Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Nov 3, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #2,896 of 9,173
I am preparing to sell off some gear but before I do I will do an A/B/C/D/E/F comparison to help try and give everyone an idea of what to expect from the Z7.

I will use the following 3 songs:

Patricia Barber - Scream
Arvo Part Symphony No 3.
Mumford and Sons - Babel

This give a good cross section of music that should put the headphones through their paces and are songs I am familiar enough with that I can dissect them fairly well.

I will use the following headphones:

Z7
MDR10R
AKG K545
NAD HP50
K712 Pro
Q701

I might add more but will have to see what my time is like. I will just add to this post as I do the comparisons and expect it to take a few days to be finished as it is in the middle of the work week.

Nov 3, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #2,897 of 9,173
  I will use the following 3 songs:

Patricia Barber - Scream
Arvo Part Symphony No 3.
Mumford and Sons - Babel

This give a good cross section of music that should put the headphones through their paces and are songs I am familiar enough with that I can dissect them fairly well.

How about something from Queen, the Beatles, Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, or metal?

Thanks

Nov 3, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #2,898 of 9,173
To many songs plus I don't have several of those bands. I can do a Queen tune and one Led Zeppelin tune though but again only if I can fit them in.

Nov 3, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #2,899 of 9,173
  I'm curious what you guys think are the competing headphones in this class?

Fostex 600 and 900, T1, Alpha Prime/Dog. What else that sounds really good between $500 and $1000 circumaural, sealed.

When I got back from the shop, the AD's were the first cans I slapped on my head hoping to compare them. The main difference between the two for me is that they AD's sound more boxy but with a better, more defined bass. But then again, while the Z7 was driven by the PHA-3, the AD was driven by a mjolnir. Plus i don't think my memory is that great. It was a 1 hour drive so it was a bit of a fail.

Although I've never tried them, the TH600 is something I'm considering as an alternative. However, the non-detatchable cable is something I don't appreciate for a number of reasons. The HD700 I listened to a while ago and wasn't really a fan but I guess some people like it. A whole bunch of Grados are around this point and some folks like them.

The one pair of cans that haven't reached these shores are the Oppo PM-2… from reviews, these sound interesting...

Actually Tyll, could you do a Z7, PM-2 and TH600 shoot-out? Would be interesting….

Nov 3, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #2,900 of 9,173
I have now used 3 different amps with the Z7 and they have worked well with all 3. My RW Audio Amp1 sounds the cleanest, the Ocean Bravo Tube amp has a nice mid midrange centric sound without coming across as to warm and the Cayin C5 offering a nice added kick and 3D presentation when paired with my LG G3. So I would say the Z7 seems to play well with a good variety of sources. Actually I didn't even mind the Z7 straight from my LG G3, I had to crank the volume but it still sounded very good. My last audition was actually only my LG G3 and the Z7 as I wanted to put it in the worst position I could to see how it handled it and was pleasantly surprised.

Nov 4, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #2,901 of 9,173
The Z7 is so Denon/Fostex like to me........

Just came back from the store and this time they had it connected to Sony's new High Definition DAP and the PHA-3. Now the set up could have been better, as they didn't have the PHA-3 digitally connected to the DAP. I also was not running balanced out of the PHA-3.

The Z7 did sound quite good right out of the DAP itself.

Last time I brought a pair of MDR-7550s to compare. and this time I had a set of Denon AH-D600s with aftermarket cables (nothing high end).

Both the Denon and the Sony were equally impressive from a soundstage perspective. I felt the Denon had a bit more snap to the bass, and hit just as low, perhaps was even more controlled. The Z7 had a different balance but the signatures were quite similar. The D600 was a bit brighter/splashier on the highs, and with Z7 I could turn the volume up more to get a more involved presentation which I liked.

I tried a range of Lossless recordings from jazz, classical to electronic. For me, these just aren't a leap from the D600, and are more related in overall character.

Nov 4, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #2,902 of 9,173

Fostex 600 and 900, T1, Alpha Prime/Dog. What else that sounds really good between $500 and $1000 circumaural, sealed.

If you are thinking of the comparison section for a innerfidelity review then depends who the target reader is. Fostex, Denon et al is the safe middle ground. MrSpeakers is lurching to the niche of the niche enthusiast site. Hmm...

Nov 4, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #2,903 of 9,173
Just tried a song by Beckah Shae called Rest and holy moly does it ever sound good :)

Also had great fun listening the 2 Cellos version of Thunderstruck :)

All my Pink Floyd is also sounding extra good too :)

Nov 4, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #2,904 of 9,173

Any chance you could throw in one or two open headphones? Wink wink HE-500 and HE-560 :wink:

Nov 4, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #2,906 of 9,173
Sony Australia called me saying they got stock in.

Will check it out Thursday.

It needs to best the MDR-V6 for me.

$799 Sony Australia
$609 Price Japan shipped

Hmm. Price difference is so big I could buy a backup V6, lol.

Nov 4, 2014 at 3:21 AM Post #2,907 of 9,173
hope that have both Z7 and Z5 in Sydney to try out.

Nov 4, 2014 at 3:36 AM Post #2,908 of 9,173
Where can you try out the Z7s in Sydney ?

Nov 4, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #2,909 of 9,173
Z7 should have a display model at Parramatta Westfield. Chatswood also has a store, you could visit them.

I believe they have 1 in stock too.

I'll go listen to it on Thursday with my Walkman A15 flac + PHA-1 combo.
Maybe rock that Boston track they were denoting with in the US.

Nov 4, 2014 at 6:17 AM Post #2,910 of 9,173
Z7 should have a display model at Parramatta Westfield. Chatswood also has a store, you could visit them.

I believe they have 1 in stock too.

I'll go listen to it on Thursday with my Walkman A15 flac + PHA-1 combo.
Maybe rock that Boston track they were denoting with in the US.

Thanks mate

Users who are viewing this thread

Back