Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Nov 22, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #5,101 of 5,804
The IER-Z1R can fit some people though.
I don't have issues with fit. It fits fine and good isolation. Problem is the comfort; One hr and my ear starts paining. I keep going back to the Atlas for this reason alone.

Nov 22, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #5,102 of 5,804
I don't have issues with fit. It fits fine and good isolation. Problem is the comfort; One hr and my ear starts paining. I keep going back to the Atlas for this reason alone.

That’s what I meant by fit/comfort. Though there have been folks that described that specific phenomenon and said after a while it goes away, like a secondary adjustment period? It may have simply resulted with more use for them?

Nov 22, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #5,103 of 5,804
That’s what I meant by fit/comfort. Though there have been folks that described that specific phenomenon and said after a while it goes away, like a secondary adjustment period? It may have simply resulted with more use for them?
Hahaha, I only have 2 ears and I don't want to take this risk :wink:

Nov 22, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #5,104 of 5,804
I have noticed some pretty deep red marks with the prolonged use of Atlas. I will see if IER-Z1R does the same, whether it's really pressing against the antitragus/tragus and if that can cause any damage to the ear.

Nov 22, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #5,105 of 5,804
I have noticed some pretty deep red marks with the prolonged use of Atlas. I will see if IER-Z1R does the same, whether it's really pressing against the antitragus/tragus and if that can cause any damage to the ear.

Yes, I’m not trying to give advice only that it’s been documented to be an issue for some in the IER-Z1R thread. If your issue is exactly the same....who knows? Ears and fit are one of the most confusing and personal things with IEMs. Basically everyone is different. Good luck.

Nov 22, 2019 at 5:11 PM Post #5,106 of 5,804
If comfort is what you seek, stay away from the IER-Z1R. Though it has the best sound money can buy.

The Z1R’s are actually more comfortable and fit me better than Z5. I find the Z5’s pretty comfortable but I struggle maintaining the seal and have to adjust them regularly, compared to the Z1R that never move and I can listen to for hours without adjusting.

As @Redcarmoose said, everyone’s ears are different.

Nov 23, 2019 at 3:33 AM Post #5,107 of 5,804
The Z1R’s are actually more comfortable and fit me better than Z5. I find the Z5’s pretty comfortable but I struggle maintaining the seal and have to adjust them regularly, compared to the Z1R that never move and I can listen to for hours without adjusting.

As @Redcarmoose said, everyone’s ears are different.
ditto

Nov 23, 2019 at 4:47 AM Post #5,108 of 5,804
Any reason to buy these if you own the N3 and use them with the 4.4mm Kimber cable? Paired with WM1A

Jan 3, 2020 at 2:52 AM Post #5,114 of 5,804
Any reason to buy these if you own the N3 and use them with the 4.4mm Kimber cable? Paired with WM1A
I recently bought the N3 (second hand) because I missed the Sony hybrid sound. I used to own the Z5 and would have happily retired with them if it weren't for the struggle I had with the fit.
The N3 are excellent, and although I never A-Bed them and wouldn't be able to tell you exact details from memory the Z5 are really special and scale very well with good sources. I really miss the sound, but I don't miss the fit issues. The N3 give me a satisfactory amount of pleasure, but the Z5 took me to the moon

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2020 at 3:56 AM Post #5,115 of 5,804
I recently bought the N3 (second hand) because I missed the Sony hybrid sound. I used to own the Z5 and would have happily retired with them if it weren't for the struggle I had with the fit.
The N3 are excellent, and although I never A-Bed them and wouldn't be able to tell you exact details from memory the Z5 are really special and scale very well with good sources. I really miss the sound, but I don't miss the fit issues. The N3 give me a satisfactory amount of pleasure, but the Z5 took me to the moon
Z5 sound with N3 fit would have been ideal. Maybe at the next release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back