Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Aug 26, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #2,146 of 5,804
I had my first pair fail so they are a bit fragile. BUT I also used a non Sony cable on that pair so the MMCX connection would spin which I think caused the failure. On my new pair I only use Sony cables that have the design to stop the IEM shell from spinning at the connection plus I don't disconnect unless I really have to and so far they have held up admirably. They have more give in the connection as time has gone on but nothing that has caused actual connection issues.

Aug 26, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #2,147 of 5,804
Well that makes sense. Awesome!

If there isn't a new flagship I might go spend-crazy and import the A3s as well; paired with the Bluetooth cable I can assume they'd make some awesome wireless headphones for on the go.

Aug 26, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #2,148 of 5,804
Call me crazy, but for me the Z5 is as close to a 5/5 IEM I have heard. I have tried a few other IEMs since I got these and none have measured up. Now I have to admit none are as expensive so in theory shouldn't match up but I have also owned several IEMs in the $400 plus range in the past and none of them have made me as happy as the Z5 either. It is not a perfect IEM but for my purposes and sonic preference it is darned close. Most complaints about it sonically are from people who prefer a more neutral sound or people who want Sony to create a sonic signature the same as some Sony product from the past instead of accepting the Z5 for what it is.

Aug 26, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #2,149 of 5,804
My preference is constantly changing anyway. The EX1000s were the first set that made me go "woah," though; it'd be cool to feel that again with the Z5s.

I've heard from one person IRL and read here a few times that the Z5s are certainly a unique earphone, and there's something about them that keeps people coming back. I feel almost obligated to get in on it.

Aug 26, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #2,150 of 5,804
Finally got the apogee groove loaner unit in just now.

WOW.

Z5 + Apogee groove is a notceable upgrade over onboard audio, SMSL M2 and E17. @HiFiGuy528  Thank you so much for the combination! Jeez you weren't kidding, I haven't heard the Z5 like this before

Aug 27, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #2,151 of 5,804
Hey guys 

Does any one know a good memory wire one can buy is a short spool or pack online?

I love the upgrade cable for the z5 but the lack of a memory wire on it in fact makes them less comfortable. They stick out a good bit and the std cable ear hooks do help a lot in keeping the z5 is a straight line into the ear. Without that they sit a bit awkwardly and are uncomfortable. 

Thanks! 
Dan 

Aug 27, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #2,152 of 5,804
  Hey guys 

Does any one know a good memory wire one can buy is a short spool or pack online?

I love the upgrade cable for the z5 but the lack of a memory wire on it in fact makes them less comfortable. They stick out a good bit and the std cable ear hooks do help a lot in keeping the z5 is a straight line into the ear. Without that they sit a bit awkwardly and are uncomfortable. 

Thanks! 
Dan 

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=memory+wire
They also sell some on Amazon.

Aug 27, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #2,154 of 5,804
  That wasn't very helpful. Spools of metal bracelet wire just. I am looking for clear plastic housing I can slit and place over the iem cable .. like on most ciems 

Sorry, not too sure what you mean by that (never really seen or used a ciem before), but maybe the Meelectronics cable guides would work?
http://www.meelec.com/category_s/393.htm
If not, you could put memory wire inside of some rubber tubing?  Not too sure how thick the upgrade cable is though.
(2.5mm diameter)
http://www.fusionbeads.com/2-5mm-Black-Rubber-Tubing?CAGPSPN=pla&CAWELAID=120159990000079419&catargetid=120159990000087493&cadevice=c&gclid=CLqruNzQyccCFUUUHwodMwkD0A
or a wider tubing (4mm diameter)
http://www.amazon.com/Beadalon-Rubber-Tubing-4-0mm-5-Meter/dp/B0047BIU28

EDIT: nvm, I see what you mean.  Problem is, the memory tubing seems to be built into the cable and impossible to put on a completed cable.  It looks like the connectors would block you from putting them on.  They also seem to be built into the connectors?

You could also using some shrink tubing and shrinking it over some memory wire?  You could always cut it off if it doesn't work.

EDIT #2:  Yeah, the plastic memory tubing on iem cables seems to be just some regular clear rubber/plastic (not sure which) tubing over some memory wire.

Aug 27, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #2,156 of 5,804
i ordered the z5 from price japan i hope i will not be disappointed coming from shure 846, also i ordered the headstage arrow 5tx

Aug 27, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #2,158 of 5,804
If coming from SE846, you won't be disappointed.. If you were coming from a IE800, then you would be
smily_headphones1.gif

i previously considered the ie800 but some complained that it has harsh trebles

Aug 27, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #2,159 of 5,804
Aug 27, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #2,160 of 5,804

i ordered the z5 from price japan i hope i will not be disappointed coming from shure 846, also i ordered the headstage arrow 5tx

If coming from SE846, you won't be disappointed.. If you were coming from a IE800, then you would be
smily_headphones1.gif

and what about coming from XBA-H3, listening to classical music here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back