Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Apr 25, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #1,531 of 5,804
I have owned both and the Z5 improves the sound in every area possible in my opinion. The bass is more detailed and textured (but also a smidge lighter and controlled), the midrange is much more forward and engaging getting rid of the V shaped sound, treble is is as extended but again is more detailed, sound stage is also more 3D.

But the cables are not as comfortable and the Z5 does not have a Mic cable. I ended up trading an extra pair of balanced cables I aquired through warranty repairs for an H3 Mic cable and am very happy though, you could use your H3 cable or you could buy the Kimber upgrade cable for Sony.

Apr 25, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #1,533 of 5,804

Upgraded in which sense, new cables or adding an amp?

I think he wants to know if it is worth spending money on the Z5 because he already has the He. I would rather lose my 846 or JH13 then lose my Z5.

I have the H3 i've modded them and they sound better (sans sponge filters) and plan to get an amp, but adding a copper thick cable (braided) or silver cable looks tempting too

Apr 25, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #1,535 of 5,804

Upgraded in which sense, new cables or adding an amp?

Exactly as my post states. From the XBA H3 to the new top of the line XBA Z5.  What is the difference. Is it worth the investment?

I'm planning to buy the Oppo HA-2, i've heard on this forum is worht of it (but is Z5's) hope my H3 Get a great sound too

Apr 25, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #1,536 of 5,804
I have stated how I feel about the Z5 vs the H3. I believe you will find some other posts from others through this thread as well. The only way the H3 will be considered equal is if you love the exact way it's signature is presented otherwise the Z5 is improved technically over the H3 sonically speaking due to more detail retrieval as well as build quality from the IEM body perspective as it is smaller and made from metal. The only area I prefer the H3 on is the way the memory wire is done as compared to the Z5.

Apr 25, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #1,537 of 5,804
I have stated how I feel about the Z5 vs the H3. I believe you will find some other posts from others through this thread as well. The only way the H3 will be considered equal is if you love the exact way it's signature is presented otherwise the Z5 is improved technically over the H3 sonically speaking due to more detail retrieval as well as build quality from the IEM body perspective as it is smaller and made from metal. The only area I prefer the H3 on is the way the memory wire is done as compared to the Z5.

Appreciate the input dweaver. Will seriously consider the Z5. 

Apr 29, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #1,538 of 5,804
Just stopping to by to mention that it's been over a month and the z5 with oppo ha-2 is still amazing and basically ruined all other iem's for me right now.

On burn-in:
The dynamic driver has burned-in nicely with the typical improvements to bass control and extension (it goes hella low). The mids and highs haven't really changed, I've never been able to perceive burn-in on BA drivers, if anything, it's always just been brain burn-in and getting used to the sound. My favorite BA iem's from awhile ago were the westone um2's, and they sound the same today as they did brand new. Anyway, if anyone's curious, it feels like the bass will calm down and start to match the music you throw at it around 50 hours. 

Apr 29, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #1,539 of 5,804
  Just stopping to by to mention that it's been over a month and the z5 with oppo ha-2 is still amazing and basically ruined all other iem's for me right now.

On burn-in:
The dynamic driver has burned-in nicely with the typical improvements to bass control and extension (it goes hella low). The mids and highs haven't really changed, I've never been able to perceive burn-in on BA drivers, if anything, it's always just been brain burn-in and getting used to the sound. My favorite BA iem's from awhile ago were the westone um2's, and they sound the same today as they did brand new. Anyway, if anyone's curious, it feels like the bass will calm down and start to match the music you throw at it around 50 hours. 

Well once I found a good amp for the Z5 I have not looked for my JH13, JH16, or any other IEM. The Z5 does it better.

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #1,540 of 5,804
I just received a pair of Rockets I ordered last year and I am very surprised at how similar the midrange is between them and the Z5. But the Z5 simply slays the Rockets when it comes to bass, treble, sound stage and pretty much everything else.

Apr 30, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #1,541 of 5,804
Mycomplys arrived today, the variety pack.

trying out first sports tips first.. size medium

They stay on my ears, they isolate so-so, maybe it's the XBA-H3 vent but i cannot hear anymore typing on the keyboard.,

They are not as comfortable as the isolation plus i had before, perhaps because they are sports and they are porous, thel feel a lil bit itchy but not as hell like the sony Hybrids with foam inside

The sound well my XBA-H3 got bassier.

ISOLATION

They are better in comfort soft and nice they make my ear canal feel a bit warm like when feverish
also stay on my ears well, isolation is a lil better than the sony hybrids (both types) begginign to suspect the vent is the culprit of so-so isol. on H3's EDIT: feverish heat feeling went a way after a while

the sound of my H3's got a bit weird, like there is more bass than mids & highs

COMFORT

For me the best of the bunch in terms of comfort, love them, super soft

isolation is muuuuuch better than isolation and sports, what an irony for the isolation ones
biggrin.gif

sound quality similar to that of isolation deep extending bass but a bit lessened

1. Sporst itchy, bassier, non isolating
  2. Isolation, bit less bass than sports, heating feeling during intial expansion of the foam, a bit better at isolating than sports but not so, they are as the sony hybrids at this dept.
  3. Comfort, softer, non itchy, greater isolation than sports and isolaition, soundquality remains almost unchanged from isolation but i noted a tad bit less bass

Next buy will be then comfort

One caveat they arrived after two months... thnaks Mexican post system #$%&!!!!!

May 2, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #1,542 of 5,804
Has anyone tried z5 with zx1? I currently have a pair of westone w40 but I am not satisfied with their reduced treble and narrow soundstage. The female vocal sounds dark and some guitar solo unclear. So is sony z5 suitable for heavy metal and rock? Thanks.

May 2, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #1,543 of 5,804
  Has anyone tried z5 with zx1? I currently have a pair of westone w40 but I am not satisfied with their reduced treble and narrow soundstage. The female vocal sounds dark and some guitar solo unclear. So is sony z5 suitable for heavy metal and rock? Thanks.

The Z5 is perfect for Heavy Metal Classic Rock, 90s Rock. I tried the Z5 on the ZX2 and it sounded very nice but the Z5 with a nice amp will bring out the best from the Z5. With a good portable amp the Z5 excels into the Custom IEM world.

May 3, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #1,545 of 5,804
  The Z5 is perfect for Heavy Metal Classic Rock, 90s Rock. I tried the Z5 on the ZX2 and it sounded very nice but the Z5 with a nice amp will bring out the best from the Z5. With a good portable amp the Z5 excels into the Custom IEM world.

do u mean the zx2 alone wont drive the z5 to full potential

Users who are viewing this thread

Back