Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
May 29, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #1,816 of 5,804

Not sure if it might be an isolated issue with your unit but mine doesn't leak sound when blasting it. It leaks a bit but about 10 or 20 cm from my face I can't hear it. I doubt they could hear it over the sound of public transport. Ymmv

Thanks!  Sometimes it's not too bad but some tracks, maybe ones with more high end, can start to almost sound like when someone has their apple ear buds barely inserted. My coworker that sits next to me didn't complain but when I asked if they could hear music when I had them inserted it was a definitive 'yes'.

Soo I think I might try and give sony a call while I'm still under warranty. 

May 29, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #1,817 of 5,804

My bad, I got your messege wrong. Yes I agree one can hear a little bit of music coming from the Z5 and this will happen to many Iems with Dynamic Drivers. Even though I cant hear much with them in some sound does come out from the Drivers vent.

I think it's an acceptable trade off for the increased bass, but in my case it's maybe just a little too much sound. I'm the type of person that likes to go to museums and walk around listening to music at loud volumes and I feel like I'd get asked to turn it down by security. 

When it comes to doing something like sealing the vent, on these or any dynamic iem, would that really kill the bass or just alter it? I'd expect it to maybe get tighter and more punchy, and maybe no go as low, but not disappear, kind of like difference between closed and open back cans? Or do the dynamic drivers just physically need to relieve air pressure to create any bass?

May 29, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #1,818 of 5,804

I think it's an acceptable trade off for the increased bass, but in my case it's maybe just a little too much sound. I'm the type of person that likes to go to museums and walk around listening to music at loud volumes and I feel like I'd get asked to turn it down by security. 

When it comes to doing something like sealing the vent, on these or any dynamic iem, would that really kill the bass or just alter it? I'd expect it to maybe get tighter and more punchy, and maybe no go as low, but not disappear, kind of like difference between closed and open back cans? Or do the dynamic drivers just physically need to relieve air pressure to create any bass?

listen to your music and then place finger on the vent in the earpiece and hear the change.

May 29, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #1,819 of 5,804
If anyone wants to sell me the TRRS cable (on the assumption the Z5 comes with one like the Z7 does), drop me a PM :)

Jun 3, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #1,820 of 5,804
A member gave this rating on various IEMs that he played through his DX90 and Hugo combo :

+ Z5 = 9 (scales up with hugo)

+ 1p2 = 8,5 (slightly muffled compared to the Z5)

+ V6S = 8 (lots of details, but not the best soundstage)

+ PS500 = 9 (the PS500 turns into a dynamic beast
biggrin.gif
)

+ LCD2 = 8 (not the best synergy that I expected from it)

+ Z7 = 7,5 (btw, that would be a 8,5 balanced from Pono)

Jun 3, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #1,821 of 5,804
  A member gave this rating on various IEMs that he played through his DX90 and Hugo combo :

+ PS500 = 9 (the PS500 turns into a dynamic beast
biggrin.gif
)

Lol, that must have been my evil twin brother
wink.gif

beerchug.gif

Jun 3, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #1,823 of 5,804
I didnt want to expose the guy cause he might have many attackers looking for him after they read this ratings. I cannot disagree with it at all.

Well, I've ordered these some minutes ago...

...you know, just in case...
biggrin.gif

Jun 3, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #1,824 of 5,804

+ PS500 = 9 (the PS500 turns into a dynamic beast :D )

Wow, beating the 1plus2 for clarity, that's unexpected.

Jun 3, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #1,825 of 5,804
I should have my Pono by Friday. Going down and picking up a 128GB card in anticipation :). If I don't like it I will just use the card in my LG G3 and sell the Pono. I have a distinct feeling I will like it though :). I saw this comment in the Pono community that has me pretty excited. The first part was comfirmation about the 128GB card. But that second point looks very good to me.

About the only two things you can do are:

1) Buy a 128 GB micro-SD card for more capacity.

2) Replace (or possibly mod) your headphone cables for balanced operation. By the way, in balanced mode the dynamic range of the player increases almost 6 dB and gives pretty much the same benefit as new the ESS DAC chip.

Jun 5, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #1,827 of 5,804
PONO IN THE HOUSE!!! ...

Unfortunately I'm NOT :frowning2: LOL.

Anyway expect some early results later tonight or tomorrow :)

Jun 5, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #1,828 of 5,804
PONO IN THE HOUSE!!! ...

Unfortunately I'm NOT
frown.gif
LOL.

Anyway expect some early results later tonight or tomorrow
smily_headphones1.gif

Looking forward to hearing your first impressions! Will you be using the stock balanced cables or do you have different ones? 

Still wish they would open back up the usb-dac feature, I'm sure this is all about trying to get people to spend money in the pono store, which, ok, that's their prerogative, but I just can't bring myself to purchase digital media... But would love to use the pono with Tidal :/

Jun 5, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #1,829 of 5,804
90% of my music are FLACs or MP3s made from my own CD's. But I also wish they had put that feature in...

I am going to do a pick 2-3 tunes I know very well and listen to them with the current single ended cable I have on my Z5 (I am using an iPhone H3 cable currently). Then I will use the stock balance cable and note any differences. I will not be swapping the Z5 cables a lot though as I feel this can lead to premature failure of the IEM. I will do a lot more extensive testing between balanced and unbalanced with the Z7 though as that cable is better designed to be swapped.

Jun 5, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #1,830 of 5,804
The difference between balanced and standard cables are subtle but significant. The Pono by itself is a great player though and it matches with the Z5 very well. I thinks it dynamic ability and considerable power increase over normal players really does take the Z5 to the next level.

So far the Pono has lived up to the hype in my opinion and considering other players of similar sonic ability cost way more and don't offer a balanced mode the Pono is a down right good deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back