Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Oct 26, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #3,661 of 5,804
How do you compare the z5 with ie800 and some fullsize headphone like hd650?

Would love to know vs. IE800 too. Love my Z5, but looking for something more portable to complement them. IE800 looks like the best bet so far.

Off topic: loving my XBA-300 very much.

-Collin-

Oct 26, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #3,665 of 5,804
to the TROLL who is saying i post pointless posts i was saying the Z5 soun as Good as a pair of bookshelf/floor-standing speakers so to get an idea of the SQ these tiny IEMs can produce

Oct 26, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #3,666 of 5,804
Apologies if this has been asked already, anyone know if you can get an in line mic cable for the Z5? Mine didn't come with one but my A3 did, unfortunately I sold the A3 and the cable before I realised. 

Oct 26, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #3,667 of 5,804
  Apologies if this has been asked already, anyone know if you can get an in line mic cable for the Z5? Mine didn't come with one but my A3 did, unfortunately I sold the A3 and the cable before I realised. 

i also sold my A3 and had the same problem now that i need a mic for an online training course 
evil_smiley.gif
, maybe you can look in ebay

Oct 26, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #3,668 of 5,804

When I get home, I'll try my MEE Audio MMCX cable with inline mic and see if it works. I too was surprised that my A3 came with one and my Z5 didn't. If the MEE Audio one works I think it was about $30 on Amazon. 

-Collin-

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #3,672 of 5,804
Really looking to your next post on this, I am after that particular cable too
biggrin.gif

Good news: it works just fine. As you know, it's a soft cable with no memory wire, so it will be personal preference for fitment, but I strongly prefer soft wires with no "hooks" or memory wire and now I'm excited to report that I will use my LZ-A3 cable (that cost all of $15 or so) with my Z5. Sounds great so far!

A few photos for you: 

Hope this helps, 

-Collin-

Edit: I notice slightly reduced bass with these two cables. So, keep that in mind if you are a total basshead. It's slight, but noticeable. 

Oct 27, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #3,673 of 5,804

Really looking to your next post on this, I am after that particular cable too
biggrin.gif

Good news: it works just fine. As you know, it's a soft cable with no memory wire, so it will be personal preference for fitment, but I strongly prefer soft wires with no "hooks" or memory wire and now I'm excited to report that I will use my LZ-A3 cable (that cost all of $15 or so) with my Z5. Sounds great so far!

A few photos for you: 

Hope this helps, 

-Collin-

Edit: I notice slightly reduced bass with these two cables. So, keep that in mind if you are a total basshead. It's slight, but noticeable. 

very nice cables

Oct 28, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #3,675 of 5,804

as you like, but Z5 excellent headphones that I had to listen to.

They are good, but was looking for better seal and next level of sound. Can't listen properly even with just a small fan in front of me, or while taking a train. Only in a quiet room can I hear small subtle difference of the Z5 vs my B&O H3 IEM, which is not what I would like to use the IEM for.

JH has improved their top end alot, much better than my JH16pro, and much much better than my Z5 obviously.

BTW, the B&O H3 anc is designed with a 10.8mm dynamic drivers, and it has very very similar sounding as the Z5. Under usual environment, I can't tell a difference between both.

The Z5's were designed to be used at home in a quiet environment paired in the recommended balanced configuration with the PHA-3. 

They are probably the WORST IEMs one can use for portable. Microphonics, wind noise, and little to no isolation is just a start. 

That said, the Z5's have relegated my HD800s to 2nd position when I'm at home. That is until I find a better amp for the Senns haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back