Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Jun 5, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #1,831 of 5,804
The difference between balanced and standard cables are subtle but significant. The Pono by itself is a great player though and it matches with the Z5 very well. I thinks it dynamic ability and considerable power increase over normal players really does take the Z5 to the next level.

So far the Pono has lived up to the hype in my opinion and considering other players of similar sonic ability cost way more and don't offer a balanced mode the Pono is a down right good deal.

I know I am beating a dead horse but if they had USB Dac functionality I would be all over it. I am basically stuck waiting for LH Geek out V2 to come out and see how it turns out, and it has a balanced output like Pono. They messed up the pre order thing by going over to IG and doing tiered delivery. Its frustrating to have a good iem like the Z5 and not having the gear to get the most out of it lol

Jun 5, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #1,832 of 5,804
I hear you! I got so frustrated that the Pono was not available in Canada I paid the dollar difference penalty to get it from the US.

So far I am loving the difference though and am glad I get to hear the Z5 unleashed. I am only having to turn the Pono to 1/4 the total volume to enjoy my music. So the 6db swing in dynamics ability mentioned in one of my earlier posts from the Pono community seems legit and makes the Z5 even that much more awesome.

I guess I am just gonna have to carry my toblerone everywhere :).

Jun 5, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #1,833 of 5,804
I hear you! I got so frustrated that the Pono was not available in Canada I paid the dollar difference penalty to get it from the US.

So far I am loving the difference though and am glad I get to hear the Z5 unleashed. I am only having to turn the Pono to 1/4 the total volume to enjoy my music. So the 6db swing in dynamics ability mentioned in one of my earlier posts from the Pono community seems legit and makes the Z5 even that much more awesome.

I guess I am just gonna have to carry my toblerone everywhere
smily_headphones1.gif

Agree with this of the pono, your tellings sound similar to my experience with my walkman > LOD > oppo HA-2 > (1R/H3) the detail retrieval is juts wow and the dynamics tooo, i am listening to these Domenico scarlatti sonatas boxset (the first one available worlwide in 1987 by Erato disques w/Scott Ross) some recordings (CDs) sounded quite dull and dry

Now the diference is quite substantial, they no longer sound dull and dry, they seem to have some more revrb, resonance, liveliness, airiness. This is with 16/44.1

Jun 6, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #1,834 of 5,804
Z5 has more clarity than 1p2? If that is correct, rather than having more extension, then I would be all over the Z5 like a kid in a sweet shop...

Problem is the Z5 isn't available in the UK and that is a supreme chance I'd have to take to import a pair, unheard, maybe not like them, and be out of pocket...

Not the kind of post I want to read (in a good way)

Jun 6, 2015 at 3:46 AM Post #1,835 of 5,804
OK here is an interesting situation. I have accidentally copied my HD Tracks flac files plus 256K MP3 conversions onto the Pono and I have no way of knowing which is which. Perfect accidental blind test! So I have been flipping between the same songs trying to determine which is which. So far I am having a hard time figuring out which is which. I think the first song is flac and the 2nd is mp3 but until I examine the files from my computer I can't really say for sure. So am not as much believer in the whole high definition file thing. But I imagine the quality of the flags probably increases the quality of the MP3 which may account for my difficulty somewhat. I do know have had clipping issues with some Music I have bought from Apple which I assume is due to overly aggressive compression from poor original source material.

Jun 6, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #1,836 of 5,804
OK here is an interesting situation. I have accidentally copied my HD Tracks flac files plus 256K MP3 conversions onto the Pono and I have no way of knowing which is which...

Double clilck the album art image and the Pono flips to a screen showing you the track details.  (ETA:  It they're both encoded to flac 16/44 it'll just give you that much info though...  If 24/88 or other it'll show.)

Jun 6, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #1,837 of 5,804
Funny conversation in the Sony Centre earlier, apparently Sony global decide which regions get which products, and Europe isn't deserving of the Z5, with the marketing being driven towards mid tier audio gear...

Guess it isn't the US that is getting screwed over anymore.

Jun 6, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #1,838 of 5,804
Funny conversation in the Sony Centre earlier, apparently Sony global decide which regions get which products, and Europe isn't deserving of the Z5, with the marketing being driven towards mid tier audio gear...

Guess it isn't the US that is getting screwed over anymore.

I was quite surprised when the Z5 became available in Canada and took a chance because of their return policy. Glad I did because these are the IEM I have ever owned. I have them and the Z7 and love them both but I think the Z5 actually is a bit better than the Z7.

Jun 6, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #1,839 of 5,804
I was quite surprised when the Z5 became available in Canada and took a chance because of their return policy. Glad I did because these are the IEM I have ever owned. I have them and the Z7 and love them both but I think the Z5 actually is a bit better than the Z7.

Try the A3 , I bought it after I had the Z5 for some months. The A3 is not better but it is different in a good way.

Jun 6, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #1,840 of 5,804

Yep I agree that on overall sq the Z5 beats the Z7. They both sound wonderfull imo balanced from the Pono, but where I wasn't impressed with the Z7 (se) out of the Hugo last week, the Z5 (se) made my jaw drop on the floor (it's still there
tongue.gif
)

Btw, I'm glad to read that you already like your Pono and trust me, it will even get better (at least mine did) after some weeks.
The revealer (with latest fw) is also a nice extra, you should try that...
beerchug.gif

Jun 6, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #1,841 of 5,804
Double clilck the album art image and the Pono flips to a screen showing you the track details.  (ETA:  It they're both encoded to flac 16/44 it'll just give you that much info though...  If 24/88 or other it'll show.)
Thanks I was right about which was flac but I would be lying if I said it was easy to hear the difference for most music. In the end it came down to drum hits sounding flatter in mp3 tracks and cymbals loosing shimmer. One album I found was an exception was JD Souther Natural History which easy better in FLAC and that album is affected more by dynamics.

So I agree with Niel Young's assertion but only to a degree and only if you have all the right gear,quiet environment, and time to critically listen to your music. So I won't be re-buying all my music. But for new music and possibly a few choice albums I might buy HD tracks or Pono versions. Thankfully I also ripped all my own CD music to flac so will use those flac versions.

Jun 6, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #1,842 of 5,804
Try the A3 , I bought it after I had the Z5 for some months. The A3 is not better but it is different in a good way.
Unfortunately the A3 is not available in Canada and like Duncan I am reluctant to import at this time. But I do hope to hear one some day.

Jun 6, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #1,843 of 5,804
Yep I agree that on overall sq the Z5 beats the Z7. They both sound wonderfull imo balanced from the Pono, but where I wasn't impressed with the Z7 (se) out of the Hugo last week, the Z5 (se) made my jaw drop on the floor (it's still there :p )

Btw, I'm glad to read that you already like your Pono and trust me, it will even get better (at least mine did) after some weeks.

The revealer (with latest fw) is also a nice extra, you should try that...

:beerchug:
I can't figure out how to use the revealer feature? I have a couple more days to decide if I will keep the Pono but I doubt I will send it back. I like it in single and balanced modes to much to let it go...

Jun 6, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #1,844 of 5,804
Unfortunately the A3 is not available in Canada and like Duncan I am reluctant to import at this time. But I do hope to hear one some day.

It's worth it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back