been everything with this headphone for me. I contemplated selling them many many times, but now I feel very grounded with them.
Not only that, they are still one thee most comfortable headphones I’ve ever put on my head. :)

Feb 27, 2023 at 5:58 AM Post #9,147 of 9,173
I am about to join the club! The MDR-Z7 are in the mail and should be here tomorrow.
I think I got a pretty good deal on a used pair, but it comes without ear pads ... and I am just flipping through here and following the whole discussion on OEM vs. cheaper China wares ... I am really not mentally prepared to pay the equivalent of 70USD for a set of pads (then again, I have in the past paid over 70$ for cables :D )
So, besides OEM, any recent recommendation for any pads from aliexpress? Can't find the ones Kith86 pointed towards in a post from ... 11/20 .. that;s a while ago ... anyways .. excited to get my new baby ...

Feb 27, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #9,148 of 9,173
Where exactly did you order from? Link? Thank You
(was it e-earphone? I see them there for 4550Y PER SIDE! ... so 9100Y the pair .. that's more than I paid for my Hifiman HE400SE :D )

What you need to do is search Sony Encompass for the part numbers. Each ear pad, left and right, have a unique part number. In recent years Sony discontinued the original ear cushion parts and reissued new part numbers. Sony Encompass will have the new numbers. Then you have to do some more digging on Google to find retailers that sell these two OEM ear parts. Most likely the retailer will be based in Japan. These retailers only ship domestically, not internationally. So you will need to tap a Japanese proxy service to order the parts on your behalf and then ship them onward to your foreign address. You will be charged fees for the service the proxy provides in addition to the cost of the pads and the usually high cost of international expedited air shipping.

Alternatively, you can roll the dice on a pair of aftermarket ear pads. Most of these are made in China and are inexpensive. I never tried a pair [for the Z7]. Quality tends to vary and usually any aftermarket ear pad will alter the stock sound of a headphone. I prefer OEM pads when they're available regardless of cost.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2023 at 8:01 PM Post #9,149 of 9,173
What you need to do is search Sony Encompass for the part numbers. Each ear pad, left and right, have a unique part number. In recent years Sony discontinued the original ear cushion parts and reissued new part numbers. Sony Encompass will have the new numbers. Then you have to do some more digging on Google to find retailers that sell these two OEM ear parts. Most likely the retailer will be based in Japan. These retailers only ship domestically, not internationally. So you will need to tap a Japanese proxy service to order the parts on your behalf and then ship them onward to your foreign address. You will be charged fees for the service the proxy provides in addition to the cost of the pads and the usually high cost of international expedited air shipping.

Alternatively, you can roll the dice on a pair of aftermarket ear pads. Most of these are made in China and are inexpensive. I never tried a pair [for the Z7]. Quality tends to vary and usually any aftermarket ear pad will alter the stock sound of a headphone. I prefer OEM pads when they're available regardless of cost.
Thanks for the detailed response! I do have one tiny advantage: I am in Japan :) so, no proxy shipping magic needed. And I think I found the OEM at some reputable (and official Sony licensed) shop ... just the price is .. well .. we shall see ..
In the meantime the Z7 arrived and I was positively surprised that (for the meantime) those ear pad mounting rings have pretty much the same diameter as my Hifiman's, so for now I am trying some of those pads that I have around here (velour angled focus pads, sweet!) . Just for now to check if those used cans actually work .. and BOY do they work! I am not getting a super seal with the current pads, so they feel a bit more open than I think they are supposed to be, but still .. impressive!

One odd thing .. I tried using my Hifiman's balanced cable .. since they are also 2x3.5 connector on the headphone side, just lacking the screwy thing ... and I get no sound .. so far only with the original cable .. is there any voodoo inside those tiny screwy things? (just tested with the balanced cable of my Meze 99 classics .. that cable works! So, I am all set ... :)

Thanks again

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back