Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
May 14, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #1,651 of 5,804

I had seen that the discussion began to turn into a pro vs con z5.

I wonder if z5 can be compared to ie800 in any way?.. 

I, for one, am not really searching for the most neutral in ear monitor, ie800 itself is pretty far from neutral, but i really love it's sound.

I have tried the e800 on several occasions and to me Z5 has a thicker midrange with more bass. To me Z5 has a more holographic soundstage. IE800 has stronger treble, very impressive clarity and also good soundstage but it is more fatiguing compare to Z5.

Z5, when amped, sounds like no other iem I have come across. It needs to be played at higher volumes to sound good and it sounds like a pair of over ears. Amazing for music, movies and games. Its so smooth and detailed and the separation and layering is stupendous. The better the amp and synergy, the more you will get out of. It sounds awesome sauce out of my ****ty amps so I would imagine it would sounds pretty sick out of proper gear. While there are many iems that have better technical performance, but not many that can portray music the way the Z5. Their enhanced bass turns a lot of people off but I find their bass tightens up with better amping. I wish I could try it out with a PHA-3 to see what its true potential is. 

Hi, and which are your crappy amps
biggrin.gif
?

May 14, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #1,653 of 5,804
In the Z7 thread the balanced Pono is said to be a great match with the Z7 so is it also a good match with the Z5?. I know you can't go wrong with the PHA-3 but Danny that's an expensive AMP.

May 14, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #1,654 of 5,804
Fiio E17 and SMSL M2 :p  I was speaking relatively of course :wink:

Today i had some money form my bank acount and got the tax return money so i couldn't resis t the burning-hole
biggrin.gif
 and bought the HA-2, i got ajust by one day or less than one day below the 3000 pesos balance average limit on my debit card :D who cares, tomorrow i get paid my check so i deposit the card so that amount shall go back into normal

May 14, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #1,655 of 5,804
  Today i had some money form my bank acount and got the tax return money so i couldn't resis t the burning-hole
biggrin.gif
 and bought the HA-2, i got ajust by one day or less than one day below the 3000 pesos balance average limit on my debit card :D who cares, tomorrow i get paid my check so i deposit the card so that amount shall go back into normal

same tecnique!!!!! i think the same way when buying audio thing!

May 15, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #1,656 of 5,804
You won't be disappointed with the ha-2 + z5. I took a cue from HBB's adventures with the asg2.5 and just recently switched it to high gain as I found I could max out volume on low - it was loud as hell on max volume of course but I wanted to see how they handled the more power and now at about 2 and half on the volume pod the bass will blow your brains out :D

May 15, 2015 at 3:46 AM Post #1,657 of 5,804
In the Z7 thread the balanced Pono is said to be a great match with the Z7 so is it also a good match with the Z5?. I know you can't go wrong with the PHA-3 but Danny that's an expensive AMP.

Yes, Z5 also matches very well with Pono in balanced mode. It's one of my 2 favorite portable sets at the moment.

Btw, imo Z5 also has great synergy straight out of DX90 on it's latest FW 2.2.0

I was also on the fence for a PHA-3 some time ago. I could buy an almost new one for €425. But then I found out that it (EU version) had no battery and because I mainly wanted to use it portable (+ X5/DX90), I completely lost interest at that point
redface.gif

May 15, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #1,661 of 5,804
  Decided I should sell my Z5 since I am not a Sony dealer, I haven't used them much, what do you think is a fair price for a used set with all accessories and box, etc..?

I'm never sure what to charge for used gear either but if it helps I paid USD$529 new on Amazon from a guy who was importing them from hong kong I believe so my guess is they would still go for around that price.

May 15, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #1,663 of 5,804

$450 maybe?

That's about what I priced mine. Prepare to bump that listing for some time though lol. Not many people here are interested in the Z5. It took me several months to sell my pair. 

May 15, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #1,664 of 5,804
Yeah adjusting to your norm to something new is a challenge but a fun challenge. Also the Sound Stage will be a huge improvement.

Well, I got my Z5's in today. Spent only around 3 hours till now, but I'm already sold on them. Superb. You can just tell when something is just going to have synergy with the rest of your equipment. What took me by surprise was that the larger, harder silicone tips they came in the box are the way to go for me. The L comply sized foams that worked so well on the triple-fi's could hardly fit in my ears ( T-200's ), so I tried Medium comply's as well, but they took some of that brilliant 3d soundstage I'm getting from the Z5's away. I've been using the Z5's with the fiio e12a amp from the start and I don't see me having any need to use them un-amped, so hopefully that will help with the burn in.

Just one last thing I was going to ask. If you were going to upgrade your DAP, what do you think would be a good match for the Sony's and the fiio amp? Would something like fiio's x5 or ibasso's dx-90 be a good choice? I've already tried sony's nwz-a17 with my triple-fi's, but I wasn't sold on the interface and the sound wasn't as spectacular as I was hoping for. Maybe I need to revisit it again to see what it sounds like with these Z5's.

So, to sum up. Bass unbelievable, soundstage incredible, fit actually better than the triple-fi's. Amped is the way to go from the start. Burning in should be interesting. Overall, very happy with the purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back