Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
May 23, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #1,771 of 5,804

Wouldn't the velvets be the opposite of what he's looking for? :p They are nice and warm like the Z5. Speaking of which I want the velvets so bad but no place to audition them in Canada. I hear they are like Z5 on steroids.

I definitely wouldn't say that - the Velvets are much more airy and far less warm than the Z5, on any of the 3 settings.  They are like the Z5 in that they are smooth, non-sibilant, and warmer than neutral...

May 23, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #1,772 of 5,804
  just got my Z5 yesterday, and i love the sound!!!!! i just used it with my fiio e17k +e12a combo, and my DX90, i think Z5 makes me smile again.., thanks to erik and daniel hokaido for recommendation!!!!!!

Great! Glad to read that you like your Z5
biggrin.gif

Just curious, do you think your Z5 sounds best straight out of the DX90 or does it even gets better using the E12A with it?

May 23, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #1,773 of 5,804
Great! Glad to read that you like your Z5 :D

Just curious, do you think your Z5 sounds best straight out of the DX90 or does it even gets better using the E12A with it?

Hai Erik! i think i love it direct from DX90, i dont know why. lately i often thinking about overamping, i think it will make me fatigue faster.

when i use E12A, i think i can analyze more, but i enjoy less. but when i use it straight up from my DX90, i can smile and enjoy my song..

sorry for how bad i define it.., hehehe.., terima kasih erik!

May 23, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #1,774 of 5,804
Hai Erik! i think i love it direct from DX90, i dont know why. lately i often thinking about overamping, i think it will make me fatigue faster.

when i use E12A, i think i can analyze more, but i enjoy less. but when i use it straight up from my DX90, i can smile and enjoy my song..

sorry for how bad i define it.., hehehe.., terima kasih erik!

Thanks!

I also think that Z5 with DX90 (on latest fw) has incredible synergy and doesn't benefit from amping (at least not with the 2 amps I've got). I always use my DX90 on high gain though...

Enjoy your music / new Z5
beerchug.gif

May 23, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #1,775 of 5,804
Nope is not bias, switching form H to L-gain the XBA-H3 have a bit of hollowness in their sound, if i remove the HA-2 and play them directly from the Headphones jack of my A17 they sound like crap, hollow sound in the mids and subbass, they sound weird

switching to H-Gain on the HA.2 and they sound full-bodied and neutral

May 23, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #1,776 of 5,804
Nope is not bias, switching form H to L-gain the XBA-H3 have a bit of hollowness in their sound, if i remove the HA-2 and play them directly from the Headphones jack of my A17 they sound like crap, hollow sound in the mids and subbass, they sound weird

switching to H-Gain on the HA.2 and they sound full-bodied and neutral

This is the Z5 thread.

May 25, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #1,778 of 5,804
Hey All!

I'm looking to add another great iem to my collection. I currently have TripleFi 10 & GR07. My favorite music varies between Dubstep, Psy Trance, Vocal Trance to Classical and Jazz. My favorite areas of a sound signature are sub bass and sparkly highs with a pretty wide soundstage.

The Z5 is definitely out of my price range, but would the Sony XBA A3's be what I'm looking for?

May 25, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #1,779 of 5,804
Hey All!

I'm looking to add another great iem to my collection. I currently have TripleFi 10 & GR07. My favorite music is varies Dubstep, Psy Trance, Vocal Trance to Classical and Jazz.My favorite areas of a sound signature are sub bass and sparkly highs with a pretty wide soundstage.

The Z5 is definitely out of my price range, but would the Sony XBA A3's be what I'm looking for?

Sounds like your cup of tea. 

May 25, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #1,783 of 5,804
  Why do you consider that thick sound equals netural?

I think that a natural sound is the most airy one, as every instrument when used in a live experience has lots of air around it.

A3 mids are not forwards which makes it more V Shape while the Z5 mids are not as forwards as the 846 but it is more up front compared to the A3.

May 25, 2015 at 7:31 AM Post #1,784 of 5,804

A3 mids are not forwards which makes it more V Shape while the Z5 mids are not as forwards as the 846 but it is more up front compared to the A3.

I guess that i am trying to avoid anything that is labeled as thick, as i am pretty much not really into mid bass humps, and these make the sound sometimes sound thick.

May 25, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #1,785 of 5,804
  I guess that i am trying to avoid anything that is labeled as thick, as i am pretty much not really into mid bass humps, and these make the sound sometimes sound thick.

Again the Z5 mid is not upfront like the Shure 846 the mids on the z5 is not thin and not up front but more neutral especially compared to the A3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back